Olympics Results You Disagreed With | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Olympics Results You Disagreed With

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Add me to the list of those who think Kostner should have won gold in 2014.

In terms of Hanyu vs Chan I think Chan made too many mistakes to deserve gold but nobody produced an Olympic champion worthy competition.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I think Goebel should have at least been in second in SLC, and I would have given him way higher technical marks than Yagudin and potentially the gold. He was perfect with 3 quads while Yagudin and Plushenko made errors in their FS but were placed ahead because of de facto better artistry - although Goebel had some lovely transitions and again did THREE quads.

Elvis should have won 1994 hands down.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I think Goebel should have at least been in second in SLC, and I would have given him way higher technical marks than Yagudin and potentially the gold. He was perfect with 3 quads while Yagudin and Plushenko made errors in their FS but were placed ahead because of de facto better artistry - although Goebel had some lovely transitions and again did THREE quads.

I don't think it's unpopular to have Goebel second for exactly the reasons you said. And I even have the same reason for the silver - highest tech score in LP, and I think he also deserved to beat Plushenko in the LP artistic mark, or at least tie. But I had him too behind Yagudin in the SP on both marks, and he also deserved a lower artistic score in the LP compared to him. I do like his LP a lot though.

Typing that made me realize how easy PCS categories make it to discuss things in a way :laugh: (but not in other ways :p)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I'm surprised no one brought up 1994 Ladies yet.
I had no problems with the outcome, but I remember it being at least a little controversial at the time.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Add me to the list of those who think Kostner should have won gold in 2014.

In terms of Hanyu vs Chan I think Chan made too many mistakes to deserve gold but nobody produced an Olympic champion worthy competition.

Elvis should have won 1994 hands down.

Goebel made "serious error" on the 3A (back in the day serious, now not so much). Yagudin had serious lean on 3F however he didnt touchdown, so that was considered better.

I agree with Goebels being silver, but Yagudin had the performance of the night for me.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
In 2002 Goebel wasn't perfect he stepped out in 3A. ;). Some minutes ago I watched both programs in a row. No. Goebel's had zero artistry, no expressivity, some weird moves and yes some nice TRs. But no more. BORING. And you don't forget Plushenko landed in 4-3-3 yes, he stepped out in 3rd jumps but that was the first in history as well as the 3A-1Lo-3F.

This will be unpopular opinion here, in North-Am, but Plushenko should have won in 2010. You can explain if he would have landed in 3 jumps combo...etc, but the key was in SP scores. Laysacek scores was too high that was over 90 without quad. He received too high PCS it was higher as Takahashi's PCS. LOL! I had debate with CSG and BoP over the years in different threads thus we can't say new things to each other in this matter :laugh:

After the competition ten thousands people signed the petition against the final results. There were many fans who wrote directly to the IOC, ISU, he had supporters in everywhere not only in Russia as you like to think it. As a result of the protest the ISU has changed the rules in 2010. And started the new quad era in FS.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
In 2002 Goebel wasn't perfect he stepped out in 3A. ;). Some minutes ago I watched both programs in a row. No. Goebel's had zero artistry, no expressivity, some weird moves and yes some nice TRs. But no more. BORING. And you don't forget Plushenko landed in 4-3-3 yes, he stepped out in 3rd jumps but that was the first in history as well as the 3A-1Lo-3F.
Plushy fell on a UR quad in the SP though, and had no combo. We can maybe say URs didn't matter much in 6.0 but that is it.

Why Oksana had only one jump combination?

Uh, because she couldn't jump them? :laugh:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I really don't know lol. She did do a 3Lz+2T in the SP after all. Maybe someone familiar with what she's said about her skating can speak :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
A jump combo was required, but it didn't *have* to be a Triple jump combo, that's why she threw in that wonky 2Axel+2Toe combo at the very end of her program (which actually ended up being good musically, but yeah, she did not have the technical goods to beat Kerrigan).

Skatesocs

Final Flight
A jump combo was required, but it didn't *have* to be a Triple jump combo, that's why she threw in that wonky 2Axel+2Toe combo at the very end of her program (which actually ended up being good musically, but yeah, she did not have the technical goods to beat Kerrigan).

Not combo but a sequence right? Or was Chen Lu's 3Lz+step+2T considered a combo at that point?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Was there a real, written requirement for a combination? Or just a requirement as in “you need one to win?” Oksana did an inside Axel + 2A sequence in 1993, which was unique and still pretty difficult; I don’t know why she didn’t try it in 1994.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Let me to correct some results too.

1. Harding above Baul
2. Pluschenko above Lysacek
3. Slutskaya above Huges
4. Orser above Boytano
5. Team Russia above Canada

Sorry, too many Americans won for the sake of good money. Want to win? Be rich...

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

1. Harding above Baul
2. Pluschenko above Lysacek
3. Slutskaya above Huges
4. Orser above Boytano

Sorry, too many Americans won for the sake of good money. Want to win? Be rich...

Just out of interest why Oser above Boitano? Orser had 1 less 3A, a step out of a 3F, and not that much better skating skills. I'm surprised they were so generous with tech score compared to Boitanos skate with much superior jumps.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Orser above Boytano for nothing more that I like him much more. It's enough for me to attempt to edit the past illegally.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Was there a real, written requirement for a combination?

Not combo but a sequence right? Or was Chen Lu's 3Lz+step+2T considered a combo at that point?

At least one combo or sequence was required, but it's debatable if something like having a long break on a landing and then doing a step into a 2T should even be considered a sequence. Chen's split jump into 3Toe was more of a sequence really. However, if you were repeating multiple Triple jumps in a program, it *was* required that one of them be strictly in combination and not just sequence.

This will be unpopular opinion here, in North-Am, but Plushenko should have won in 2010. You can explain if he would have landed in 3 jumps combo...etc, but the key was in SP scores. Laysacek scores was too high that was over 90 without quad. He received too high PCS it was higher as Takahashi's PCS. LOL! I had debate with CSG and BoP over the years in different threads thus we can't say new things to each other in this matter :laugh:

Hey, I agree Plushenko had a better LP than Lysacek! Both of them were very overrated to me though. They are so much shallower and slower and less intricate than the Japanese guys, and both of them had very lazy program construction and worse artistry to me. Plushenko's jumps were weird in that performance too, he didn't have his normal quality, a lot of them were tilted in the air.

1. Harding above Baul
3. Slutskaya above Huges
4. Orser above Boytano

In what world would Harding with that performance deserve to beat Baiul (that's what you meant right?) or the Russian team with their showing deserve to win in 2018? Orser over Boitano is hard for me to take serious too, he was technically weaker in 3 different areas, and Boitano's performance and skating was stunning.

And the Ladies event 2002, I would love to see how many people would be arguing for Slutskaya with those performances if she had been some unknown skater from Hungary (like, say, Julia Sebestyen). Almost nobody, I am quite sure. Her skating was superficial and cautious. She didn't hit the tech content, she didn't show good choreography or musicality, she didn't have great form, and she didn't even show a great amount of speed in that performance. She should have been off the podium.

Orser above Boytano for nothing more that I like him much more. It's enough for me to attempt to edit the past illegally.

Oh, you're just a troll. Okay.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
At least one combo or sequence was required, but it's debatable if something like having a long break on a landing and then doing a step into a 2T should even be considered a sequence. Chen's split jump into 3Toe was more of a sequence really. However, if you were repeating multiple Triple jumps in a program, it *was* required that one of them be strictly in combination and not just sequence.
Oh I love those splits into toe loops! Usually they're split flips, so I pretend they're a flip+3T :laugh:

Hey, I agree Plushenko had a better LP than Lysacek! Both of them were very overrated to me though. They are so much shallower and slower and less intricate than the Japanese guys, and both of them had very lazy program construction and worse artistry to me. Plushenko's jumps were weird in that performance too, he didn't have his normal quality, a lot of them were tilted in the air.
And also Kozuka deserved a medal retroactively for this:

https://youtu.be/Q8LY-5Rkiwg

And aha! You agree about Slutskaya being 4th at best! But I would ask them what "the board" means before responding further lol

About Sochi ladies, i only think that Mao Asada should have won the FS.

The only Sochi opinion that matters :rock: