2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah to me it sounds like Avonley is continuing to skate but Vadym is not. Such a shame.

Vadym *is* looking for a new partner (as is Avonley).

I am copying into this thread larat's posts from June 30 in the U.S. ice dance thread:

Vadim said he would continue skating and is looking for a new partner possibly outside of US

Although I will miss Avonley and Vadym's partnership terribly :sad4:, I hope that they both will find promising new partnerships. :pray:

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Polina Edmunds has retired. She announced it on an interview she was doing for a podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...lympian-team-usa/id1497431036?i=1000485010691

Basically, she says that if covid hadn't happened, she would be training for Beijing, but that she needs the competing and training due to her injury. She says she looks back on her career and is proud of what she has accomplished, and satisfied. She now wants to turn to more career oriented opportunities, and doesn't want training to stop her from taking these opportunities. She wants to get into sports media broadcasting but is also interested in marketing and PR. She said she'll never leave skating completely, and plans on doing shows and seminars.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Sad to hear that because she was interesting and charismatic, but health comes first. She managed to end her competitive career on a high note with that EC medal. Good luck to her in her further life!

surimi

Record Breaker
:scratch2: I have her in the OP as a new pair with Nazarov. Is this a new partnership then, or did the previously mentioned one never exist?

danse

On the Ice
It was mentioned on TSL that Zachary Daleman and Justine Brasseur are skating together now, training with Meagan Duhamel and Bruno Marcotte. I guess he split with Patricia Andrew.

surimi

Record Breaker
^ just making sure, they'll be skating for Canada I suppose? I'm adding counry labels to the OP for those who don't follow skating in depth, so I want to be sure.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^ just making sure, they'll be skating for Canada I suppose? I'm adding counry labels to the OP for those who don't follow skating in depth, so I want to be sure.
Neither is a citizen of any other country, so far as I’m aware, so that would be a safe bet.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Isabella Gamez and David-Alexandre Paradis, pairs team representing the Philippines, have split.
They were the first pairs skaters to represent the Philippines in ISU competition and the first Southeast Asian pair team to qualify for the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, where they finished 9th.
In her post on Instagram , Isabella says she intends to continue competing and will look for a new partner, she also wishes David the best of luck continuing his coaching career.

Country
Norway
Senior skater Marianne Stålen from Norway did announce her retirement on IG a few days ago. The news was a bit surprising to me, as she was originally picked to be part of the norwegian national team for the upcoming season, and the club showed a video earlier this summer where she tested new skates. She did also attend summer camp earlier this summer.

I guess she did change her mind somewhere during the summer, and maybe there was lack of motivation or the need to focus on the future after skating, as she is 21 years old.

Marianne had the TES SP minimum for EC, and she was only 0.78 points away from the minimum in the FS, earned in Reykjavik International Games earlier this year, where she also won her first international title. As there is no other female senior skater in Norway who has the minimum required for EC, she was probably the most eligible candidate to participate in the next EC for Norway.

She did end her career on a good note, with two almost error-free programs in The Nordics, where she got a new PB with 124.09 points overall. At the Norwegian Championships 2020, she was aiming for the gold, and placed 2th in the SP, but only got the bronze as she didn´t have the best FS.

Best of luck to Marianne!

surimi

Record Breaker
Added Valentina Marchei and Daria Panenkova to OP. I am surprised to find out that all singles skaters who have announced their retirements so far, are ladies. There were men singles aged 30 or even more who competed on top level last season, and I am amazed (and pleased) to find out they are apparently still competitive!

MaHa75

On the Ice
Valentina Marchei was my favorite for years...she always was so positive and shiny.person! Good luck to her!