Which are the best elements ever of each type? | Golden Skate

Which are the best elements ever of each type?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Aka what should score the maximum GOE. Or maybe you think something less than the very best should score perfect GOE ;) I'll link some videos in later, but I'm especially interested in amazing quads, combos, throw jumps, step sequences/footwork/choreography sequence.

And I'd love to disagree with anyone who thinks Sasha Cohen's Spiral Sequence in her Torino LP isn't the very definitive one :biggrin:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Best quad: Easy. Kolyada’s 4Lz in Cup of China SP. Sure it was the only time he landed it, but in my not-so-humble opinion, that’s the definite 4Lz. Like ISU needs to be showing that jump if they have videos on what a 4Lz is supposed to look like. Gorgeous height, effortless, and he didn’t land on ice. He landed on butter. Beautiful jump.

Best 3A: Two way tie between Han Yan’s 3A in the SP at 2014 and 2018 Olympics. The height and distance he covers is utterly ridiculous. I joked once on here that his 3A covers three car lengths. Matter of fact, I think he did get perfect marks on one of those 3As.

Best spin: Caroline Zhang’s layback in 4CC 2012 FS. I almost wept at the classic layback position and length of time she held the Biellman.

Best step sequence: This one was hard, but all the skaters I thought of happen to be Japanese. I’ll stick with Mao Asada. 2012 GPF FS. I can’t even remember what she was skating to but I remember those damn twizzles.

That’s it. Those are my 5s. I’m stingy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Best spin: Caroline Zhang’s layback in 4CC 2012 FS. I almost wept at the classic layback position and length of time she held the Biellman.

I love to watch her spin and skate in general. Were you referring to her signature Pearl Spin position, hyperextended Biellman or both? :)

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I was referring to her pearl spin. What I love the most about that spin was the transition from pearl to Biellman. It’s stunning and gives the illusion that she’s growing before your very eyes. But since you mentioned it, yup, she had a great hyperextended Biellman too. She also had a pretty good I-spin, hitting the same position as Lipnitskaia.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I would give the best 4Lz to Boyang Jin. Compared to Kolyada's, which also excellent, I think it's overall a little more smooth and effortless, and it covers a lot of distance, too, which is my favorite thing to see in a jump. Also it's more on the music.

Sasha Cohen had the best overall spiral sequences, after she cleaned up her edge control in the later half of her career.

If combinations count, then I'll go with Hanyu for his 4T+3T. Out of footwork, good height, and he does it with good speed and flow while keeping a very nice body position throughout it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Been watching skating for about 20yrs :slink:

Best spin in terms of execution, style, and camera work for me is this one from Yulia at GPF 2013

https://youtu.be/J7hFOJRCPHU&2m25s

(Tried to time stamp 2:25....hope it worked)

If not click here and scroll to 2:25 :)

Totally should of maxed out the GOE. Only worth 3.51 points :sad21:

Rabid fan but still swear this was One of her best moments ever

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Been watching skating for about 20yrs :slink:

Best spin in terms of execution, style, and camera work for me is this one from Yulia at GPF 2013

https://youtu.be/J7hFOJRCPHU&2m25s

(Tried to time stamp 2:25....hope it worked)

If not click here and scroll to 2:25 :)

Totally should of maxed out the GOE. Only worth 3.51 points :sad21:

Rabid fan but still swear this was her best moment ever fresh off of a “disappointing” olympics.

I like it, but I like the combo spin in it even more!

I think this is another contender for the best layback, from Karen Chen's 2017 Nationals SP https://youtu.be/qluCjnFUYwU?t=183

Or this one from Alissa Csizny's 2011 nationals LP: https://youtu.be/E8gvqVM3fh0?t=285

I would give the best 4Lz to Boyang Jin. Compared to Kolyada's, which also excellent, I think it's overall a little more smooth and effortless, and it covers a lot of distance, too, which is my favorite thing to see in a jump. Also it's more on the music.

Sasha Cohen had the best overall spiral sequences, after she cleaned up her edge control in the later half of her career.

I agree that Jin to me has the best 4Lz bar none, but the one Kolyada did at 2017 CoC is on par with that one because of the sheer amount of height he gets.

And Sasha's LP one went with the music better :biggrin:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I think this might be the best ever forward camel position followed by a transition into a perfect scratch spin, and she does the spin out of a skid spiral to boot. (Sasha Cohen, 2003 Skate Canada LP) https://youtu.be/Vg_21BWW754?t=121

And her layback at 3 min 25 seconds too! Her attitude position was perfect.

I think this camel into scratch is even better: https://youtu.be/XsEFGq9uW5U?t=207 (Campbell 2003)

And a great camel here too, but not as perfect on the scratch spin. https://youtu.be/EFtGt_s0JSY?t=144 (Skate America 2003)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
3F: Jason Brown.
4F: Nathan chen.
3Lz: Mikhail Kolyada
4Lz: Mikhail Kolyada / Boyang Jin (Kolyada was great on the 3 times he did it - high, powerful, effortless - but lacks consistency).
4Lo: Hanyu.
4S: Javier Fernandez.
4T Hanyu.
3A: Hanyu / Kolyada / Yagudin (If you discount difficult entrances then I'd put Kolyada for raw jump). Yagudin has most height.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
3F: Jason Brown.

I don't see Brown having the best 3F ever though, maybe only currently. I actually think it's women who have the best 3F. For me, I've never seen anyone do better than Midori Ito's best executions of that jump. In case we are talking about 3F+3T that instead belongs to Yuna Kim.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I don't see Brown having the best 3F ever though, maybe only currently. I actually think it's women who have the best 3F. For me, I've never seen anyone do better than Midori Ito's best executions of that jump. In case we are talking about 3F+3T that instead belongs to Yuna Kim.

technically I see this as the best 3F for me: https://youtu.be/cNC-IL2I88g?t=54- superb difficult entry, height, flow, edge, takeoff pick. It just can't be beaten in my eyes.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I will start with men quadruple (and 3A) jumps in recent history based on quality of the jump defined by ISU GOE points:
1. best 4Lz - Nathan Chen WC 2019 FP - 4 GOE
2. best 4F - Nathan Chen GPF 2018 FP - 4 GOE
3. best 4Lo - Yuzuru Hanyu GPF 2019 FP - 4 GOE
3. best 4S - Yuzuru Hanyu FCC 2020 SP - 4.5 GOE
4. best 4T - Yuzuru Hanyu RC 2018 FP - 4.5 GOE
5. best 3A - Yuzuru Hanyu SC 2019 SP - 5 GOE
I see people prefer Kolayda and Jin 4Lz, but Nathan 4Lz's seems better integrated in the programme, so he has an edge for me... Kolayda 4Lz at Cup of China is fairly telegraphed and a little wild in the air, so it can get max +3 GOE from me...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I didn't know "better integrated into the programme" was an ISU GOE bullet. Could you point out where? And how ISU defines "better integrated" in the rulebook, with the necessary citations?

I want to be as objective as possible :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I didn't know "better integrated into the programme" was an ISU GOE bullet. Could you point out where? And how ISU defines "better integrated" in the rulebook, with the necessary citations?

I want to be as objective as possible :)

There are two bullet points for a jump dealing with that - one is related to the skaters skating pattern ("4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry"), and the other one is in relation to the music ("6) element matches the music")... Jump is integrated into the programme when it is an integral part of the skating pattern and the music, when there is no 'pause' for preparation/ disconnection from the whole programme for jump to happen...