Non Controversial Olympic Wins

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
2006 Plushenko.
2014 Hanyu.
2002 Yagudin.
1980 Robin Cousins.
1984 Torville and Dean.

I would agree with 3 out of 4. Hanyu's win was debated by many two falls versus the bobbles of Chan and remember he pc wise was not as strong as he is now. But everyone has their own opinion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Honestly that event was just so competitive and thrilling to watch that, even as someone rooting for S/H, I would've been impressed with whichever team managed to come out on top. Just an incredible pairs final.

I think because it was so close it can't really be uncontroversial with judges or humans scoring pcs and goes it doesn't take much to flip the decision.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
is there such a thing???

just a couple examples : Alina's win : she was definitely the strongest but do not forget the drama with zhenya and all the tears.. there are thousands of posts about this... i wouldn't say it was completely not controversial..

even gordeeva and grinkov's second win.... it was controversial in some ways as two russian pairs that were retired and skating pro came back as eligible skaters... ask isabelle brasseur how controversial ...they were world champions the year before and had hoped to win the olympic title, remained amateur until the new rules allowed pro skaters to come back....

those who are writing hanyu in sochi haven't read the other thread where people are saying that someone who falls twice in the LP shouldn't have won.

I am not sharing any of my own opinions about what is a clear win or not... but I am saying that there is almost ALWAYS some kind of controversy .. that's why Olympics are so much fun.

I appreciate your post because it is true. In fact, I hope people don't attack me for poiinting out that some decisions they think weren't controversial by some were and while I may not agree with it I can see their point.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't understand why you are always twisting what someone said and then trying to change the subject. Your whole tangent about "skaters can get more than double the PCS in the LP as the SP" is very strange. Like, DUH, they can get that much, the LP has 2x the PCS values. However, it's not true that a LP gives a skater more ability to do transitions. They should be judged on a percentage basis, ie - a skater is capable of doing a higher number of transitions in the LP since it's longer, but that doesn't mean the program has a higher percentage of transitions as a whole. The running time of the LP is actually not 2x long as the SP, although since it does have a higher percentage of jumps in comparison, it roughly evens out.

So, now that we're past that, Plushenko's SP showed better transitions than his LP. Therefore, the non-factored score given by the judges to him should have been higher in the SP than the LP. Instead the opposite happened, and it wasn't by a small amount from those individual judges either, it was a full point or more higher. It's pretty obvious which judges were doing it with the way judging almost always works out, but regardless there is also insider info. Also, that thing you were talking about with Plushenko's technical edge (because of 1 Quad) - it's not some kind of impossibility for someone to score higher technically without a quad. The quad, on paper, was not even that much of a bonus back then, especially in 2006. It was only 3.5 potential bonus in the SP, in comparison to doing 3Flip instead. Arguably judges could take it upon themselves to self-correct that perceived imbalance of the rules, but that's a grey area.

Someone's taste is inherent to their judging. That's how it works for the judging of anything artistic. The judge is determining if the program had good choreography or interpretation or performance quality. If they don't like those aspects the skater is showing, then the skater should be marked down. There is no way to judge "the degree of existence" of musical interpretation while separating it from the artistic integrity of the interpretation. If a judge thinks an arm movement a skater did was not good with the music, then that means the skater is not showing ideal musical interpretation to them. This is the whole point of having judges. Flailing about the ice and doing all kinds of random moves (aka, the sad direction modern skating has been going, aka Eteri skater programs) does not show a "degree of musical interpretation", it simply can not be measured like that. Now, while people have different taste, judges should have a high refinement of their taste. A valuable perspective. Unfortunately many of the sitting judges lack this.

Probably you know the Godfather program was adored by the audience. Well, if you don't know I tell you now. :laugh: That was Plushenko's Lp in 2005, too. That program had some other versions. I agree at the OG wasn't the best choreographyically. I already said probably that was Mishin's coaching tactic and Plush did that what Mishin told him! In his whole career Plushy did his second father's suggestions....:yes:

ECH 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIENLK-tfM look at the audience..and listen to the ESPN commentators

GPF 2005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FQ02vUVE for me the best version of GF and listen to the ESPN commentators again!

I have never seen such intensity in any other skating...Never! Ever!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think some would say alina's was controversial. The judges could have lowered her pcs a bit o raised Evgenia - and I mean a tiny bit and that is al lit would have taken. Some would argue Evgenia was far better pc wise.

I would also say Alina's win was controversial because of the nature of how she won - by backloading everything. This was totally fair and square, and within the rules and not controversial in that sense (other skaters were more than welcome to backload themselves) -- it's just controversial from a figure skating "best practices" standpoint of having a balanced program and "gaming" a system.

Of course an argument could be made about PCS too, but for me, it's interchangeable Medvedeva/Zagitova. Same country, same coach, different skaters, both went clean, so the "controversy" (other than from a fan standpoint) isn't particularly substantial.

Once we get into a whole, well her PCS should have been lowered this much, and hers should have been tweaked higher this much, and then she'd have the win is getting a bit pedantic, IMO. Zagitova still gave arguably the hardest Olympic program executed by a woman, and while the program was a bit meh, the win was deserved. Kinda reminds me of Lipinski vs. Kwan both going clean - Lipinski's programs weren't much compared to Kwan but she outskated Kwan technically all things considered (not to mention Kwan was a bit tentative in her FS as well, whereas Lipinski skated with abandon).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would agree with 3 out of 4. Hanyu's win was debated by many two falls versus the bobbles of Chan and remember he pc wise was not as strong as he is now. But everyone has their own opinion.

The actual RESULT itself was not controversial (in my opinion), given the better SP Hanyu had and the errors Chan made in the FS. But as mentioned, the nature of the win was controversial being so sloppy (arguably the sloppiest men's gold medal ever). Had Chan been placed ahead it would have been controversial for the same reason too.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Zagitova still gave arguably the hardest Olympic program executed by a woman, and while the program was a bit meh, the win was deserved. Kinda reminds me of Lipinski vs. Kwan both going clean - Lipinski's programs weren't much compared to Kwan but she outskated Kwan technically all things considered (not to mention Kwan was a bit tentative in her FS as well, whereas Lipinski skated with abandon).

I think Baiul's victory in 1994 was the last time the most technically ambitious ladies programs (free of falls) didn't end up winning. Controversial or not, you win OGMs on the first mark now, not the second.

rlopen

On the Ice
Gordeeva/Grinkov both times.

To me M/D were much better than G/G in ‘94 and were cleaner especially in the free skate. While it wasn’t controversial because G/G were so popular at the time and beloved, M/D were the better team in the competition and IJS probably would have reflected that point blank.

rlopen

On the Ice
I did find the backloading problematic as a viewer, but more important to me was the poor execution of the vastly over-cluttered choreography. As I said, she spent the entirety of both of her programs bent at the waist (and no tutu makes that attractive — and judges should be able to see beyond this kind of blatant smoke and mirrors), none of the movements were held or finished because she was too busy racing to the next one. It made the whole look clunky and paint-by-numbers. There was zero feel for the music or expression of it. The judges have been pretending she's some great artist ever since, which just continues to blow my mind. I hope that should she indeed come back as she has expressed is her plan, we see some evolution of her skating. She wasn't without talent and grit, and I'd love to see that potential realized.

The backloading to me was what made the program exciting. Every jump matched the frenetic second half of the program. What was not as enjoyable was the frenetic and rushed choreo of the first half. So yes I agree with you but I have never had a problem with the backloading it was always super exciting to see her crush those jumps as the music was speeding up (and almost every single jump hit an accent...maybe not during the Olympics but her Cup of China performance of it I remember was sublime.)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
To me M/D were much better than G/G in ‘94 and were cleaner especially in the free skate. While it wasn’t controversial because G/G were so popular at the time and beloved, M/D were the better team in the competition and IJS probably would have reflected that point blank.

M/D's SP from that event is one of my all favorites and I agree about IJS

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Which does beg the question what is meant by controversial... I mean, in all my reading, very few people expert or fan seem to have disputed that Yuzuru rightly placed higher than Patrick, especially given the short as well as the free; any controversy seems to be whether the Olympic rules that don't allow for a 'no winner' result was inadequate that year (I am hopelessly biased, so won't argue the point except to say there have been many and far worse OGMs in different sports, so don't hold your breath on the IOC changing).

And with Alina in 2018, the consensus that she outskated Evgenia may not be as broad but it's pretty much so in retrospect, the controversy seems to centre around whether that the blatant over the top backloading was good or bad in itself/led to an actual rule change.

So if 'controversial' means that there is no or little consensus as to the actual placement, both are only controversial on 'my opinion right or wrong' basis (not that there is anything wrong with 'my opinion right or wrong' in itself, but it's not controversy). Whereas to lambast the expired equine, Adelina and Yuna will never not be non-controversial as long as there are three people alive to watch the tapes.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Baiul's victory in 1994 was the last time the most technically ambitious ladies programs (free of falls) didn't end up winning. Controversial or not, you win OGMs on the first mark now, not the second.

True but Kim could have fallen once or twice in 2010 and still edged out Asada because she had the second mark in spades.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would also say Alina's win was controversial because of the nature of how she won - by backloading everything. This was totally fair and square, and within the rules and not controversial in that sense (other skaters were more than welcome to backload themselves) -- it's just controversial from a figure skating "best practices" standpoint of having a balanced program and "gaming" a system.

Of course an argument could be made about PCS too, but for me, it's interchangeable Medvedeva/Zagitova. Same country, same coach, different skaters, both went clean, so the "controversy" (other than from a fan standpoint) isn't particularly substantial.

Once we get into a whole, well her PCS should have been lowered this much, and hers should have been tweaked higher this much, and then she'd have the win is getting a bit pedantic, IMO. Zagitova still gave arguably the hardest Olympic program executed by a woman, and while the program was a bit meh, the win was deserved. Kinda reminds me of Lipinski vs. Kwan both going clean - Lipinski's programs weren't much compared to Kwan but she outskated Kwan technically all things considered (not to mention Kwan was a bit tentative in her FS as well, whereas Lipinski skated with abandon).

Fair assessment; I agree the hardest program but one could have slaughtered her for unbalanced program pc wise.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
True but Kim could have fallen once or twice in 2010 and still edged out Asada because she had the second mark in spades.

Well I think that might be a bit of an overstatment. She didn't have all the triples (no loop I believe). Mao was probably closer to Joannie rochette. But I m sure there will be some Mao fan or soeone who thinks it is controversial.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

I'm not so sure about that. M/D had inferior lifts to G/G and the stumble on the footwork in the LP could have been very costly. Their only technical advantage, aside from being a little more clean in those performances, was a better death spiral and the 3Toe in the LP. It's questionable if they even would have beaten G/G technically in the LP (in the SP yes), and combined with having lower PCS, that's not a good situation for them. I think result would have been the same.

Probably you know the Godfather program was adored by the audience. I agree at the OG wasn't the best choreographyically.

GPF 2005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FQ02vUVE for me the best version of Godfather

Yep, the 2004-2005 GPF was easily his best performance of the program...but the Olympics was his weakest performance of it. Nobody would deserve to beat him in 2006 if he skated his best (since Lambiel was essentially never capable of doing a whole competition without multiple mistakes), but we have to judge what's on the ice. Plushenko wasn't the same skater in 2006, coming back from injury and modifying the program to a worse version that he was never able to skate clean all season long. Plushenko has actually never skated a "clean" Olympic LP, there's always been a mistake.

Of course an argument could be made about PCS too, but for me, it's interchangeable Medvedeva/Zagitova. Same country, same coach

LOL, that doesn't matter! It has nothing to do with how PCS should be judged (and someone "going clean" or not doesn't mean they inherently deserve higher PCS than someone else either). Truly gobsmacking you admit these irrelevant factors change your own opinion of how to grade a skater.

Anyway, I think Medved's programs were perfumed, well-groomed trash. The SP was so pretentious with it's empty attempt to force something "deep", and the LP was musically jarring (the step sequence to that music is a big no) and failed to convey the epic, tragic quality it was trying to achieve. She did have slightly better overall posture and range of expression than Zagitova, but the desperation of someone who knows they are being overtaken was in the air. Zagitova's programs weren't amazing, and the LP being more imbalanced should be accounted for, but they were less offensive and had more exciting highlights, so I still give her the edge on PCS, and then with the technical side taken into consideration there's no question at all.

Osmond had a superficial, mechanical LP and despite having some better basic skating qualities, her footwork sequences have always been weaker. Just an underwhelming Olympic podium and a sad reflection of how poorly managed the sport is to be rewarding things like this so highly. Even besides the podium, none of the performances from that competition are things I go back and watch. The best programs on paper for me were Karen Chen's SP and Kaori Sakamoto's LP, but they both skated them better in other competitions (and Kaori never had quite enough refinement for it; Alena Kostornaia should do a program like this, it would be stunning).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure about that. M/D had inferior lifts to G/G and the stumble on the footwork in the LP could have been very costly. Their only technical advantage, aside from being a little more clean in those performances, was a better death spiral and the 3Toe in the LP. It's questionable if they even would have beaten G/G technically in the LP (in the SP yes), and combined with having lower PCS, that's not a good situation for them. I think result would have been the same.

Yep, the 2004-2005 GPF was easily his best performance of the program...but the Olympics was his weakest performance of it. Nobody would deserve to beat him in 2006 if he skated his best (since Lambiel was essentially never capable of doing a whole competition without multiple mistakes), but we have to judge what's on the ice. Plushenko wasn't the same skater in 2006, coming back from injury and modifying the program to a worse version that he was never able to skate clean all season long. Plushenko has actually never skated a "clean" Olympic LP, there's always been a mistake.

LOL, that doesn't matter! It has nothing to do with how PCS should be judged (and someone "going clean" or not doesn't mean they inherently deserve higher PCS than someone else either). Truly gobsmacking you admit these irrelevant factors change your own opinion of how to grade a skater.

Anyway, I think Medved's programs were perfumed, well-groomed trash. The SP was so pretentious with it's empty attempt to force something "deep", and the LP was musically jarring (the step sequence to that music is a big no) and failed to convey the epic, tragic quality it was trying to achieve. She did have slightly better overall posture and range of expression than Zagitova, but the desperation of someone who knows they are being overtaken was in the air. Zagitova's programs weren't amazing, and the LP being more imbalanced should be accounted for, but they were less offensive and had more exciting highlights, so I still give her the edge on PCS, and then with the technical side taken into consideration there's no question at all.

Osmond had a superficial, mechanical LP and despite having some better basic skating qualities, her footwork sequences have always been weaker. Just an underwhelming Olympic podium and a sad reflection of how poorly managed the sport is to be rewarding things like this so highly. Even besides the podium, none of the performances from that competition are things I go back and watch. The best programs on paper for me were Karen Chen's SP and Kaori Sakamoto's LP, but they both skated them better in other competitions (and Kaori never had quite enough refinement for it; Alena Kostornaia should do a program like this, it would be stunning).

Yet again, you're misconstruing the points I'm trying to make. Points for good performance, not so much for good interpretation.

I was saying that the controversy surrounding wins tends to be around which country won rather than the skater. Both skaters went clean, and were technically superior, and while their PCS was high, that's literally trying to find something to make their 1-2 placement controversial. I was saying that Medvedeva winning or Zagitova winning is interchangeable for me, and it's less controversial than if they were from different countries (or had different coaches). If Lysacek or Stojko or Sale/Pelletier or Kim were from Russia the controversy surrounding the 2010/1994/2002/2014 Olympic competitions would have been less controversial.

As for how I grade skaters, I do so independently of each other. And someone going clean doesn't earn them higher marks than other skaters but it does make a better impression than skaters who are "artistic" or have better programs (subjectively speaking) but make technical errors that mar their program. I probably would have given Medvedeva higher PCS scores than Zagitova, and both less GOE than the judges gave them, but I wouldn't crunch the numbers in such a way that the results ended up changing in a manner that was desirable for my own personal preference. Personally, I like both of them and was impressed by both of their Olympic performances. Sure, they weren't on the artistic level of someone like Kim, but I ain't wasting my time writing a whiny, longwinded letter to the ISU any time soon about how they both should have been scored differently. :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The actual RESULT itself was not controversial (in my opinion), given the better SP Hanyu had and the errors Chan made in the FS. But as mentioned, the nature of the win was controversial being so sloppy (arguably the sloppiest men's gold medal ever). Had Chan been placed ahead it would have been controversial for the same reason too.

I will go with the other comments its skating, its relies on human, and I can see your point but it is not impossible that Chan should have won in the eyes of some it wasn't all that clear at least in some people's minds. I guess really you could argue results were uncontroversial or controversial it depends on your view and definitions. What's done is done. INteresting. That's why skating is unique. Unlike running usually it is clear and even though there are refs in some sports they still are a little easier or less reliant on human judging and errors or opinions.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yet again, you're misconstruing the points I'm trying to make. Points for good performance, not so much for good interpretation.

I was saying that the controversy surrounding wins tends to be around which country won rather than the skater. Both skaters went clean, and were technically superior, and while their PCS was high, that's literally trying to find something to make their 1-2 placement controversial. I was saying that Medvedeva winning or Zagitova winning is interchangeable for me, and it's less controversial than if they were from different countries (or had different coaches). If Lysacek or Stojko or Sale/Pelletier or Kim were from Russia the controversy surrounding the 2010/1994/2002/2014 Olympic competitions would have been less controversial.

As for how I grade skaters, I do so independently of each other. And someone going clean doesn't earn them higher marks than other skaters but it does make a better impression than skaters who are "artistic" or have better programs (subjectively speaking) but make technical errors that mar their program. I probably would have given Medvedeva higher PCS scores than Zagitova, and both less GOE than the judges gave them, but I wouldn't crunch the numbers in such a way that the results ended up changing in a manner that was desirable for my own personal preference. Personally, I like both of them and was impressed by both of their Olympic performances. Sure, they weren't on the artistic level of someone like Kim, but I ain't wasting my time writing a whiny, longwinded letter to the ISU any time soon about how they both should have been scored differently. :laugh:

Not too many would agree but I can see a case even with her bobbles for Osmond winning OGM in 2018.

but it is what it is:)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I was saying that the controversy surrounding wins tends to be around which country won rather than the skater.

Maybe for the general public, but that has nothing to do with the skating itself, and you were talking about this in relation to PCS. You say it's "pedantic" to debate PCS and if someone deserves to win or not based on that. Well, if you don't care that's your thing, but assessing the programs is supposed to be an important aspect of deciding placement. Lipinski vs Kwan at 98 Olympics and Hughes vs Kwan in 02 (and even Cohen too) are a couple of the most enduringly debated topics for skating aficionados. Perhaps you just did not phrase yourself well in trying to express why Zag/Med's performances are interchangeable for you. Personally, I feel there's no good argument for putting Medvedeva over Zagitova, because at the end of the day her programs weren't good and she didn't have any extra special qualities, so she just got outjumped (and yet, she did win the LP according to the judges, so that could be described as...controversial).

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I guess I don't understand what the word "uncontroversial" means. Almost every one of the examples given on this thread were, and remain, steeped in controversy.

Yes. I am not sure why people tried to interpret this topic as "non-controversial for everyone". Impossible to say, and certainly biased with which sections of the fandom you've visited. So I left it as the medalists I just agreed with, which I felt is what the OP tried to say anyway.

Why is 2006 Ladies non-controversial? I've read comments that 1. Arakawa played it too safely 2. her programs weren't that great/were boring 3. Cohen deserved to win despite the falls due to PCS.

Plus, she did three double loops. And she was overscored after the SP. If Arakawa and Slutskaya weren't overscored after the SP, maybe Cohen would have entered the LP with more confidence.

There was a strange discussion here, IMO.

I also argue that Carolina Kostner should have been the rightful gold medallist in 2014
Yes, frontloading all your difficult jumps, and doing little in between till the last pass was knocked out and then moving on to the steps, choreography sequence, and spins, is obviously far and away a better and magical program construction than someone who approaches that in the opposite direction.
oppression
emotional abuse
Yes, a Russian and/or an Asian "skater" being scored too damn high is obviously oppression and emotional abuse to Brown and Savoie, who remain the only skaters who can tie their boots properly till date, but aren't in any way affected by the ones who've beaten them on presentation at Nationals. I hope this oppression is rectified soon, not everyone can afford to constantly take to twitter or set up an interview on talk shows. Maybe the oppression of Nathan Chen's vastly underscored performances and the abuse of Jason Brown winning silver at 4CCs despite doing a +5 GOE 2T and the best triple axels ever put forward by humankind against people who can barely skate can be mitigated by banning all other competition.

Maybe for the general public, but that has nothing to do with the skating itself, and you were talking about this in relation to PCS.
? No. He said that there might be an argument based off PCS for either of those two, but it barely matters for him, because he doesn't really care.