Does Anyone Miss Compulsory Figures And Want Them Back? | Golden Skate

Does Anyone Miss Compulsory Figures And Want Them Back?

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Although the compulsory figures have not been used in competition for many years, does anyone think they should still be used in training? I think it would help skaters use better edges, and develop stronger skating skills. I do not think they should be brought back to competition, however, as I always felt they were too subjective and political.

What are everyone else’s thoughts on this? Should the ISU re-implement compulsory figures? Why or why not?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I miss and want them to be brought back overall. It wouldn't hurt skaters to learn proper use of their edges.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have heard compulsory figures compared to scales of music. You don't watch an artist do them, but they do use them and often practice/use them.

So yeah, I think they should be brought back. There was something different back in the day and i think this could add some of it back.

I don't know if I think they should be part of senior competition. But I think a nationwide/worldwide ongoing figures comp (really with have the tech to record them and judge via video now... or at least a version) would be great. It would encourage fundamentals, but also let skaters who are not the best at other things still compete. It is just another option to be awesome at.

I don't think they should mathematically determine winners or loser. but they should be celebrated, taught, and enjoyed.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The ISU can't control what skaters and coaches do at training rinks. If they require something in competition, or make it optional and offer a lot of points, then skaters will need to learn how to do it as well as possible. Otherwise, it's up to coaches how they want to train their skaters to meet the competition requirements.

I don't think it would be feasible (financially, logistically, or in terms of audience and skater enjoyment) to add a competition requirement for skaters to trace circles as precisely as was needed when judges were watching close up at the marks the skaters made on clean ice.

However, they could add some kind of element that would fit into a freeskating program and that would require/reward well shaped turns and circles at a level of scrutiny that can be seen from the official's stand.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As long as every program is scored separately (which is always how it should have been), there are many different options for competitive possibilities. If figures were brought back, I would want to see them done as a full-rink kind of thing, a "figures program", where skaters must connect figures of their choice and are judged from a normal perspective, and where both speed and cleanliness are rewarded. Some people used to do their figures slow as hell, and that's not as commendable. Look at someone like Dagmar Lurz, who always placed well in figures, but usually lacked power with her edges in real skating programs, and actually had a flutz.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But I think a nationwide/worldwide ongoing figures comp (really with have the tech to record them and judge via video now... or at least a version) would be great. It would encourage fundamentals, but also let skaters who are not the best at other things still compete. It is just another option to be awesome at. ...

This type of competition (and community) already exists.

Last year I happened to meet a figures champion (in her teens) who loves to skate in general, but AFAIK she has been most successful competing in figures.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have heard compulsory figures compared to scales of music. You don't watch an artist do them, but they do use them and often practice/use them.

So yeah, I think they should be brought back. There was something different back in the day and i think this could add some of it back.

I don't know if I think they should be part of senior competition. But I think a nationwide/worldwide ongoing figures comp (really with have the tech to record them and judge via video now... or at least a version) would be great. It would encourage fundamentals, but also let skaters who are not the best at other things still compete. It is just another option to be awesome at.

I don't think they should mathematically determine winners or loser. but they should be celebrated, taught, and enjoyed.

What you proposed already exists.

ETA: I just noticed post above this addressed this.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think that it should be in junior and below.
Unfortunately, it's not interesting enough for non skating fans (and even many skating fans), so I feel it would hurt the sports rep to have it at senior competitions which are aired on the TV, but I feel it's important for people to learn the edge control so would introduce it into junior and novice.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
My answer to the original question is "No, I don't miss and I don't want".

brakes

On the Ice
I'm not ignorant: watched documentaries, highlights of past competitions, even read some pieces on figures.

And don't want them back. Not only are they boring, but they seem as total mismatch to the present highly athletic fs performances. It'd be like merging swimming with synchronized swimming into one sport.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'm not ignorant: watched documentaries, highlights of past competitions, even read some pieces on figures.

And don't want them back. Not only are they boring, but they seem as total mismatch to the present highly athletic fs performances. It'd be like merging swimming with synchronized swimming into one sport.

How are they a mismatch? There are up to 100 points to grab for PCS, which includes edge quality, edge control, quality of TR.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
No. I've watched some old videos and I can honestly say that I don't want it back. It was tedious, boring and time consuming.
Coaches however should train their students in figures, as it would improve their edges and lines.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't miss, don't want, and I'm sick of the romanticising of them, as though skaters never flutzed or underrotated in the figures era, and as though they didn't add a massive expense to training (special patch practice, special figures boots and blades, hours of additional coaching) and massive expense and time to running competitions for literally no return on investment (I doubt figures would get actual crowds, and we know the TV channels didn't like it).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't want them back in competitions (and I think the alternative 'World Figure and Fancy Championships' are a good way to keep the skills needed alive, perhaps even going so far as to turn them into a separate discipline. There's even an Olympic precedent dating from 1908) but I do think they are very useful in learning edges and things. Undoubtedly, that will still be used in training, if only with the younger skaters.

The thread title however triggered another question with me. In The Netherlands we also know a separate discipline called 'Schoonrijden' and which translates somewhat (there is no official translation) as 'beautiful skating'. It's all about forward skating in as beautiful a way as possible, either solo, as a pair or as a small group. There even exists a special skate which is neither a speed skate nor a figure skate.klassieke-schoonrijschaatsen-300x183.jpg. I was wondering whether the way these skaters skate - it requires a change of edge per skating stroke - could also be helpful to young Figure Skaters.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I wouldn't want them back in competitions (and I think the alternative 'World Figure and Fancy Championships' are a good way to keep the skills needed alive, perhaps even going so far as to turn them into a separate discipline. There's even an Olympic precedent dating from 1908) but I do think they are very useful in learning edges and things. Undoubtedly, that will still be used in training, if only with the younger skaters.

I agree with the above. I definitely don't want them back in competition. Super boring and it disadvantaged skaters who were not very good at the clinical following of lines, but absolute artists with perfect skills otherwise. Toller Cranston is the ultimate example.

noskates

Record Breaker
NO - not unless it was made a separate discipline and didn't have such an impact on the individual disciplines.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I always found them badly scored and boring to watch. Maybe with modern camera angles ( Such as being filmed from beneath the ice ) or over head close ups, which might make it more interesting, they really don't add much to the sport. I haven't seen most of today's skaters but, skaters like Todd, Patrick and Plushy could display solid edge training during their programs. A true delight for the senses.

pesto

On the Ice
Nah, what would happen, is the sports channels wouldn't show it, because it would be regarded as boring. So the fans would start their viewing with a part of the competition already completed, and an order established, which they had no chance to see.

That's if we ever get a mainstream broadcaster covering FS again.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If figures were reinstated, that would take a lot of time away from skaters training elements (like jumps, spins, etc.) which would probably result in a lower technical bar for the SP and LP.

It just goes to show you how insanely talented Midori Ito was, having technical content that would still be competitive in 2020 while also training figures enough to secure a world title when that accounted for 20% of the final result.