Does Anyone Miss Compulsory Figures And Want Them Back? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does Anyone Miss Compulsory Figures And Want Them Back?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't want figures back in competition as they were. May be they could be limited til novice level, and figures should never value much of the score. Everybody mentions Toller, but I am sure Denise Bielmann could have been Olympic champion and even multiple world champion without those figures.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
They never let us see them when they were a thing. It's hard to miss that which you've never had.

RobinA

On the Ice
I would like them back in some small way so that skaters would have to develop some decent edge control. Maybe not 20%, but enough to make it worthwhile for skaters to work on this aspect of their skating. Of course, there are other ways to refocus skating a bit away from jumps and toward quality skating, but I doubt those will happen either. I would like SOME judging system that would give a great Jason Brown performance and a great Nathan Chen performance equal footing. So to speak. I'm not holding my breath.

RobinA

On the Ice
You can miss it in the skating itself. Almost anybody who came through school figures had way better blade control than what you see now.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would like them back in some small way so that skaters would have to develop some decent edge control. Maybe not 20%, but enough to make it worthwhile for skaters to work on this aspect of their skating. Of course, there are other ways to refocus skating a bit away from jumps and toward quality skating, but I doubt those will happen either. I would like SOME judging system that would give a great Jason Brown performance and a great Nathan Chen performance equal footing. So to speak. I'm not holding my breath.

While I agree with most of what you wrote, I would not have compared Nathan with Jason here, because Nathan is a full package. There are many other skaters you could have compared to Jason here that are solely jumpers.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I didn’t know they existed, I took a look when someone mentioned them, and I don’t see any value in it at all, because it is already integrated in the performance that is by far more watcheable as a fan. Their former use in scoring behind the scenes only created less transparent scoring environment, something that is not great.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I didn’t know they existed, I took a look when someone mentioned them, and I don’t see any value in it at all, because it is already integrated in the performance that is by far more watcheable as a fan. Their former use in scoring behind the scenes only created less transparent scoring environment, something that is not great.

A very much improved "watchable" performance is one with proper edge quality. Everything should build off of basics.

There is a reason why Kurt Browing and Patrick Chan (and a few others) are always recalled upon. Edges and proper use of the blade, whether those citing it realise or not.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love seeing good edges (and in Ice Dance it's almost compulsury) and the controlled, proper use of the Blade. Do we need figures back as part of the competition? I don't think so...there exist other possibilities for that. Do we need figures as part of training of edges and the use of the blade? Definitely. I'm starting to repeat myself. Sorry.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I say that now! How long, do you think, before more people are saying it? :yes2:

We can dream, can't we:biggrin:

back in the day, I disliked compulsory figures because Toller. And Janet Lynn. And all we ever saw on TV was Trixi Schuba and a bunch of people in coats with papers in their hands.

But now I am soooooo bored by jumpfests, as though revolutions in the air were the highest, best and only point of figure skating. Yawn. :bed: So the guys leaning into the ice with the paper might be an improvement:)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
A very much improved "watchable" performance is one with proper edge quality. Everything should build off of basics.

There is a reason why Kurt Browing and Patrick Chan (and a few others) are always recalled upon. Edges and proper use of the blade, whether those citing it realise or not.

Yes, precisely, included in the performance, it contributes to the performance and is scored as a component. Having it as a separate third part of a competition doesn’t add anything. You might as well add jump passes, spiral length glide or spin length/Rmp as separate competition part.

Skating programs are a full package of elements. Separate parts are just LEGO pieces.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, precisely, included in the performance, it contributes to the performance and is scored as a component. Having it as a separate third part of a competition doesn’t add anything. You might as well add jump passes, spiral length glide or spin length/Rmp as separate competition part.

Skating programs are a full package of elements. Separate parts are just LEGO pieces.

Save the lecture, I'm not protesting for a separate part of the competition for figures. I'm asking they be taught though, and also edge quality be something that is more focused on and taught. I'm well educated on what it is to make a complete successful program that enhances good edge quality.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Unless skaters have to draw flowers on ice like Mao does sometimes and that she's the judge, no it isn't interesting.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Save the lecture, I'm not protesting for a separate part of the competition for figures. I'm asking they be taught though, and also edge quality be something that is more focused on and taught. I'm well educated on what it is to make a complete successful program that enhances good edge quality.

And I in no way had implied that they should not be taught in the post you quoted. I responded to the question posited by the thread OP. No, I am not interested in the Figures coming back as prequalifying, scoring impacting, third separate competition program. I hope we are good.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I in no way had implied that they should not be taught in the post you quoted. I responded to the question posited by the thread OP. I hope we are good.

:agree:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that it should be in junior and below.
Unfortunately, it's not interesting enough for non skating fans (and even many skating fans), so I feel it would hurt the sports rep to have it at senior competitions which are aired on the TV, but I feel it's important for people to learn the edge control so would introduce it into junior and novice.

They weren't, for the most part, shown on TV. They would do like a 5 minute recap if anything.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
At one time tracing figures is what figure skating was all about. Yes, they are important because they teach a skater, balance, flow, edge control and self-discipline. No, not every skater enjoyed doing figures, it was like practicing scales on a piano. However, if you want to be a good pianist, you must practice scales. Similarly figures can help a skater develop good deep edges. Should figures make a comeback in competition? I think with all the big changes to the judging system and the emphasis on quads it might be difficult to fit in. However taught as part of a skaters discipline and development, I think it's a good idea.

KittyKins

Rinkside
No, I definitely would not because in the past the best free skaters did not always win when this was a requirement. Scott Hamilton excelled at both but many talented free skaters like Brian Orser and Toller Cranston(?) did not.