2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Hi, I've decided to start a new thread focusing on Japanese men, pairs and ice dance teams!

Senior Men
Shoma Uno
Yuzuru Hanyu
Yuma Kagiyama (moving up to seniors)
Keiji Tanaka
Shun Sato (moving up to seniors likely)
Kazuki Tomono
Sota Yamamoto
Mitsuki Sumoto
Koshiro Shimada
Ryuju Hino
Yuto Kishina (did junior & senior nationals last year)
Taichiro Yamakuma

Junior Men
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Tatsuya Tsuboi
Nozomu Yoshioka
Sena Miyake
Kao Miura
Shingo Nishiyama

Pairs
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara

Ice Dance
Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto
Utana Yoshida / Shingo Nishiyama (moving up to seniors?)
Rikako Fukase / Oliver Zhang {Eichu Cho}
Yuka Edamura / Daiki Shimazaki

Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi (New!)
Kiria Hirayama / Aru Tateno (New!)

Questions
1. Will there be a new season?
2. How will Daisuke's debut in Ice Dance fare?
3. Quad Axel!?

Let me know if you'd like me to add anything else! :)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Thank you for starting the thread.

Since we already have a thread for 2020-21 Japanese ladies, maybe these threads could be merged - or better still, could this one be renamed to list only men, dance and pairs?

Questions
3. Quad Axel!?

1. - noone knows, I'll keep hoping things change by September. August is unrealistic
2. - do Kana/Daisuke need to go to Regionals to advance to nationals? ... I think they will compete if healthy, and they'll be third at Nats.
3.- I hope not. The skaters don't have much time to get back in form if there are competitions. Not worth the risk. Maybe next year.

How old is Sena btw? I thought he was aging out of juniors, and Tatsuya too... I'll go check their ages.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Questions
3. Quad Axel!?

Let me know if you'd like me to add anything else! :)

1) Yes, almost certainty there will be a new season - however it might be cut short to just Euro's/4CC's and Worlds. GP series seems unlikely.
2) I assume relatively well compared to most ice dance Debut's. I wish him luck.
3) No.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

2. - do Kana/Daisuke need to go to Regionals to advance to nationals? ... I think they will compete if healthy, and they'll be third at Nats.

There's no dance competition held at regionals (not enough couples?) To advance to nationals they will need to participate in Sectional first. And usually ice dance competition will be held at Western Sectionals (and pairs at Eastern Sectionals).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

Since we already have a thread for 2020-21 Japanese ladies, maybe these threads could be merged - or better still, could this one be renamed to list only men, dance and pairs?

1. - noone knows, I'll keep hoping things change by September. August is unrealistic
3.- I hope not. The skaters don't have much time to get back in form if there are competitions. Not worth the risk. Maybe next year.

How old is Sena btw? I thought he was aging out of juniors, and Tatsuya too... I'll go check their ages.

Sena is 18; it would be his final year of juniors if he doesn't move up.
Tatsuya is 17.

If I recall correctly Utana & Shingo competed at a sectionals before they went on to win Junior nationals. There were separate ice dance and eastern section categories (I'm not sure which skating club they are representing?)

I was thinking about adding (men, pairs and dance) but I just thought the title would be quite long. Could someone please amend it for me?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
If I recall correctly Utana & Shingo competed at a sectionals before they went on to win Junior nationals. There were separate ice dance and eastern section categories (I'm not sure which skating club they are representing?)
Last season at sectionals, Utana/Shingo was competing under western section, and that was going with Utana's skating club (Okayama) instead of Shingo's (who's from Tokyo). I wonder if they'll switch to eastern this season, as Shingo will be attending Waseda U, I believe?

For the ice dance couples so far, I think:
Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto -Western (but will be seeded couple)
Utana Yoshida / Shingo Nishiyama (moving up to seniors? - not sure if moving up seniors or not)
Rikako Fukase / Oliver Zhang {Eichu Cho} - Eastern (going with Rikako's (university) club)
Yuka Edamura / Daiki Shimazaki - Eastern
Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi - Western (with Kansai U)
Kiria Hirayama / Aru Tateno (New!) - I'm guessing Western also, IIRC Tateno used to train at Okayama.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
That's a good point! Maybe Utana & Shingo will switch to Eastern.
I think that Ayumi Takanami is also attending Waseda University. She's still on the search for an ice dance partner and she trains in Novi, Michigan.

I am wondering who will be the coaches for Kiria & Aru. I'm looking forward to how this partnership will turn out!

rabidline

Final Flight
This news is pretty relevant to this thread, so:
https://twitter.com/skatingjapan/status/1282586238646509568
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1282588664556433410

JSF has decided to cancel assigning skaters to the JGP and Challenger Series events in light of the coronavirus pandemic. It seems the cancellations apply to both skaters whose training base are in and out of Japan, so even the skaters who are already back at their international base will not be assigned to JGP or Challengers.

surimi

Record Breaker
bummer, that means no competitions for me till the situation gets better. I hope things improve by spring... -_- I wish the Japan Federation would stream regionals and sectionals worldwide in this case. No way are international fans buying some Fuji TV or whatever subscriptions just to see their favorites.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
bummer, that means no competitions for me till the situation gets better. I hope things improve by spring... -_- I wish the Japan Federation would stream regionals and sectionals worldwide in this case. No way are international fans buying some Fuji TV or whatever subscriptions just to see their favorites.

I would really like to see this as well! :thumbsup: If only they had the same vision as us.

Maybe we might see some of the national medallists at regionals? I can't imagine they would all be happy with nationals being their first competition (if the senior grand prix is cancelled).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Fuji will at least televise any that the big name skaters go to (which, if there is nothing else, they very well may) and fans will probably find a way to get it out to the world. Look at the ice shows in previous years and the Japanese fans who streamed or helped overseas ones to get access to as many as possible.

I think, if it turns out that all the Challengers/JGPs end up going and all we have is domestics, we will get more of the Japanese ones than most of the rest of the world... for which I will be grateful.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Does Shun and Yuma being at the senior training camp mean it is confirmed they’ll be moving up to senior?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I would think so. Juniors usually go to separate (behind closed doors?) test skates over the summer.

I'm especially looking forward to Shun's new SP to Pirates of the Caribbean!
It sounds like he is aiming for 2 quads in the SP and 4 quads in the FS.

Here is a nice picture of Misato, Tim, Utana and Shingo! :)

https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1284826075030261761

Are they still in Japan at the moment?

I think, if it turns out that all the Challengers/JGPs end up going and all we have is domestics, we will get more of the Japanese ones than most of the rest of the world... for which I will be grateful.

It sounds like JSF are actually considering adding more domestic competitions.

https://twitter.com/wakahfans/status/1285550374401662976

A few have already been cancelled, such as Gensan Summer Cup.

rabidline

Final Flight
Lots of fun updates for the Japanese skaters lately:

- Japan Open 2020 is being held this season- with a twist! Instead of 3 teams of Japan, Europe and North America, only Japanese skaters will compete, I used Google Translate to decipher their tweets but essentially the skaters will be split into two teams of Professional/Amateur/Junior skaters facing against each other. TV Tokyo's tweets also said that they hope to give an opportunity for the skaters to show the programs and for fans to watch them after many ice shows have been cancelled this summer.

JO will be held on October 3, at Japan's Saitama Super Arena, its usual venue, with audience under health protocols.

The participating skaters so far are:

Seniors:
Wakaba Higuchi
Tomoe Kawabata
Yuhana Yokoi
Marin Honda
Sota Yamamoto
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Ryuju Hino

Juniors:
Hana Yoshida
Chisato Uramatsu

Pro:
Hiroaki Sato

Source:
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1301810282000392192
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2020/

- Aside from that, Fuji TV On Demand (FOD) confirms they will broadcast Japanese Regionals, Sectionals, Novice Nationals and Junior Nationals live. None of these competitions will allow audiences.

https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1301808205274644480
https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/news/news200904_01.html

surimi

Record Breaker
Oh, I am hoping this format works! No doubt the organizers are going to be watching Russian test skates like hawks to see if allowing audience is doable or not.
I wonder what K ladies and boys (Kihira, Kagiyama, Kaori, Kazuki and Keiji) will be up to in the meantime? Satoko will probably stay in Canada to prepare for GP. Yuzuru not participating in an event that allows audience, is not a surprise at all, because I can so imagine the war for tickets and fans hanging out around the venue if he did :biggrin: