A question regarding names of Russian figure skaters | Golden Skate

A question regarding names of Russian figure skaters

CodyRhodesDiva

Spectator
What are some of the most common first names of Russian figure skaters' fathers? By looking at each figure skater's patronymic, I noticed plenty of dads named Aleksandr, Aleksei, Andrei, Dmitri, Gennady, Ivan, Igor, Mikhail, Nikolai, Oleg, Pavel, Sergei, Vladimir, Viktor, Valeri, Yevgeny and Yuri but I also noticed other common names such as Anton, Arkady, Anatoly, Atryom, Boris, Denis, Eduard, Filipp, Fedor, Gleb, Grigory, Georgi, German, Ilya, Konstantin, Kirill, Lev, Leonid, Maksim, Marat, Nikita, Petr, Roman, Ruslan, Stepan, Stanislav, Semyon, Vitaly, Vadim, Vsevolod, Valentin, Vyacheslav, Vladislav, Yakov and Yaroslav. Thoughts?

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I actually have a question about the feminine names. As I understand it, you add an A to the end, right? So Trusova’s dad is Trusov. Shcherbakova’s dad is Shcherbakov. But what about Kostornaia? What’s her dad’s name? What’s the standard if the name ends with a vowel? Is her dad Kostorna? Kostornai?

....opener should change the name of the thread.
You’re asking about Russian names, not skaters.

..... I’m gonna name my first son Mikhail but it’s going to be pronounced like Michael.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I actually have a question about the feminine names. As I understand it, you add an A to the end, right? So Trusova’s dad is Trusov. Shcherbakova’s dad is Shcherbakov. But what about Kostornaia? What’s her dad’s name? What’s the standard if the name ends with a vowel? Is her dad Kostorna? Kostorna?

It doesn't end with a vowel.:)

ruga

Final Flight
I actually have a question about the feminine names. As I understand it, you add an A to the end, right? So Trusova’s dad is Trusov. Shcherbakova’s dad is Shcherbakov. But what about Kostornaia? What’s her dad’s name? What’s the standard if the name ends with a vowel? Is her dad Kostorna? Kostorna?

....opener should change the name of the thread.
You’re asking about Russian names, not skaters.

..... I’m gonna name my first son Mikhail but it’s going to be pronounced like Michael.
As I understand, the male names ending in -y have female versions ending in -aya (-aia). So Kostornaia's father is probably Kostorny, Lipnitskaya's is Lipnitsky and so on.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
For Berezhnaya - Berezhnoy, for Pogorilaya - Pogorilyy(?) .
Doing it right is not easy.

dlco

Rinkside
For Berezhnaya - Berezhnoy, for Pogorilaya - Pogorilyy(?) .
Doing it right is not easy.
It depends of what syllable is stressed.
Kostornáia - Kostornói
Berezhnáya - Berezhnóy
but
Butýrskaya - Butýrskiy
Pogorílaya - Pogorílyy

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Kolyada’s name already ends with an A. Kolyadaya? Oh dear.

What’s his wife’s last name?

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Kostornaia's father is Kostornoi.

This is not unique. Depends on the accent .
Kostornaia - Kostornoy
Kostornaia - Kostorny
Both options are applicable depending on which is used in official documents and applied in this family.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice

I am not Russian, but I believe that's one of the exceptions, where there is no change. His wife's name would be again Kolyada. Is that right, Alex?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Everybody still pronounces his name wrong. His name In Russian is Коляда - the "я" is often spelt as a y in English, but it makes more of an "ee" sound - so you would say his name Kolida - Kol-eee-da. Of course Wikipedia has it different to this, but this is my understanding of the Russian language.

His wifes name is Дарья Дмитриевна Беклемищева - She has not changed her name since Marrying Mikhail.
If somebody who is RUssian could point out Daria's married name, then I would love to know as I'm trying to get to grips with Russian.
I do believe it would remain the same if she took his last name, which hasn't been updated anywhere I've seen.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Everybody still pronounces his name wrong. His name In Russian is Коляда - the "я" is often spelt as a y in English, but it makes more of an "ee" sound - so you would say his name Kolida - Kol-eee-da. Of course Wikipedia has it different to this, but this is my understanding of the Russian language.

His wifes name is Дарья Дмитриевна Беклемищева - She has not changed her name since Marrying Mikhail.
If somebody who is RUssian could point out Daria's married name, then I would love to know as I'm trying to get to grips with Russian.
I do believe it would remain the same if she took his last name, which hasn't been updated anywhere I've seen.

Such surnames that correspond to some nouns are inclined in the Russian language in the same way as their original source or they remain completely unchanged (less often). For men and women it sounds and is spelled the same way

dlco

Rinkside
This is not unique. Depends on the accent .
Kostornaia - Kostornoy
Kostornaia - Kostorny
Both options are applicable depending on which is used in official documents and applied in this family.
Since Alyona is Kostornaia her father is Kostornoy like I said.

macy

Record Breaker
can we turn this into a name pronunciation thread for all nationalities? i think it would be really helpful to have on hand, especially to someone like me who doesn't know a lick of another language.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
On a separate but related note, I would love to know why Google Translate always translates the Russian for 'toeloop' into 'sheepskin coat'! Also 'skating' sometimes becomes 'riding'... and 'test skate' becomes 'rental' (I think).

I'm fluent in an Asian language and learning another, so sometimes when I encounter hilarious Google-translated English (on the back of imported food packets etc.) I can tell the root of the slip-up because I know the original words and can see how the programme trained itself on the wrong pattern...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
On a separate but related note, I would love to know why Google Translate always translates the Russian for 'toeloop' into 'sheepskin coat'! Also 'skating' sometimes becomes 'riding'... and 'test skate' becomes 'rental' (I think).

I'm fluent in an Asian language and learning another, so sometimes when I encounter hilarious Google-translated English (on the back of imported food packets etc.) I can tell the root of the slip-up because I know the original words and can see how the programme trained itself on the wrong pattern...

Because jump names were directly translated into russian, and I think the name for toeloop referred to a sheepskin coat (not sheepskin coats in general, but a type of sheepskin coat).

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand