Jason Brown remains optimistic facing uncertain skating season | Golden Skate

Jason Brown remains optimistic facing uncertain skating season

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason’s travails to return to Canada are instructive for the season, I think ( so glad he made it:) ) If we have a season, it will be shortened, so getting a “start” on training isn’t really going to help.

And he’s practicing two different Rohene SPs :eek:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Jason that he is back in Canada, where he will take the unpredictability of the future in stride. :bow:

... Gotta love the title - when is Brown not "optimistic"? :laugh:

In 2018, Jason had spoken to Hersh about the six weeks of a "funk" (Jason's own word) after missing out on the Olympic team.
A funk to the point that to get himself out of bed every day, Jason had to call his dad or someone else -- according to what Jason told Hersh.

I do not think that Hersh or any of Jason's many fans would have forgotten that prolonged (and understandable) funk. It showed that Jason is human :ghug:, even if his default mode is optimism.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How can you not love Jason. His optimism is contagious and I wish him the very best.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would like to point out the truly shocking thing about that article:

Hersh didn't ask Jason about the quad.

Is this the first time ever? Is Hersh feeling okay?!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I noticed that too. Hersh must be suffering from Pandemic Fever!;)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

It might indeed be a first. But Jason brought it up. We don't know if Hersh published the entire interview either. But the only mention of quad in this article comes from Jason.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
I think Jason should really forget about the quad at this point. He's 25 and still hasn't mastered one. He can score around 96 in the short and 185 in the free program without one.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jason should really forget about the quad at this point. He's 25 and still hasn't mastered one. He can score around 96 in the short and 185 in the free program without one.

The exit door is on the left, bye.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Adam rippon landed a quad at that age, and may have got consistent without the injury.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite part of the interview: Cooking for six people instead of one, you're in a sink or swim situation! It just sounds like Jason, to decide to take that on. And his mom has "never liked" cooking!

Jason is something special on so many levels.:love:

In 2018, Jason had spoken to Hersh about the six weeks of a "funk" (Jason's own word) after missing out on the Olympic team.
A funk to the point that to get himself out of bed every day, Jason had to call his dad or someone else -- according to what Jason told Hersh.

And that sort of low would be natural and understandable for anyone with Jason's normal optimism. I'm just glad he was able to ask for help, and receive it, from his dad and others. :ghug:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

... Gotta love the title - when is Brown not "optimistic"? :laugh:

I do not think that Hersh or any of Jason's many fans would have forgotten that prolonged (and understandable) funk. It showed that Jason is human :ghug:, even if his default mode is optimism.

... And that sort of low would be natural and understandable for anyone with Jason's normal optimism. ...

Yes, of course, it was understandable -- as I already had said above.

You inexplicably chose not to quote the part of my post where I said that it was understandable.
Although you did quote the earlier part of my post.

Jason himself certainly did not take his emotional health for granted -- he cited mindfulness of his emotional health as his (*understandable,* repeat: *understandable*) reason for declining 2018 Worlds.
I have no reason to expect another prolonged funk from Jason, and hopefully, an unanticipated reason never will arise that would cause another prolonged funk in future.
And it's great that he is optimistic during the uncertainty of the pandemic, as he usually is.
But as a fan of Jason, I don't think I would be doing him a favor to take his emotional health for granted at any time. Ditto for any other skater.
YMMV.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, of course, it was understandable -- as I already had said above.

You inexplicably chose not to quote the part of my post when I said that it was understandable.
Although you did quote the earlier part of my post.

Jason himself certainly did not take his emotional health for granted -- he cited mindfulness of his emotional health as his (*understandable* -- repeat, *understandable*) reason for declining 2018 Worlds.
It's great that he is optimistic during the uncertainty of the pandemic, but as a fan of Jason, I don't think I would be doing him a favor to take his emotional health for granted at any time.
YMMV.

My apologies. I didn't mean to contradict you at all, in fact my intention was to affirm your words. I shouldn't have used the word "understandable" that you'd already used; that caused confusion.

I was speaking from my own experience; I can relate, and I feel (and felt at the time) great empathy and sorrow that Jason went through that difficult experience. It also speaks so well for Jason that he was able to talk about how difficult it was for him, it was brave and probably helped many others, skaters and non-skaters. I think it's also understandable that some of Jason's fans may have forgotten about that incident, because he's nearly always so upbeat. (Also because some people have a sort of natural amnesia about the bad or low moments; but they'll remember the good moments.) That was the point I tried to make -- that it's not unusual for people with such upbeat personalities to also experience corresponding emotional lows.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Gone and glad

I'm happy for Jason that he is back in Canada, where he will take the unpredictability of the future in stride. :bow:

I choose to not think about this lapse for Jason, including the accident last year and its effects. He has more than "bounced back" or overcome these events in his life. This year - golden! (Well actually, silver if you want to note the medals)

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
In reply to MarkinBerkeley.
He could have beaten Hanyu at 4CC with one. I think he is very close and if any coaching team can get him there (landing a clean quad), his current team can.
How "old" was Marai Nagasu when she landed and beautiful triple axle at the last Olympics? It can happen.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I choose to not think about this lapse for Jason, including the accident last year and its effects. He has more than "bounced back" or overcome these events in his life. This year - golden! (Well actually, silver if you want to note the medals)

Jumping off from your post, I think that most Jason fans are more than aware of how Jason struggled, and doubted himself, and faced his demons, particularly his last year with Kori. We knew something was happening at the time, we just didn't know what. In one way, his "failure" in the Olympic year is our gain, because he returned to skate:hap10:

My observation would be that those who don't follow Jason as closely as his Fan Fest devotees (and I am not saying that anyone should :) ) may be the ones who don't quite understand how serious and dedicated Jason is to his craft. They mistake optimism for lack of seriousness.

Jason is a perfect example of optimism and seriousness combined.:thumbsup:

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
In reply to MarkinBerkeley.
He could have beaten Hanyu at 4CC with one. I think he is very close and if any coaching team can get him there (landing a clean quad), his current team can.
How "old" was Marai Nagasu when she landed and beautiful triple axle at the last Olympics? It can happen.

I hope he can get one.