Ashley Wagner (USA)
3:33:19
Mae Berenice Meite (FRA)
3:39:56
Adelina Sotnikova (RUS)
3:47:14 Mao Asada (JPN)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Carolina's Ave Maria was perhaps the best program or one of the best programs Lori Nichol has ever done. Nothing is out of place in that program, yet only level 3 that steps sequence (it was called level 4 all season at every other event and it is level 4)

I wished she won the short with that, even though the free was probably not enough to win overall cause she didn't have a 3-3 but that short in particular was something special even in comparison with the other performances.

Polina Edmunds's SP choreographed by Marina Klimova also was lovely and perhaps underappreciated, i prefer this style for her over the Disney-like image she had in the more recent programs. Zijun Li's Tango also was very nice.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina's Ave Maria was perhaps the best program or one of the best programs Lori Nichol has ever done. Nothing is out of place in that program, yet only level 3 that steps sequence (it was called level 4 all season at every other event and it is level 4)

I wished she won the short with that, even though the free was probably not enough to win overall cause she didn't have a 3-3 but that short in particular was something special even in comparison with the other performances.

Polina Edmunds's SP choreographed by Marina Klimova also was lovely and perhaps underappreciated, i prefer this style for her over the Disney-like image she had in the more recent programs. Zijun Li's Tango also was very nice.

I thought the same thing about Carolina's SP. I also liked this skate for Polina - it fits her sassy side so well.

Triple loop

Rinkside
Watching Mao’s performance in the short made me teary eyed again. Not an enviable position to be the last skater. Very heartbreaking to see her reaction at the end. Nocturne is otherwise a beautiful program. If you get a chance, check it out during the 2014 Worlds.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought the same thing about Carolina's SP. I also liked this skate for Polina - it fits her sassy side so well.

I was just saying in another thread that I thought Carolina should have won the gold in Sochi, lol. Her SP to Ave Maria was the best skate of the entire ladies event, in my opinion. It was sheer magic.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Ave Maria was just beyond :agree:Loved it at Worlds in Japan as well.

And to be fair, And this is based on the judges scores, None of Asada, Kostner or Kim
were ever winning this event, Wether Kostner had a 3\3 in the Free or not,
She had a clean competition with maximum content and was 8 points away

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Olympics Channel must be really bored and looking to stir up some drama by posting the Sochi ladies events.

Watching Mao’s performance in the short made me teary eyed again. Not an enviable position to be the last skater. Very heartbreaking to see her reaction at the end. Nocturne is otherwise a beautiful program. If you get a chance, check it out during the 2014 Worlds.

It's a real shame because Asada's 2014 packaging was spectacular. Her costumes, music selection, and choreography were incredible and cohesive. She had the best 2 programs (IMO) of the ladies. There is a stark difference with her 2010 packaging, which was weak. She brought her A+ game but tragically fell short in the SP.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was just saying in another thread that I thought Carolina should have won the gold in Sochi, lol.

Maybe so. However, I don't think the fans scrutinized every element she performed like they did for Adelina and Yuna. I suspect that a few of Caro's late program triples in the long would have been called short of rotation by a stricter technical panel, but I think her programs in both the SP and LP were the most entertaining of the event (although Mao's LP was also right up there).

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I actually rescored the Sochi Olympics on my own (don’t come for me, this was just for fun!)

GOLD: Yuna Kim 74.13 + 144.79 = 218.92
SILVER: Carolina Kostner 73.53 + 145.35 = 218.88
BRONZE: Adelina SOTNIKOVA 71.23 + 135.13 = 206.36
4th: Gracie Gold 68.44 + 137.91 = 206.35
5th: Mao Asada 56.20 + 148.36 = 204.56
6th: YULIA LIPNITSKAYA 64.68 + 133.74 = 198.42
7th: Ashley Wagner 68.04 + 128.09 = 197.13

I tried to do this without any bias, some of the scores may seem a bit high, but that’s why I’m not a judge in real life. :laugh:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I actually rescored the Sochi Olympics on my own (don’t come for me, this was just for fun!)

GOLD: Yuna Kim 74.13 + 144.79 = 218.92
SILVER: Carolina Kostner 73.53 + 145.35 = 218.88
5th: Mao Asada 56.20 + 148.36 = 204.56
6th: YULIA LIPNITSKAYA 64.68 + 133.74 = 198.42
7th: Ashley Wagner 68.04 + 128.09 = 197.13

I tried to do this without any bias, some of the scores may seem a bit high, but that’s why I’m not a judge in real life. :laugh:

Nice! :clap: What were the TES and PCS like?

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nice! :clap: What were the TES and PCS like?

In the SP, I had Yuna with the highest TES, Caro with the highest PCS. I had Yuna 2nd in PCS and Carlo 2nd in TES. Adelina was 3rd in TES, and Mao was 3rd in PCS. Gracie was 4th in TES, and Ashley was 4th in PCS. Ashley was 5th in TES, and Adelina was 5th in PCS. Yulia was 6th in TES and PCS. Mao was 7th in TES, and Gracie was 7th in PCS. The PCS marks were all pretty close, which is why the placements in the short were still relatively competitive (1st YUNA, 2nd Caro, 3rd Adelina, 4th Gracie, 5th Ash, 6th YULIA, 7th Mao).

In the FS, I can’t recall who won PCS, but it was between Mao, Caro, and YUNA (and it was close!). Mao won TES, YUNA was 2nd in TES, Caro was 3rd in TES. Adelina was 4th in TES, and Ash was 4th in PCS. Gracie was 5th in TES, and YULIA was 5th in PCS. Yulia was 6th in TES, and Adelina was 6th in PCS. Ashley was 7th in TES, and Gracie was 7th in PCS. Again, to clarify, just because someone was placed lower in PCS doesn’t mean they were bad (4th - 7th in PCS didn’t go above 70 for anyone). I lost some of the specific TES and PCS of the skaters as I forgot to save them before moving onto the next skater.

This was a lot of fun! Next I may judge either 2010 or 2018. Here is the website I used:

https://skatingscores.com/blank/

Reddi

Rinkside
And to be fair, And this is based on the judges scores, None of Asada, Kostner or Kim
were ever winning this event, Wether Kostner had a 3\3 in the Free or not,
She had a clean competition with maximum content and was 8 points away
To be fair, Kostner and Yuna had the lowest BV out of top 6 in the Free and Mao bombed her Short. It's a sport, not a popularity contest. You kinda have to actually do stuff here.
Wheres, she had 3-3 or not. She hadn't, end of the story.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I
That 0,01 gap keeping USA out of podium would have put fire on ice. The outcry wouldn't have been of the level of Yuna-Adelina but almost.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
That 0,01 gap keeping USA out of podium would have put fire on ice. The outcry wouldn't have been of the level of Yuna-Adelina but almost.

I would say it would have been more, since a lot of the American fans would have focused on that part instead.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States

This is why I’m not a real judge, I’d start an anti-Russia outcry within my own country :scratch2: :laugh2:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
To be fair, Kostner and Yuna had the lowest BV out of top 6 in the Free and Mao bombed her Short. It's a sport, not a popularity contest. You kinda have to actually do stuff here.

Everything isn't decided by BV, and Sotnikova's SP+LP base value wasn't higher anyway, had the footwork sequences been called properly and her 3Lutz-3Toe problems been called properly.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I don't see why people come down to discussing base value or balance or whatever else, as if it's ever been right. But really, if you do... Notice how Kim's 3Lz+3T is under rewarded compared to a 3T+3T. Or how among the top four in the LP, she's the only one who spread out her jumps through the program instead of "being done and then selling it" - which was really only understandable with Asada's content. Kostner's Bolero was so much worse when she stopped doing that 3S at the end. There was barely a theme in that Olympics LP except "I want to skate clean". Kim's program would have deserved more base value and PCS if the fandom's inconsistent rhetoric were actually applied to her.

It's a real shame because Asada's 2014 packaging was spectacular. Her costumes, music selection, and choreography were incredible and cohesive. She had the best 2 programs (IMO) of the ladies. There is a stark difference with her 2010 packaging, which was weak. She brought her A+ game but tragically fell short in the SP.

I disagree about the LP, but the SP was one of the very few programs in the sport I'd say is actually artistic.