Favorite Morricone programs | Golden Skate

Favorite Morricone programs

Yossalu

On the Ice
The great Italian composer Ennio Morricone died today at the age of 91. He's responsible for some of the most iconic film scores of our time, including The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Days of Heaven, and The Hateful Eight. Skating fans know his music well: countless programs have been skated to music from The Mission, Cinema Paradiso, The Untouchables, La Califfa (Lady Caliph), and many other films.

What's your favorite Morricone program? I'll start with Matthew Savoie's 2005/2006 free skate to Gabriel's Oboe, Asuncion, and The Falls from The Mission (there's also a bit from Once Upon a Time in America and the program started with Journey of Man
by Benoit Jutras).

https://youtu.be/naDdt4vKtUI

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Rest in peace, Mr. Morricone. And thank you. What would figure skating be like without the wonderful music from geniuses like you?

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Carolina Kostner
Gabriel's Oboe SP 2005-2006

Mai Mihara
The Mission FP 2017-18 and 2018-19

Kazuki Tomono
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso SP 2018-2019

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Carolina Kostner
Gabriel's Oboe SP 2005-2006

Great minds think alike. I included a video of Carolina doing this routine at 2006 Europeans in my tribute post over in the music thread. ;) :biggrin:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55062&p=2614608&viewfull=1#post2614608

The other programme I was thinking of using was Miki Ando's 2010-11 SP to the same music.

Miki Ando - 2011 Four Continents SP

I should add that I chose 4 Continents rather than Worlds because this was where she achieved her Season's Best score for the SP. Yes, she went on to become World Champion, but she was actually 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the SP at Worlds. At 4 Continents, she won the SP. :agree:

It was a mid-season programme change, and boys but it paid off! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I didn't know some of these great pieces were Morricone's! Happy to have learned.

The Mission - Mai Mihara
Once Upon a Time in the West - Brezina (I'd love for Mariah or Bradie to skate to it!)
New Cinema Paradiso - Sota Yamamoto
Lady Caliph - Pang/Tong

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I love Ennio Morricone, and I am sad he passed away. Rest In Peace dear Ennio! Do you know whether any skater has done a program on Chi Mai?

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Katarina Witt: "I am what I am" from La Cage aux folles

Ashley Wagner: Once Upon a Time in America

Paul Wylie: The Untouchables, The Mission (need video).

Gracie Gold: Morricone Mix LP

Akiko Suzuki: Kill Bill/Once Upon a Time in the West (Kill Bill features a few of Morricones songs as well as OUTiTW being Morricone as well).

Ryan Bradley: LP The Untouchables (don't have video...yet).

CINEMA PARADISO:

Denis Ten, Bradie Tennell, Cappellini/Lanotte, Adam Rippon, Mao Asada

Oh yeah - The Untouchables, KIll Bill. Love them. Also love Kiira Korpi's America. Love the Katarina number to I am what I am and especially her interpretation, but what is the connection to Morricone?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I love Carolina's program, and a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Adian Pitkeev skating to The Mission. What a beautiful skater, beautiful piece.

Ilia Skirda skating to Once Upon a Time in America, in his first and only season internationally. What a charisma, a natural performer with that je ne sais quois that just lit up the arena. Even with his weird and inconsistent jump technique, the piece of music back in Team Tutberidze's miming era made him the last man to make the JGPF without a triple axel or a quad. And there was a nice story about Daniil Gleikhengauz making it because he watched it with his late father too.

RIP Ennio Morricone, one of the greats

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I love Ennio Morricone, and I am sad he passed away. Rest In Peace dear Ennio! Do you know whether any skater has done a program on Chi Mai?

Shishkova & Naumov have done an exhibition to Chi Mai in 1995. I can't find the video.