No International Events in China Except Beijing Test Events | Golden Skate

No International Events in China Except Beijing Test Events

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know there are much bigger problems in the world, but I am really sad for these athletes who have trained so hard and sacrificed their childhoods to pursue a dream that they won't even have a chance to catch. Anna and Alena have already missed possibly their best shot at a world title, and now it's possible they could miss a second. Even if one of them wins the Olympics, their career would probably end up looking more like Hughes' than Yuna's or Kristi's.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
So it is up to the ISU and the other federations as to what happens next. You can't have a GPF with only one GP event. You also can't presumably have a mix of "virtual" GP events and one that is in person. Either we're delaying an inevitable cancellation of the GP series, or some creative solution would be in the works to have a full GP.

I'd say cancel the GP, let everyone properly prepare, and hope the best for the second half of the season, but I'm not in charge.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
From what I've gathered, the ISU will have another meeting on August 3rd and that's when we will more have info.

Cup of China (though not itself a test event) is linked to the Grand Prix Final, which IS. That's the reasoning behind it apparently. *shrugs*

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can we perhaps keep the conversation to figure skating and not sink to scoring points off each other over how many citizens of any given country have died due to this virus to date? I can't help feeling the dead deserve more respect than that.

I'm not sure what options for international travel will be available by the time Cup of China's dates roll around, or the GPF, so if either event does go ahead, or both do, many skaters assigned to them may not be able to attend for reasons entirely beyond their control.