ISU Announces 2021 Worlds entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU Announces 2021 Worlds entries

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
doubt it, but possible.

As for response to the OP, as worlds 2021 is used as a qualification for the 2022 Olympics, I feel this is very unfair on countries which only have 1 spot, and had no chance to earn more due to the 2020 worlds cancellation (e.g Canada, who has 3 skaters of what I'd consider "Olympic Standard."

Agreed, the USA ladies could’ve potentially earned 3 spots as well.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I do agree with BoP that using an individual's success is a better way to issue international assignments. For example, Yuna Kim winning a World title didn't demonstrate that South Korea had any depth beyond the top skater, and thus it really had nothing to do with how deserving the 2nd or 3rd ranked South Korean women were of being awarded World/Olympic spots.

Yep, that's one of the many examples of how silly the current qualification system is.

Another would be if a country places 7th, 8th, and 9th at Worlds in a discipline. They would only receive 2 spots, despite clearly showing 3 strong competitors.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Just the fact that Japan had to send less ladies than Canada and the same number of ladies than Kazhakstan and Italy to the last olympics, shows that this system doesn't reward competitiveness (at least during the olympic season).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I see your point though Canada did have the no. 2 and no. 3 ladies at the time they just don't have the depth of Japan USA or Russia. Now they have nothing. But I am not sure what is "fair". Ironically they have 3 or at least two men are top ten contenders maybe even top 5 yet can only send 1. IN the Grand Prix both Nam and Keegan were top ten is my recollection. I think one was first or second alternate to the Final.

corinthia

Rinkside
Another would be if a country places 7th, 8th, and 9th at Worlds in a discipline. They would only receive 2 spots, despite clearly showing 3 strong competitors.

Something almost like that happened in real life ... the year that US Men’s places at World’s were 6th, 8th, and 10th.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Something almost like that happened in real life ... the year that US Men’s places at World’s were 6th, 8th, and 10th.

Boston 2016. Adam was 6th, Max was 8th, and Grant was 10th, all three having skated superb free skates.

Meanwhile, Hanyu and Uno were horribly sloppy in their frees and still managed to get three spots back for Japan, and a couple of overdefensive Japanese fans claimed the US men didn't deserve three spots anyway because they were lacking in depth :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Well, despite the dumb qualification system, the judging of Patrick Chan was to blame for that (as usual). He should not have placed ahead of Adam Rippon with yet another of his "fall/stumble/pop on 4 jumps and skate without personality" performances.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Boston 2016. Adam was 6th, Max was 8th, and Grant was 10th, all three having skated superb free skates.

Meanwhile, Hanyu and Uno were horribly sloppy in their frees and still managed to get three spots back for Japan, and a couple of overdefensive Japanese fans claimed the US men didn't deserve three spots anyway because they were lacking in depth :laugh:

Well, it isn't their fault that there is two programs and that they were way better than the Americans in the short, thus finishing in comfortable places.
We can say that USA had more depth because of worlds results but we can also see that Japan had 3 men at GPF while USA had 0 that same season.

Anyway, given the results of the skater who got that 3rd spot the next two seasons i would have been ok with another country getting the spot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, despite the dumb qualification system, the judging of Patrick Chan was to blame for that (as usual). He should not have placed ahead of Adam Rippon with yet another of his "fall/stumble/pop on 4 jumps and skate without personality" performances.

I was more inclined to blame the scoring of Uno - he shouldn't have been above Max at all. Mainly I remember that Chan was the only one to complain about the ice...

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Uno absolutely deserved to place above Max, he skated very well (just 1 fall on a Quad that came later in the program than any other guy at the time was attempting) and everything about his overall skating was superior.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thought this thread was about 2021 people.... is it really necessary to rehash your frustration about Boston 2016 (and yes, the ice was terrible there.. everyone could see it was a giant puddle) ? And not only that, argue once more that judges got it wrong ??? There are so many threads about past scoring scrutinized in all possible ways. It would be nice to have a thread that is about an event that hasn't yet happened be free of the old bickering shown elsewhere.