gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From JSF Twitter

新型コロナウイルス感染症の情勢を考慮し、フィギュアスケートのISU ジュニアグランプリ大会およびチャレンジャーシリーズ大会への派遣中止を決定いたしました。
#フィギュアスケート

Google translation

Considering the situation of new coronavirus infectious diseases, we have decided to stop dispatching figure skating to ISU Junior Grand Prix competition and Challenger series competition.

:(

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Poor kids who will lose one season. Only a few will be able to compete internationally (JWC). I hope JSF will send some junior at seniors B in January and February which have novice and junior competitions.

Rin Nitaya "unretired" probably because she expected to compete internationally. She could have gotten a challenger. I hope she will get a GP after her good performance at nats. If GP series happen.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
If the JGP and Challengers get cancelled in the end, no issues and good for them for being prudent and anticipating this.
If not, and skaters from other countries rack up points while Japanese skaters (and others who won't be able to compete due to restrictions) are stuck with domestic events... then this is quite unfair and will end up hurting the Japanese skaters.
What's even more unfair -at this point- is the JFed's distinction between skaters worthy and unworthy of international assignments. They could have issued a blanket ban on their skaters competing internationally, but didn't. They made an exception for the GP. GP-guaranteed skaters can compete, the other ones cannot. Way to go in deepening the gap between their world standings. This dismissal of skaters not guaranteed senior GP is all too blatant for me. It's all about money, apparently, not about skaters' health. And that annoys me the most. Call me crazy and paranoid, but I wonder if JFS would be in such a rush to ban e.g. juniors from going to JGP if Kagiyama had not been in seniors already. So disappointing because I find it very hard to believe the Fed was motivated by real health concerns.

icetug

Medalist
[Is the whole challenger series or specifically the first five events? The other articles I found name up to the Budapest trophy, so they could maybe allow skaters to take part in later events such as Golden Spin?

They named competitions till October. But there are still possible challengers in November and December, including Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin. And what about skaters training outside Japan, like Satoko and Koshiro? Why can't they be sent for ACI and Nebelhorn, respectively?

surimi

Record Breaker
They never send their skaters to late Challengers though. Probably it's too close to regionals and Nationals.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If the JGP and Challengers get cancelled in the end, no issues and good for them for being prudent and anticipating this.
If not, and skaters from other countries rack up points while Japanese skaters (and others who won't be able to compete due to restrictions)... then this is quite unfair and will end up hurting the Japanese skaters.
What's even more unfair -at this point- is the JFed's distinction between skaters worthy and unworthy of international assignments. They could have issued a blanket ban on their skaters competing internationally, but didn't. They made an exception for the GP. GP-guaranteed skaters can compete, the other ones cannot. Way to go in deepening the gap between their world standings. This dismissal of skaters not guaranteed senior GP is all too blatant for me. It's all about money, apparently, not about skaters' health. And that annoys me the most. Call me crazy and paranoid, but I wonder if JFS would be in such a rush to ban e.g. juniors from going to JGP if Kagiyama had not been in seniors already. So disappointing because I find it very hard to believe the Fed was motivated by real health concerns.

JSF doesnt send enough lower ranked skaters to challengers and seniors B. It's always the skaters who have GPs who those competitions. I can understand that challengers are important. They are used to prepare GPs. But seniors B are not that important even if they count for WS. Some skaters need international experience.
It's unfair to always send the same skaters.

surimi

Record Breaker
JSF doesnt send enough lower ranked skaters to challengers and seniors B. It's always the skaters who have GPs who those competitions. I can understand that challengers are important. They are used to prepare GPs. But seniors B are not that important even if they count for WS. Some skaters need international experience.
It's unfair to always send the same skaters.

Not always, but it's often the case. For example Rin Nitaya and Mitsuki Sumoto were sent to Challengers eventhough they never appeared on the GP circuit. Taichiro Yamakuma also got a senior B a couple of years ago, eventhough AFAIK he wasn't considered for a GP.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not always, but it's often the case. For example Rin Nitaya and Mitsuki Sumoto were sent to Challengers eventhough they never appeared on the GP circuit. Taichiro Yamakuma also got a senior B a couple of years ago, eventhough AFAIK he wasn't considered for a GP.
Yes. Not strictly the same but almost.
These last seasons i only remember Rin Nitaya, Yura Matsuda and Yuna Aoki (skaters who didn't get a gp the same season) getting a challenger or a B competition in seniors ladies. For men, not many either.
That isn't enough imo. There are at least 6 challengers where usually JSF sends skaters (Lombardia, Nepela, Nebelhorn, Finlandia, US classic, ACI) and 3 B competitions (Bavarian open, Coupe du printemps, challenge cup). Sometimes there are 2 skaters in a competition. That's enough spots to split. But usually only one or two ladies/men outside those who have GP get those spot. JSF doesn't split enough.