General Info | Golden Skate

General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2020 Finlandia Trophy is the fifth in a series of ten events of the 2020-21 Figure Skating Challenger Series. The Challenger Series was established by the International Skating Union (ISU) during the 2014–15 season and the events consist of a group of senior-level events ranked below the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating. The series allows skaters to gain World Standing Points and is also a chance for officials to officiate at an international level. These events are required to include at least three disciplines (men's singles, ladies' singles, pair skating, and ice dancing) and to take place between August 1 and December 15.

MaHa75

On the Ice
Not postponed...they canceled! And really dissapointed because covid situation in europe and Finland is not bad at all! But finish federation choose easier way...And i do not like the idea of virtual conpetition eighter.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not postponed...they canceled! And really dissapointed because covid situation in europe and Finland is not bad at all! But finish federation choose easier way...And i do not like the idea of virtual conpetition eighter.

Finland has recently reintroduced border and quarantine restrictions that would have made it non-viable for athletes to attend. The federation didn't rally have a choice. :(

Country
Norway
Finland has recently reintroduced border and quarantine restrictions that would have made it non-viable for athletes to attend. The federation didn't rally have a choice. :(

Yep, I was afraid so... They are even closing the borders to Norway now, because they have stricter requirements for entering the country then the EU and we have just crossed the line. .

But to be fair, by October it´s likely the situation will be much worse, so I was never sure it could be arranged, so it is better that they decide now and don´t wait until last minute.

I hope they will manage to arrange a virtual one. It will not be the same but still, it would give us something.

Wondering what will happen to Nebelhorn Trophy. I still have a hope as Germany doesn´t have the same strict requirements, and they are still one of few countries which doesn´t require quarantine after returning home. But they are very close, so fingers crossed they manage to keep the numbers under control. It is just one month left.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Yep, I was afraid so... They are even closing the borders to Norway now, because they have stricter requirements for entering the country then the EU and we have just crossed the line. .

But to be fair, by October it´s likely the situation will be much worse, so I was never sure it could be arranged, so it is better that they decide now and don´t wait until last minute.

I hope they will manage to arrange a virtual one. It will not be the same but still, it would give us something.

Wondering what will happen to Nebelhorn Trophy. I still have a hope as Germany doesn´t have the same strict requirements, and they are still one of few countries which doesn´t require quarantine after returning home. But they are very close, so fingers crossed they manage to keep the numbers under control. It is just one month left.

I feel its a 50/50 situation right now, our numbers are going up, but the true impact wont be seen before mid September I guess. France is ahead of us all in europe, their numbers today, are our number in a month. A big issue are the tests, as we are running out of them slowly and mostly young folks are currently infected so they will carry the virus further, as they often dont show symptoms.

Bavaria wont open the schools until early September, so the spreading will be less intense compared to Berlin where lots of schools have infected children already. But as one of the strictest states, Bavaria will act quicker than Berlin does, so it could be a last minute decision, even days before the event.

Country
Norway
I feel its a 50/50 situation right now, our numbers are going up, but the true impact wont be seen before mid September I guess. France is ahead of us all in europe, their numbers today, are our number in a month. A big issue are the tests, as we are running out of them slowly and mostly young folks are currently infected so they will carry the virus further, as they often dont show symptoms.

Bavaria wont open the schools until early September, so the spreading will be less intense compared to Berlin where lots of schools have infected children already. But as one of the strictest states, Bavaria will act quicker than Berlin does, so it could be a last minute decision, even days before the event.

Ah, thank you for the information. We just have to wait and see I guess, but I didn´t know about the test issues, hope it will be solved in a good way.

For me it seems Germany has been able to control the new cases and stop local outbreaks. I think the situation can be compared to Norway, where we also are good in isolating infected and get control of local outbreaks. For now we have few national restrictions, other than isolation, quarantine and quarantine for visitos from high-risk countries, but the further openings with bigger crowds and stuff are paused by now because the numbers are slowly starting to increase.

The last 2 months or so we there been around 5-20 in hospital and very few in intensive care. At the worst in march we had around 300 in hospital. Compared to then the situation is quite good now.

The last few weeks the numbers have gone up, but they were stable last week, so we managed to control it for now. But as you say, school starting again is a major worry and there is really no doubt that children also place an important role in spreading the virus. School started here on Monday (5 days ago) and there are already several cases that school and kindergarten has to close in different areas because of a local breakout, and they are closing until the have control over the situation. For now there is no national closing of schools, and the strategy is to manage the local outbreaks where they are, and restrictions to be carefully considered for each area/region.

I also think it is a 50/50 chance. I kinda wish they would arrange it now before school starts because I think will be possible to have such a event in the upcoming weeks and probably there will be local breakouts like here in Norway when school starts again, but just let hope they can control it and make the restrictions where it is needed.

But of course, health comes first!