What to eat before skating? | Golden Skate

What to eat before skating?

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I hydrate when I wake up and have a yogurt while lacing up my skates, sometimes a banana before leaving the house. I have coffee and a proper breakfast after.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Protein shake. and hydrate with plenty of water.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Water, dark chocolate bar (for energy), Some sort of less acidic fruit (e.g Banana). A Hot drink is sometimes a good idea - hot chocolate, tea, coffee. Hot chocolate is good as its a milky drink, but if you are somebody that benefits from caffeine in the morning then coffee is a better option for you personally. Tea is good, as its also reasonably hydrating.
I'd avoid acidic fruits, but I personally have reflux so for some people it may be alright.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I eat a small cup of yogurt with a few berries and a few pecans mixed in, all washed down with a large cup of black tea.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so there's nothing magical about my choice of black tea. It's just my way of getting a bit of caffeine to get going.

Sibelius

On the Ice
You all are so healthy. Mornings were always tough since she (and I) have a real hard time eating early in the a.m., usually a muffin and milk in the car on the way. Afternoons though were donuts. Learned Ashley Wagner was a big donut fan. Now, she admits she had too many donuts (mine, not Ashley).

She's off now doing a 4 week ballet intensive. Hope to be back on the ice after that. Her skating camp got cut short when she was working on back power crossovers and hit the boards full speed. Nothing broken, but deep bruises to her hip and her shoulder. She lost a week and was on crutches for a few days, which is hard with a bad shoulder too.

Still no regular FS sessions at our rink, only organized "camps". No changes in sight either. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You all are so healthy. Mornings were always tough since she (and I) have a real hard time eating early in the a.m., usually a muffin and milk in the car on the way. Afternoons though were donuts. Learned Ashley Wagner was a big donut fan. Now, she admits she had too many donuts (mine, not Ashley).

She's off now doing a 4 week ballet intensive. Hope to be back on the ice after that. Her skating camp got cut short when she was working on back power crossovers and hit the boards full speed. Nothing broken, but deep bruises to her hip and her shoulder. She lost a week and was on crutches for a few days, which is hard with a bad shoulder too.

Still no regular FS sessions at our rink, only organized "camps". No changes in sight either. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

OMGoodness! I hope she heals and feels better soon.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I really like larabars. I have a hard time eating really early in the morning (I skate at 5 am) but those + coffee always serve me well. I think it's mostly trial and error to find what works for you.

Sibelius

On the Ice
OMGoodness! I hope she heals and feels better soon.

Thanks, she's good now. Took about 7 days of ice, heat, ibuprofen and stretching. Scared I wasted $2000 on the ballet program, but she was able to go.

This was the first time she was seriously hurt and I wasn't there for her. That's what bothered me the most. She was a big girl though, texted "I think I did some damage to my hip". Still won't wear pads...

Ducky

On the Ice
... Maybe a banana, if I can remember to buy one the night before, or some yogurt, or whatever looks the healthiest in the vending machine... there have been a few times when I just skip breakfast all together.

I really, really hate early mornings.

Which reminds me that I need to buy yogurt tonight because I get to go skating tomorrow for the first time since the Before Time.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
... Maybe a banana, if I can remember to buy one the night before, or some yogurt, or whatever looks the healthiest in the vending machine... there have been a few times when I just skip breakfast all together.

I really, really hate early mornings.

Which reminds me that I need to buy yogurt tonight because I get to go skating tomorrow for the first time since the Before Time.
<<Emphasis added.>> I've been skimming re-opening protocols for rinks. Many state that vending machines are disconnected. Make sure to bring your own snacks and water.