Worlds 2020 Merchandise on Sale | Golden Skate

Worlds 2020 Merchandise on Sale

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got an email today from Skate Canada announcing that they are selling Worlds 2020 merchandise at a deep discount. Clearly they need to get rid of this stuff, but who is really going to buy commemorative merchandise for an event that didn't happen? LOL

This is the email copy in English:

The event that almost was…the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020 were cancelled due to COVID-19 just prior to the start of the event, but now you can purchase the limited-edition merchandise created exclusively for Worlds 2020! All merchandise on the site is available for purchase at CLEARANCE prices!

Beginning on Thursday, July 16, 2020, all merchandise will be for sale on Skate Canada’s merchandise shop: https://worlds-figure-skating.myshopify.com.

Along with rock-bottom prices, as an added value, the official Worlds 2020 souvenir program (original value of $25) will be included with every purchase of $50 CAD or more before taxes.

We can’t wait to see what you choose from the selection of clothing, accessories and one-of-a-kind Worlds 2020 mementos. Be sure to tag us on social and use #Montreal2020!

Questions? Visit our FAQ page for more information on the Worlds 2020 merchandise.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I got an email today from Skate Canada announcing that they are selling Worlds 2020 merchandise at a deep discount. Clearly they need to get rid of this stuff, but who is really going to buy commemorative merchandise for an event that didn't happen? LOL

You'd be surprised. Actually, so would I for much of it, but it will depend on whether the skaters and if so which of them are pictured on the merchandise.

Fandom is very much about collecting everything and anything, and the very fact that it didn't happen and therefore few people will want it just may in the future heighten its rarity factor. That isn't important in countries where the sport is not popular and unlikely to become so. But if they've put Yuzu in Origin, or all three of the then 3A on it? - and I'd at least think about any of the youngsters who might become as big a big star in the future (except I wouldn't right because postage into Australia is dodgy at best).

I've seen sillier collectibles from the sixties and seventies get treasured by their owners now.

icybear

Medalist
16 dollar for a travel mug? No thank you. I could buy a top brand Thermos mug for much less.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Me :confused2:
What can I say, I love a sale and the merch is cute. I put 9 things in my cart to buy plus with the conversion rate, it was an offer that was too good to say no :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry, I went and had a look. No skaters on them -? The fire sale will have to drop further before they sell :(

Amei

Record Breaker
They should do what the NFL does (or did) with the Superbowl losers t-shirts, they send them to Africa for kids to have. Who in the world would want merchandise for an event that never happened.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How were rates for shipping?

I ordered by email so I won't know until Monday.

But shipping rates is depending on the $$$ you spend and location. Someone on FSU said to the US it was $20 (CAD?) with no tax but I don't know how much she spent.

I think I want to put some more stuff on my order :drama:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They should do what the NFL does (or did) with the Superbowl losers t-shirts, they send them to Africa for kids to have. Who in the world would want merchandise for an event that never happened.

They would be super collector's items if they didn't send them to Africa,

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How were rates for shipping?

$20 CAD for $51 worth of stuff. Which I think is highway robbery, but after the exchange rate my whole order of $71 was $50 something. which included a free program.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They are going to charge me 13.90 CDN for shipping within Canada of a $4 item (or two $4 items). They could probably just shove the lanyard in an envelope (with card stock so it doesn't poke through) and mail it at the letter rate. So, no thanks.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who in the world would want merchandise for an event that never happened.

Maybe people who are planning a "This Was The Year The World Wanted To Forget' time capsule? Though I sadly suspect there will be a lot of other souvenirs that will be available for that one...

JamesLondon

Spectator

For a $4 pin, the shipping fee was $41. Clearly not a good bargain.

katymay

Medalist

I would actually. And I really wanted the program. BUT, $21.00 for shipping? Yikes. (And I am fairly close to Montreal) I would have gone 10.00 for shipping, but 21.00 is absurd.