Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
OMG. I don't know how to digest this horrific news. I was just preparing to go on a full on mourning mode with tomorrow being the second memorial day for Denis Ten. How tragic and uncanny this news coincided. :sad21: RIP Katia.

Lana05

Final Flight
You're touching words brought tears to my eyes. it's hard to believe this disaster of a year the worst year I can ever remember in my life is only a little more than half over.

Rest in peace Katya. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family. I'm so sorry her mother is struggling so much. Sad.

Because figure skating is so beautiful and we all will post here love it so much have to remember on so many levels this is a brutal sport for young athletes physically and emotionally.

We all know many of these young ladies many of whom are Russian whose careers did not develop and have not fulfilled their vast potential. I sometimes wonder when they're going through emotionally. I'm thinking of Panekova Tarankova and Gubanova just to name 3. their careers have not developed like many of us have fought for many reasons. Can you imagine what they're feeling especially if they feel like they let their parents down after all the money they pumped into their careers? I hope the Russian Federation and other sports federations gets their athletes the proper mental help. Not that these three very talented and very promising at one point girls would ever do anything to themselves. But who thought this would be the ending for Katya? It's just so sad. we have to remember these are human beings even though they're super athletes but they're just like all of us here at this forum made of flesh and bone and they have their weaknesses as all humans do.

And didn't one of Russia's rhythmic gymnasts recently slice her wrist and end up in the hospital?

I wish there was a way all athletic federation's could stay on top of suicide issues better than they do. But we have to be honest there are no easy answers here. I wish there were.

Why are you talking about Russia here?? She was competing for Australia and trained abroad. Did Australian federation provided any mental help her? It's not Russia's fault that country has many athletes but just 3 spots. Professional sport is cruel. Gold and Daleman said about their depression thoughts. Ir's a worldwide problrm

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
The mother of the deceased figure skater Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya was hospitalized in a psychiatric clinic.

Life can be so unkind to some people :( Katia's father had already passed away suddenly only five years ago, and now this happens... I hope she has enough people around her to give her all the love and support that she needs to heal.
Still crying.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why are you talking about Russia here?? She was competing for Australia and trained abroad. Did Australian federation provided any mental help her? It's not Russia's fault that country has many athletes but just 3 spots. Professional sport is cruel. Gold and Daleman said about their depression thoughts. Ir's a worldwide problrm
Sorry Lana.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I just heard the news on Facebook and my heart hurts. It's tragic when someone so young succumbs to depression in such a permanent manner. Rise in light, Katia. My deepest condolences to all who cared about her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
FsUniverse forum discussed about her being in a clinical depression state for quite some time.
Suspected jumping out of her 6th floor apt in Moscow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

We aren't suppose to speculate. No matter what this is tragic. So young and talented . May she rest in peace.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This is horrible. Rest in peace, Katia :( Sending love to her family and friends.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
First Chris Reed, and now Katia, I can't believe it. It's so utterly sad :cry::cry::cry: Rest in peace :pray:

We aren't suppose to speculate. No matter what this is tragic. So young and talented . May she rest in peace.

Exactaly, whatever the reason, it is tragic.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Such heartbreaking news, deepest condolences to her friends and family.
Rest in peace Katia, we will not forget the beautiful performances you gave us.

macy

Record Breaker
This year just keeps getting worse. I can't imagine the demons she was fighting...i hope she found peace and is no longer suffering and I pray for strength and healing for her mother. Just terrible. May she rest in peace.

Lana05

Final Flight
https://www.kp.ru/daily/27157.5/4255497/
Her coach Andrei Khekalo said that Alexandra suffered from epilepsy
In January 2020, when the skater Yekaterina Alexandrovskaya was preparing for the championship of four continents, the athlete had an epilepsy attack. She was preparing to perform at an important tournament for her with Harley Windsor, but after that, the doctors urged her to complete her sports career.

The skater's coach Andrei Khekalo told the details of that tragic moment:

- It was a very serious competition for Katie and Harley, at which it was necessary to perform well. We trained the last time on January 10th. And then Katya simply did not come to training - she had an epileptic seizure. It’s good that mom was at home. She was very scared, they quickly took an ambulance and Katya spent two weeks in the hospital for an examination, - Hekalo says in an interview with the R-Sport agency.
As the coach notes, even after this incident, he believed that the skater could continue to perform. And he personally spoke with the doctors, proving that we need to continue to prepare:

- Despite the sores, many athletes perform. I still tried to persuade me to ride on, but they convinced me that Katya should finish and take up another life. The doctor told me that this is epilepsy and that Katya hardly needs to go in for sports professionally. An attack can happen at any time, says Hekalo.

After a while, we recall, Aleksandrovskaya's partner announced that the couple was completing joint performances. And Catherine is officially leaving the big sport. In July, it became known about the death of a young athlete.

Finley

Record Breaker
Katia is loved and she will be remembered.

My heart goes out to her mother.