Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So extraordinarily sad:sad21:

My sympathies to her loved ones.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:( :( :(

What dreadful news. My heart goes out to her mother, to all her family and fans, and to Harley.

They were an amazing couple. She was amazing.

May all who loved her find some comfort.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Whatever the reason (I have seen some articles that purport to know the exact cause of death) it is tragic to lose someone so young and so unexpectedly. I hope she rests in peace.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
FsUniverse forum discussed about her being in a clinical depression state for quite some time.
Suspected jumping out of her 6th floor apt in Moscow.

This makes me so sad. I wonder what demons she had, leading to such an extreme choice, if it's true. :(

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This makes my heart hurt.

I wish her family and the people who loved her peace and comfort. Sometimes there aren’t any other words.

Orlov

Medalist
This makes me so sad. I wonder what demons she had, leading to such an extreme choice, if it's true. :(

Not a demons. Maybe it's just a disease.

The world Junior champion in pair skating Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya had an epilepsy attack in January, after which doctors recommended that she end her professional career, the figure skater's coach, Andrey Hekalo, told RIA Novosti.

"The last time we trained, probably on January 10. Then she had a seizure. She was put in for a check-up before the four continents Championships. It was a very serious competition for Katya and Harley, where they had to perform well. Katya didn't come to training, she had an epileptic attack. Her mother was scared, it was a good that she was home. An ambulance was quickly called, and Katya was hospitalized for two weeks for an examination. After that, I went to the doctor, and the doctor told me that this is epilepsy and it is unlikely that Katya needs to play sports professionally, because this (attack) could happen at any moment" said Hekalo.

Poor girl. World is... difficult and scary place sometimes...

NaVi

Medalist
Not a demons. Maybe it's just a disease.

"Depression is the inability to construct a future" - Rollo May

When people think of "psychology" they think way too much that it's all in a person's head. In reality, what goes on in someone's head has more to do with how they're socially embedded. Disease may have been a factor consider she gave up the sport over epilepsy, but it's more the loss of identity (which really means loss of role and loss of meaningful social connections that make each other part of each other's memories) that led to depression.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Oh, no, no, no! I am in total disbelief. It's so sad! Depression is such a serious thing. I didn't even know Katia and Harley had split, now the split is complete. Can this 2020 be any worse? Rest In Peace dear Katia!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
RIP Katia. I've been off line for two days, and am just now reading this. How terribly sad. And her poor mother. Heartbreaking.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
"Depression is the inability to construct a future" - Rollo May

When people think of "psychology" they think way too much that it's all in a person's head. In reality, what goes on in someone's head has more to do with how they're socially embedded. Disease may have been a factor consider she gave up the sport over epilepsy, but it's more the loss of identity (which really means loss of role and loss of meaningful social connections that make each other part of each other's memories) that led to depression.

That quote hit the nail on the head. I lost two family members this way, and though they were separated in age by more than 50 years the unifying element was a sense of lost purpose in life. Nevertheless there were certainly physiological factors in their depression (dementia and bipolar disorder respectively) besides the social ones, which complicated treatment. As you mention, this may have been the case with Katia as well.

On a side note, while more attention is certainly needed to recognise and treat mental health issues in general, speaking from experience it's important for family and friends not to descend into survivor's guilt when something like this happens.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
"The last time we trained, probably on January 10. Then she had a seizure. She was put in for a check-up before the four continents Championships. It was a very serious competition for Katya and Harley, where they had to perform well. Katya didn't come to training, she had an epileptic attack. Her mother was scared, it was a good that she was home. An ambulance was quickly called, and Katya was hospitalized for two weeks for an examination. After that, I went to the doctor, and the doctor told me that this is epilepsy and it is unlikely that Katya needs to play sports professionally, because this (attack) could happen at any moment" said Hekalo.

Most people with epilepsy can do most sports. Contact sports such as football, rugby, and ice hockey are generally safe for people with seizures. People with epilepsy are often wrongly advised against participating in sports, mostly because of ignorance about the risks associated with such activities. She should have been allowed to return to figure skating. Her conditions could have improved after taking a year off. I used to have febrile seizures that can happen when a young child has a fever above 100.4°F (38°C). Fever, menstrual periods, a lack of sleep, and stress can all increase the risk of seizures and we need to watch out for these risk factors associated with epilepsy.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Most people with epilepsy can do most sports. Contact sports such as football, rugby, and ice hockey are generally safe for people with seizures. People with epilepsy are often wrongly advised against participating in sports, mostly because of ignorance about the risks associated with such activities. She should have been allowed to return to figure skating. Her conditions could have improved after taking a year off. I used to have febrile seizures that can happen when a young child has a fever above 100.4°F (38°C). Fever, menstrual periods, a lack of sleep, and stress can all increase the risk of seizures and we need to watch out for these risk factors associated with epilepsy.

Thank you for that pertinent information. It completely opens my eyes and blows my mind at the same time. Poor Katya. So much to deal with for any human being.
But she was only human after all.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I hope she’s in a better place now.
So sorry for her parents and close ones.
Rest in piece, dear Katia.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Thank you for sharing. I am not sure if you are a doctor but I think we have to trust her doctors did what was best for Katia. In the end we will miss Katia and a life that counts. it is times like this I keep remembering there is more to winning Sometimes I wonder and what is the point of winning a gold in skating or running the fastest 100m or... I mean how does it really deal with the world's issues. Its nice. Yes, you worked hard but sometimes there is a bit of luck,politics and gamesmanship. This is not about blame. how do we instill a sense of value in all people. I struggle with depression and my faith has kept me from committing suicide. I was once quoted in the newspaper after it was revealed that I was the student who was abused at a bible college. I know I don't count in this world. I just hold on to my faith. I don't know what happened fully with Katia but I just wished she knows she was valued skating or no skating, gold, silver, bronze or nothing. Over the next while build up yourselves and others. You all are important and ditto for these skaters that we discuss. Keep safe and love yourselves and one another. Hopefully this tragedy can inspire us all to be better, do better and love better!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we have to remember that, even as much as we love and follow these young people, we do so from a way aways, and are not really in a position to second-guess those closer and more directly involved in their lives. It's best and wisest - and kindest - to assume, without evidence to the contrary, that both Ekaterina and those around her, her team and sports mates, her family, her medical support, all of them did the very best they knew how to do. Sometimes, the very best can never be enough, and they are the ones who have to live with that, not us.

I wish with all my heart that there had been an answer to this girl's troubles and it could have saved her, and I am sure that everyone whose life she touched is now wondering if there was something, anything more or better that they could have done, but it's not outsiders' place to make that call. Let's just send thoughts and wishes for all of them, the ones whose names we know and the ones who we will never hear of.