Using the same boots for freestyle and dance | Golden Skate

Using the same boots for freestyle and dance

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
For those of you who do both freestyle and dance, if you had to only use one pair of skates for both disciplines due to budget constraints, would it be a freestyle or dance boot?

I've been using my freestyle boots for pattern dances, as do many skaters I know who test in dance. But then, they do mainly freestyle (and compete in it), while I'm about 50:50 (and compete rarely if at all, as an adult skater). I noticed that the low-cut boots that Jackson sells are marketed for both dance/synchro and singles skaters who prefer a low cut boot (Jason Brown is a high-profile example). So I'm wondering which is a better compromise, jumping in low-cut boots or dancing in high-cut ones? Regardless of boot cut, I guess the blade would need to be freestyle to safely allow jumps.

It's not a pressing concern for me, since my current boots are working fine. I'm just interested to hear people's opinions :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For those of you who do both freestyle and dance, if you had to only use one pair of skates for both disciplines due to budget constraints, would it be a freestyle or dance boot?

I've been using my freestyle boots for pattern dances, as do many skaters I know who test in dance. But then, they do mainly freestyle (and compete in it), while I'm about 50:50 (and compete rarely if at all, as an adult skater). I noticed that the low-cut boots that Jackson sells are marketed for both dance/synchro and singles skaters who prefer a low cut boot (Jason Brown is a high-profile example). So I'm wondering which is a better compromise, jumping in low-cut boots or dancing in high-cut ones? Regardless of boot cut, I guess the blade would need to be freestyle to safely allow jumps.

It's not a pressing concern for me, since my current boots are working fine. I'm just interested to hear people's opinions :)

I have separate dance and free skate boots. but if i had to wear one like you, lowcut freestyle, just make sure you can get proper knee bend in them. If you decide to compete dance, you're going to need dance blades and I would never recommend jumping in those.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I have separate dance and free skate boots. but if i had to wear one like you, lowcut freestyle, just make sure you can get proper knee bend in them. If you decide to compete dance, you're going to need dance blades and I would never recommend jumping in those.

Thanks Ic3Rabbit! Will bear that in mind for my next pair of boots when the time comes :thumbsup:

It seems a bit weird that Jackson doesn't have a low-cut version of Premiere. It goes straight from Debut low-cut to Elite low-cut, which might be a problem in future :disapp:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks Ic3Rabbit! Will bear that in mind for my next pair of boots when the time comes :thumbsup:

It seems a bit weird that Jackson doesn't have a low-cut version of Premiere. It goes straight from Debut low-cut to Elite low-cut, which might be a problem in future :disapp:

Yeah, it will. Can you only wear Jackson?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Have you tried Riedell or Graf?

Not so far. My feet are quite wide/square at the toes. Isn't Riedell supposed to run narrow/have a tapered toebox?

Graf seems to be really rare in Canada where I live at the moment - the only pair I've seen in real life are my coach's old battered skates (acquired in Europe), and the local shop doesn't stock them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not so far. My feet are quite wide/square at the toes. Isn't Riedell supposed to run narrow/have a tapered toebox?

Graf seems to be really rare in Canada where I live at the moment - the only pair I've seen in real life are my coach's old battered skates (acquired in Europe), and the local shop doesn't stock them.

Depends on the model.

If your shop is good enough they can get anything in.

Honestly at this point for you, I'd suggest in getting a custom w/ everything you need/want and have it over with, I'm doubtful there will be any stock for your needs.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Yes, my skater uses Jackson for both. But she is still a beginner for ice dance right now. Not sure whether she needs dance boots if she gets into high level.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Honestly at this point for you, I'd suggest in getting a custom w/ everything you need/want and have it over with, I'm doubtful there will be any stock for your needs.

Definitely starting to think about custom in the long run :thumbsup: If it can function well for more than 2 years without bothering my lumps and bumps, it would already be cheaper than the stock boots I've used in the same period...

sk8forlife

Rinkside

I have tested International Dances in my freeskate boots and Pattern 99 blades, so anything is possible! If you are thinking about trying a different blade, the MK Dynasty is really a hybrid of shorter length, similar to dance blades, with more aggressive toe picks, similar to Pattern 99. The blade was developed for synchro skaters but could easily be used for Freeskate. I personally love a lower-cut boot as it allows for a lot of flexibility in the ankle but it isn't for everyone.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have tested International Dances in my freeskate boots and Pattern 99 blades, so anything is possible! If you are thinking about trying a different blade, the MK Dynasty is really a hybrid of shorter length, similar to dance blades, with more aggressive toe picks, similar to Pattern 99. The blade was developed for synchro skaters but could easily be used for Freeskate. I personally love a lower-cut boot as it allows for a lot of flexibility in the ankle but it isn't for everyone.

Yes, but are you an ice dancer and running dances in them all the time? not just for tests? Because if she wants to do dance regularly and not just for tests, I would not suggest anything but a dance blade for her. In a pinch I can do stuff in my 99s too but dance blades for anything else dance related.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely starting to think about custom in the long run :thumbsup: If it can function well for more than 2 years without bothering my lumps and bumps, it would already be cheaper than the stock boots I've used in the same period...

If you aren't doing alot, then yes customs should last you longer than 2 years, it's just if you get more advanced, they would start breaking down.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I did all of my dances up to Gold in my Jackson freeskate boots and pattern 99s, but I was always primarily a freeskater and only danced really for my tests. I now have both freeskate and dance boots (both Ridell Fusion, pattern 99 for freeskate, MK Dance blades) and wearing dance blades makes a huge difference. (I love the fusion boot for dance, not crazy about it for freeskate as I'm a larger skater and really miss the extra support when jumping.) I can come around corners much tighter than in my freeskate blades and I am much more over my blades because there is much less room for error. If you're doing both dance and freeskate and only dancing for test, then a freeskate boot is fine since you can make dance work in freeskate blades, but you can't jump in dance blades (not well anyways. I have tried.)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I was a high level dancer back before dance boots were a thing. I remember Graf introducing some but I elected to stay with my SP Teris. I also did all my dance tests on Phantoms specials and only moved grudgingly to MK Dance a short time before wrecking my right knee. You can get good knee bend in a freestyle boot, especially if you don't lace the top hooks. I love the slickness of MK Dance blades, but I wouldn't want to do more than a waltz jump in them.

For the past couple of years, I've been skating in Graf Dance boots, which are just the best boots ever. I have wide feet and they do a wide fitting, although I don't usually need it. Lovely wide toe box. The Edmonton Special is great, too.