Experience on new JW MK lite blades? | Golden Skate

Experience on new JW MK lite blades?

EstelleIce

Spectator
Hey everyone. I'm a lurker from time to time in this forum and got a ton of info from all of you! but this is the first time I'll be posting. :)

So I've looked around the internet and I have not seen any inputs regarding the new MK Pro Lite and the JW Coronation Ace Lite. Does anyone have experience skating on these blades? What does it feel like? How does it differ from the regular ace and pro? or even the rev versions of both blades?

All I know is that they are lightweight and "better" for jumps, but I'm more interested in the overall skating experience with these blades.

Thanks so much in advance.

Estelle <3

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
I haven't tried them but someone at my rink said that they could feel a slight improvement on edge change. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not. They might just be regurgitating what they read somewhere but I would think they would function pretty much the same.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone. I'm a lurker from time to time in this forum and got a ton of info from all of you! but this is the first time I'll be posting. :)

So I've looked around the internet and I have not seen any inputs regarding the new MK Pro Lite and the JW Cor Ace Lite. Does anyone have experience skating on these blades? What does it feel like? How does it differ from the regular ace and pro? or even the rev versions of both blades?

All I know is that they are lightweight and "better" for jumps, but I'm more interested in the overall skating experience with these blades.

Estelle <3

All they basically did to make these blades was to slimline the edges to allow for a quick edge change and difference like a dance blade. I hate the carbon fibre anything and also that they are still like a revolution blade that just sucks IMO as I've expressed here many times. They are not fun to catch blade spin in.

My advice is stick to traditional MK Pro or JW Coro Ace.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'm on a trial basis for these blades. Will let you know my experience after Saturday. My fitter ran out of regular aces in my size and they'll have it in stock probably in 3-4 weeks. So she told me to try the CA lite blade first and if I hate it, they'll get me a regular one instead. Mind you I do not do jumps, nor do fancy footwork and spins. Just an adult beginner working on half jumps, simple spins, and some other basic moves. I skate on Mark IVs so these will still be an improvement (hopefully), and I know I don't need lite blades but it can't hurt to try. :laugh:

Comparing them side by side, not really much of a difference tbh (Also the lite looks tougher than one might think). My fitter tried them out and she said that they were basically the same blade. The edge improvement varies from person to person, she didn't feel the edge improvement but one skater said she did. The only thing different that she noticed was it was lighter.

Ask your fitter if you can try these blades out for a spin. These blades are new to the market so they might offer a trial period for these blades or maybe your pro shop has a generous return policy.

EstelleIce

Spectator
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, the edge change is something that I am also curious about. It's good to know that there are skaters trying this out. Looking forward to more responses about this.

@Ic3Rabbit this is what initially intrigued me. It looks like a revolution blade without the carbon fibre. And you're right, there is quite an adjustment period when it comes to catch foot maneuvers. It's either skaters love it or hate it.

@jcskates Oh that's nice! You got to compare them side by side and you get to try them out. That's what I am wondering too, they look so thin that they would snap. As stated, they do not have carbon fibre and it made me question its strength. Do not worry about being a beginner, I look forward to reading your initial experience on these blades.

Estelle <3

sk8forlife

Rinkside

So I've looked around the internet and I have not seen any inputs regarding the new MK Pro Lite and the JW Coronation Ace Lite. Does anyone have experience skating on these blades? What does it feel like? How does it differ from the regular ace and pro? or even the rev versions of both blades?

Estelle <3
I have a student who moved from the traditional Coronation Ace blade to the new Coronation Ace Lite and LOVES the blades. She was struggling with Axel and now lands consistently. Recently tested her Novice Moves (after some previous attempts) and passed. Edges were improved and she found them easier for her loops too. I highly recommend them.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Background: Came from Mark IV (8ft rocker), blades got a lot shorter (from 10.33 to 9.50), also new boots (rf3 pro, 1 size shorter than my previous boots).

So, here's my first try on them. I could get to my right outside edge a little easier now (still can't hold it long and deep though due to excessive pronation). Although I felt my other edges are slightly better and smoother-ish. Two-foot spins and fwd 3-turns are much better and smoother, no toepick scraping. Still getting a hang of one foot spins. Backwards skating is easier now. The toe picks are larger than my previous blades but not as scary as I thought. Tried a mini waltz jump and I landed it on my back RO edge which was a first for me (usually landing it on a flat edge, also only held it for less than 2 seconds).

My experience on this can be a combination of the shorter and better blades&boots compared to my old jackson artiste kit and maybe not the blade itself. Plus I'm an adult beginner with not a lot of skills and experience so not the best person to talk about this... :think:

EstelleIce

Spectator
@sk8forlife congratulations on passing her tests! Landing axels is always an accomplishment.

@jcskates that is a huge change. And yes, it may not be the blades themselves but it's good to hear your experience on this.

So far the improved edges is the consistent answer from all of you. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to answer my query. If anyone has any experience or more info on this that would be appreciated.

Estelle <3

mlfronimos

Spectator
@sk8forlife congratulations on passing her tests! Landing axels is always an accomplishment.

@jcskates that is a huge change. And yes, it may not be the blades themselves but it's good to hear your experience on this.

So far the improved edges is the consistent answer from all of you. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to answer my query. If anyone has any experience or more info on this that would be appreciated.

Estelle <3
Assuming you haven’t already made a decision, I had these on my first skates I purchased this year but was fitted wrong and only skated in them a few weeks before getting new ones and these blades would have taken a week to get so I went with Ultima Legacy 8. Fast forward to now and I’m on my 3rd pair of skates that I just ordered and was forced to go back to skating due to an injury the 2nd pair that comes back every time I skate. Nonetheless, not wanting to back out of practices while waiting for new skates, I went back to the skates with the CA Lites and cut back on jumps due to heel slippage but can tell you it’s night and day difference. My spins are easy to center even with my foot in a boot that’s too large, my edges and turns are precise and I’m much more confident in them. I was struggling with basic 3 turns in the legacy and couldn’t center a spin and I was starting to think it was me until I swapped back to the 7’ rocker and CA.
Now I’m struggling with blade selection because it’s clear I do better with a 7’ rocker but also feel I need a more aggressive pick because as a returning adult skater I’m not as flexible and feel insecure with toe jumps on the aces, which is all I’ve ever skated in and didn’t have issues in my younger years. But if I end up sticking with aces, I’m going with the lites again. As far as blade strength, I’m a heavy skater and have no fear they will keep up with abuse of landing jumps with my extra weight.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Assuming you haven’t already made a decision, I had these on my first skates I purchased this year but was fitted wrong and only skated in them a few weeks before getting new ones and these blades would have taken a week to get so I went with Ultima Legacy 8. Fast forward to now and I’m on my 3rd pair of skates that I just ordered and was forced to go back to skating due to an injury the 2nd pair that comes back every time I skate. Nonetheless, not wanting to back out of practices while waiting for new skates, I went back to the skates with the CA Lites and cut back on jumps due to heel slippage but can tell you it’s night and day difference. My spins are easy to center even with my foot in a boot that’s too large, my edges and turns are precise and I’m much more confident in them. I was struggling with basic 3 turns in the legacy and couldn’t center a spin and I was starting to think it was me until I swapped back to the 7’ rocker and CA.
Now I’m struggling with blade selection because it’s clear I do better with a 7’ rocker but also feel I need a more aggressive pick because as a returning adult skater I’m not as flexible and feel insecure with toe jumps on the aces, which is all I’ve ever skated in and didn’t have issues in my younger years. But if I end up sticking with aces, I’m going with the lites again. As far as blade strength, I’m a heavy skater and have no fear they will keep up with abuse of landing jumps with my extra weight.
The reason for your problem with the Legacy is because it has a flat rocker, the CA doesn't. If you want a more aggressive pick and think you are ready for them, MK Phantom would be your blade (7ft rocker).

mlfronimos

Spectator
The reason for your problem with the Legacy is because it has a flat rocker, the CA doesn't. If you want a more aggressive pick and think you are ready for them, MK Phantom would be your blade (7ft rocker).
That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to talk myself into. I already paid for custom skates so why worry about the little extra at this point to go with phantoms. The only blades I could reuse are the Legacy so I’m getting new blades regardless because it was a rough few months of what I initially thought was breaking in new boots and shorter blades. Was real eye opening to see what a different blade could do, which makes me extra nervous to switch blades. But I thoroughly enjoy jumping and do so as often as I can just for fun, don’t enjoy spinning so I only do so if required, want a crosscut pick and 7’ rocker so it’s CA or Phantom! I do synchro and freestyle so my worry is the drag pick getting in the way initially but the season is over now with rink shut downs again so I’ll have time to get used to them before synchro starts up next season. I’ve also not compared both in person and could be worried about something that’s not any different and just appears larger/lower in photos.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to talk myself into. I already paid for custom skates so why worry about the little extra at this point to go with phantoms. The only blades I could reuse are the Legacy so I’m getting new blades regardless because it was a rough few months of what I initially thought was breaking in new boots and shorter blades. Was real eye opening to see what a different blade could do, which makes me extra nervous to switch blades. But I thoroughly enjoy jumping and do so as often as I can just for fun, don’t enjoy spinning so I only do so if required, want a crosscut pick and 7’ rocker so it’s CA or Phantom! I do synchro and freestyle so my worry is the drag pick getting in the way initially but the season is over now with rink shut downs again so I’ll have time to get used to them before synchro starts up next season. I’ve also not compared both in person and could be worried about something that’s not any different and just appears larger/lower in photos.
The drag pick is larger on the phantom, but it's easy to get used to!

Elija

On the Ice
I second the phantom suggestion! I recently switched to them after CA and love them. I don’t notice the larger toepick other then with jumps. The spin rocker is not as curved as CA, which is what I wanted as didn’t like the really curved rocker, and the blade overall feels a lot more stable. I also think my speed has improved with these.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I do synchro and freestyle so my worry is the drag pick getting in the way initially but the season is over now with rink shut downs again so I’ll have time to get used to them before synchro starts up next season. I’ve also not compared both in person and could be worried about something that’s not any different and just appears larger/lower in photos.
I've had Phantoms for umpteen years. No pick problems when I used to do synchro and Theatre on Ice. I just bought a replacement pair for freestyle and use my older pair for Move in the Field.
The only discipline I find hard to do in Phantoms is Ice Dance but there are many dancers that use this blade. Of course they are a lot younger then me and more advanced. :)

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I used Phantoms for years for both ice dance (high level) and freestyle and absolutely adored them. Found out the hard way, however, that they are incompatible with dance or lower cut boots. It's the top pick which catches when I point my foot, so I've now swapped to MK Gold Star. Still missing those Phantoms, though. Best blade on the planet.