Social distancing and skating | Golden Skate

Social distancing and skating

iceskating21

On the Ice
My rink has officially reopened. We have multiple freestyle sessions most days. But the rink clearly states some types of skating are not allowed because of social distance. They include: ice dance, synchronized skating, theater on ice, and etc.

Well, some people still have ice dance lessons. Coaches just instruct students without partnering. Synchronized team also only has individual practice instead of team practice….. But in this way, all related tests and competitions cancelled won’t come back until the social distance restriction is lifted.

Well, experts estimate that the pandemic will last 1-5 years. I feel that social distance will be the last restriction to be lifted in pandemic. So if this situation lasts 1-5 years, the skating I mentioned above are all cancelled? Then why do we still have ice dance lesson, synchronized skating lesson and etc.? Just wonder, is this the case in other places too?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My rink has officially reopened. We have multiple freestyle sessions most days. But the rink clearly states some types of skating are not allowed because of social distance. They include: ice dance, synchronized skating, theater on ice, and etc.

Well, some people still have ice dance lessons. Coaches just instruct students without partnering. Synchronized team also only has individual practice instead of team practice….. But in this way, all related tests and competitions cancelled won’t come back until the social distance restriction is lifted.

Well, experts estimate that the pandemic will last 1-5 years. I feel that social distance will be the last restriction to be lifted in pandemic. So if this situation lasts 1-5 years, the skating I mentioned above are all cancelled? Then why do we still have ice dance lesson, synchronized skating lesson and etc.? Just wonder, is this the case in other places too?

Then it must be just your rink because I know many others who have gotten around all you are talking about and can safely do ice dance and other things. Elite ice dancers and pairs are practicing together, working out together, etc..

ETA: Also, you might want to look at your thread from 3 months ago, there was alot of input there https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?85536-When-do-you-think-skaters-can-go-back

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Not sure what our synchro team is doing, but I've definitely seen partnering. We just have entry limits for each session (and the full ones are still too crowded for me and my lousy vision).

Only God knows when or how the pandemic will end. Might as well keep your skills in shape!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Where I am, the biggest effect social distancing has had on skating is on the learn to skate. We basically can't run any CanSkate programs because of the restrictions on the number of skaters on the ice. Syncro has been running, but they're not allowed to touch and must maintain distance on the ice. They are also limited to 9 skaters, although our regulations just upped the number of people in an indoor space to 50, so that will probably apply to syncro as well. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on ice dance. The inability to run CanSkate is a huge problem through. My club isn't able to open until that's an option because we're a rec club and most of our members will/cannot pay inflated prices to make up for the revenue lost from the CanSkate program.

Vicki7

On the Ice
In the UK, British Ice Skating has said that when the rinks open again, skaters absolutely cannot do work in hold unless it's a dance/pairs team that lives in the same household.

That's if we ever get open again - we were due back yesterday, Friday lunchtime the government states they can't open for another 2 weeks.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In the UK, British Ice Skating has said that when the rinks open again, skaters absolutely cannot do work in hold unless it's a dance/pairs team that lives in the same household.

That's if we ever get open again - we were due back yesterday, Friday lunchtime the government states they can't open for another 2 weeks.

When the rinks opened in Canada, dance/pairs teams couldn't work in hold EVEN IF THEY DID LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD. This has since been relaxed (for everyone). The problem with making exceptions for people who live in the same household is that it can be hard to enforce, and may be seen as unfair.