Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree there's no doubt that the most beautiful skater in the world and the best this last season with almost a perfect debut season is secondary to the quad queen...

Wait! Wait! Isn't Anna Shcherbakova the most beautiful skater in the world?

Amei

Record Breaker
It's hard to predict how back injuries will impact a skater's career. They have ended the careers of many, but others have come back strong. Sasha Cohen had some serious issues that caused her to miss 2001 Nationals but came back to win several World and Olympic medals.

Completely different technical eras, 2006 Olympics was won without a triple-triple combination, that skating nowadays likely wouldn't make it to the top 15 in Worlds. This year to win a gold medal at any of the main events, GP/4cc/Euros, you had to have multiple triple axels or quads.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I agree there's no doubt that the most beautiful skater in the world and the best this last season with almost a perfect debut season is secondary to the quad queen. Aliona wanted to leave so now she has to deal with it.

I heard aliona is already injured training at her new rink. Sad.

Kiselev is the man! Interesting. But what happened has happened I only wish the girls good health and success. I said the last part. ;)
Ok full stop it was already a rumor for a few months that alyona may have some injury, so no i doubt it has anything to do with her new training.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Completely different technical eras, 2006 Olympics was won without a triple-triple combination, that skating nowadays likely wouldn't make it to the top 15 in Worlds. This year to win a gold medal at any of the main events, GP/4cc/Euros, you had to have multiple triple axels or quads.

There were events you could not have won without those in the past: 1989 Worlds, 1991 US Nationals, etc. And then there were events much later with a far lower technical standard, like 2012 Worlds. The technical level won't necessarily be as high or higher this season, especially given that everyone has had their training interrupted for months.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Ok full stop it was already a rumor for a few months that alyona may have some injury, so no i doubt it has anything to do with her new training.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Rumors are rumors. Aliona was almost perfect last season she skated great and was not injured. Let's see her do that again this season in her new surroundings. If she has another great season the figure skating world will benefit the most.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice

That was the fluke Olympics where none of the ladies that medaled landed 3/3’s. 1998, 2002, 2006, (and so on) all had at least one 3/3 landed be the top 3. Mao Asada landed the 3Axel in 2010.

The co- favorites in 2006 made mistakes, and Shizuka knew she didn’t need the 3/3 to win.

readernick

Medalist
I would say that Eteri is usually nasty, not cruel. Being cruel imo is saying that your student who just left has a mental illness and making another end in hospital.
I don't think Eteri is kind, it isn't her job to be kind. Not the job of coaches who smile in front of cameras but yell in training either. It isn't their job. Their jobs is to get results and they make choices to get results. They protect their results so try to protect the skaters.

I think it is cruel to say unkind things about a teenager to the media. The importance of mental health is often ignored but child athletes who are more permanently scarred are often mentally scarred not just physically scarred. And, I strongly disagree with your statement that a coach doesn’t need to be kind. They don’t need to be nice, but kindness implies a genuine care and respect for others and those in your care. Any adult working with children should be kind.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I heard aliona is already injured training at her new rink. Sad.
Rumors are rumors. Aliona was almost perfect last season she skated great and was not injured. Let's see her do that again this season in her new surroundings. If she has another great season the figure skating world will benefit the most.

Scott512, you yourself raised the rumour that she is injured. :shrug: Why then categorically dismiss it as false once people elaborated that the alleged injury would have been sustained while she was training with Tutberidze, not Plushenko? I don't have a strong opinion on this coaching furore, but facts matter.

The injury rumour is just a rumour (as you and fabienne1996 both said) - claiming with certainty that it is true (or untrue) is misleading (and in itself an untrue assertion). To be clear, it's not misleading to discuss rumours as long as it's clear that they are not certain.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I think it would be wrong for her! Russia has the most talented and hardworking little girls.

This is also debatable. I recall an interview with Eteri (before she was this successful) where she said the American skaters took their training more seriously. She said that when she coached in the states, all the skaters knew how expensive coach and ice time were and the sacrifices their parents made, so they used all their time productively. She also said that in Russia under the state funded system, many skaters would "waste" time because they didn't have to pay as much for it, or something like that.

Or course things may be different now as the ladies field has become so competitive internally.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
To flanker I believe. ,) Aliona to moi.

To Flanker the most beautiful is Alina :biggrin:

Though of course this is not an easy question, because there are also ice dancers Sinitsina and Stepanova ;)

Edit: I should add, that of course Anna is beautiful to me as well, I just perceive her more like a daughter I always wanted to have than like a woman :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think it is cruel to say unkind things about a teenager to the media. The importance of mental health is often ignored but child athletes who are more permanently scarred are often mentally scarred not just physically scarred. And, I strongly disagree with your statement that a coach doesn’t need to be kind. They don’t need to be nice, but kindness implies a genuine care and respect for others and those in your care. Any adult working with children should be kind.
I think we understand cruelty and kindness differently. That's ok.

Even if she doesn't have the 3A, Alena should beat anyone else that doesn't have the 3A or quads (or possibly Alina if she regains her previous form).
Depends of the program.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight

Though of course this is not an easy question, because there are also ice dancers Sinitsina and Stepanova ;)

Edit: I should add, that of course Anna is beautiful to me as well, I just perceive her more like a daughter I always wanted to have than like a woman :)

I have to finally agree with you - I also perceive Anna as a daughter or as a little sister I would like to have. She’s the cutest. If I ever have a a daughter, I hope she is like Anna - modest, polite, motivated, hardworking, loving. But I would also like to add a little bit of Aliona’s sense of humour and rebellion and Sasha’s stubbornness.

Just to make it clear - I’m not hating on any of the other girls saying I perveive Anna as the daughter I would like to have. I would be lucky to have a daughter with 1% of the good things the 3 girls have. They are all lovely.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all of us sometimes wear rose-coloured glasses....
Truth.

In her last comments about EG Aliona said she is kind. But it wasn't kind of EG to say what she said when Aliona shocked the world and left well after the transfer period. But the coach was saying that the pupil went to the training camp for a long time and got new programs and then left is factual. Look Aliona and Sasha's parents were dying to get their baby girls to Eteri so she could get them to become elite the way she did Yulia and Zhenya. That certainly happened over a period of three or four years. Both sides used each other become great skaters and a great coach and it worked for both sides. Then the girls left after they became incredible. That is sports and that is life.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Scott512, you yourself raised the rumour that she is injured. :shrug: Why then categorically dismiss it as false once people elaborated that the alleged injury would have been sustained while she was training with Tutberidze, not Plushenko? I don't have a strong opinion on this coaching furore, but facts matter.

The injury rumour is just a rumour (as you and fabienne1996 both said) - claiming with certainty that it is true (or untrue) is misleading (and in itself an untrue assertion). To be clear, it's not misleading to discuss rumours as long as it's clear that they are not certain.
Oh no FF I didn't raise the rumour of Aliona being injured. I read that in a few different posts in this thread and reported on that. I hope that's not true as I enjoy watching this girl skate as a senior more than anyone since Sasha Cohen.

Also I don't doubt that figure skaters have some level of pain every day of their lives. Its possible she was injured at the training camp. But I'm pretty sure if such a great skater as Aliona suffered an injury we would have heard about it. That's neither here nor there and I hope she's healthy.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Well then I stand corrected.
I think we understand cruelty and kindness differently. That's ok.

Depends of the program.

Agreed.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
That wasn't the point of my post and the fact that her behavior when her skaters leave is always pointed to justify any (negative) opinion about her is telling.

I was pointing the inconsistency of the thoughts of some fans and the oddity of the idea that coaches should let skaters do everything they want.

I would say that Eteri is usually nasty, not cruel. Being cruel imo is saying that your student who just left has a mental illness and making another end in hospital.
I don't think Eteri is kind, it isn't her job to be kind. Not the job of coaches who smile in front of cameras but yell in training either. It isn't their job. Their jobs is to get results and they make choices to get results. They protect their results so try to protect the skaters.
The fact that Trusova never got heavily injured while many were predicting (almost wishing) that she will get career ending injury must be surprising.

It's called professional code of conduct, esp with underaged students.
If Eteri is coaching my country's athletes, there will huge backlash of her remarks towards an underaged athlete for leaving her. Not just one, but dragging in those who left years ago like Yulia.
As in she does not have the EQ to conduct herself professionally as a coach.

The Sports Minister would then remove her as a coach & send Eteri back to Russia. That is how seriously a coach's professional conduct is viewed.

readernick

Medalist
If Eteri is coaching my country's athletes, there will huge backlash of her remarks towards an underaged athlete for leaving her. Not just one, but dragging in those who left years ago like Yulia.
As in she does not have the EQ to conduct herself professionally as a coach.

The Sports Minister would then remove her as a coach & send Eteri back to Russia. That is how seriously a coach's professional conduct is viewed.

Agree, and if the government of Malaysia would take such action I applaud them, but the toxic culture of coaching juveniles in sports is not limited to Russia. We see examples of coaches not showing basic respect to their students worldwide. The culture had been revealed to be widespread in China, certain coaches in Japan are known,as Yume mentioned, to smile for the camera and scream/ pull skaters' hair behind closed doors, the French federation is currently reviewing the terrible culture of abuse in figure skating. Gymnastic coaches all over the world have been shown to be abusive toward their students. My comments really were not just directed toward Eteri but toward juvenile coaching worldwide. I don't think results trump basic respect and humanity.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

What is your country?
I'm genuinely interested by this country which can fire a coach for what Eteri said. Imo, none of the things she said deserve that treatment. I don't think sublty calling someone ungrateful or saying that he had bad behavior with teammates should get you fired. That was said with the purpose of making those skaters look bad sure, but it isn't that harmful for their physical or moral integrity imo.

I mean, if she had called them whores or said that she would beat them severely i would have understood. For the record Rusfed hired someone who said that about their olympic champion. Apparently they don't see the problem with such extreme words. So Eteri's words must be like honey for them.
I think almost every Russian coach deserve to be fired in your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.