2020-21 Coaching Changes | Golden Skate

2020-21 Coaching Changes

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I couldn't find a thread for these for 20/21 season, so I am starting one because I find it hard to keep track. So far I have only a few skaters, please post any changes I forgot to list.

Skaters who will be starting the season under new coaches as opposed to 2019/20:

Ladies:
Evgenia Medvedeva - from Brian Orser to Eteri Tutberidze
Alena Kostornaya - from Eteri Tutberidze to Evgeni Plushenko, then back to Tutberidze
Alexandra Trusova - from Eteri Tutberidze to Evgeni Plushenko
Rika Kihira - moved to Stephane Lambiel, although Mie Hamada is also still listed
Satoko Miyahara - only Lee Barkell now. Mie Hamada is not listed anymore
Alysa Liu - from Laura Lipetsky to Lee Barkell
Stanislava Konstantinova - from Valentina Chebotareva to Alexander Volkov
Alexia Paganini - from Igor Krokavec(?) to Stephane Lambiel
Bradie Tennell - from Denise Myers and Jeremy Allen to Tom Zakrajsek
Anastasia Tarakanova - to Ksenia Ivanova & Adian Pitkeev
Ting Cui - from Tom Zakrajsek(?) to Natalya Linichuk
Ekaterina Ryabova - from Evgeni Plushenko to her parents

Men:
Mikhail Kolyada - from Valentina Chebotareva to Aleksei Mishin
Boyang Jin - Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson are now among his coaches
Matteo Rizzo - from Franca Bianconi to Lorenzo Magri
Adam Siao Him Fa - from Brian Joubert to Laurent Depouilly
Mitsuki Sumoto - from Yasunori Onishi to Takeshi Honda
Sota Yamamoto - from Yoriko Naruse/Miho Kawaume to Yusuke Hayashi, then to Yasunori Onishi, then... unknown yet...

Ice Dance:
Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko - from Igor Shpilband/Pasquale Camerlengo to Scott Moir
Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus - from Gadbois to Carol Lane
Allison Reed/Saulius Ambrulevicius - from Marina Zueva to Montreal Academy

Pairs:
Anastasiia Mishina/Alexander Galliamov - from Ludmila Velikova, Vasili Velikov and Nikolai Velikov to Tamara Moskvina and Artur Minchuk

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I read somewhere Adam Siao Him Fa left Brian Joubert.. I don't know this is true or not.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the new names, everyone! Opening post updated.

One request for future posts if I may - if it's not too much trouble, please post new coaching transfers including the full name of the coach the skater switches from, and the one they switch to. Especially when the coaches are not widely known. With some skaters, I had trouble finding this info even in a fanfest.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The coaching team of Olga Ganicheva and Aleksey Letov is moving to Skating Club of Boston, where they will be the new High Performance Directors.

(Using this thread to post this different type of "coaching change." ;))

G and L are the subject of a four-page article in the new Summer 2020 issue of SCOB's newsletter.

Without naming names, the article says that (some) skaters who have been training with Ganicheva and Letov in the Dallas area will be joining them at SCOB.

... They will be joined in Norwood by nine Team USA athletes, including two pairs teams ...

... Now under new management, the arena that they
[G and L] called home for more than fifteen years has changed course with regard to figure-skating programs, leaving Olga, Aleksey, and their team without ice ...

(I recall that Lu/Mitrofanov in a Nov 2019 interview alluded to a possible move by their coaches G and L.
At the time, L/M said that they planned to follow their coaches wherever G and L ended up relocating.)

Weathergal

Medalist
The coaching team of Olga Ganicheva and Aleksey Letov is moving to Skating Club of Boston, where they will be the new High Performance Directors.

(Using this thread to post this different type of "coaching change." ;))

G and L are the subject of a four-page article in the new Summer 2020 issue of SCOB's newsletter.

Without naming names, the article says that (some) skaters who have been training with Ganicheva and Letov in the Dallas area will be joining them at SCOB.

... They will be joined in Norwood by nine Team USA athletes, including two pairs teams ...

... Now under new management, the arena that they
[G and L] called home for more than fifteen years has changed course with regard to figure-skating programs, leaving Olga, Aleksey, and their team without ice ...

(I recall that Lu/Mitrofanov in a Nov 2019 interview alluded to a possible move by their coaches G and L.
At the time, L/M said that they planned to follow their coaches wherever G and L ended up relocating.)

I wonder if Alexei Krasnozhon and Hanna Harrell, who also.train with Letov, will move as well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if Alexei Krasnozhon and Hanna Harrell, who also.train with Letov, will move as well.

Quite a few of G and L's skaters are listed among new members of SCOB -- in the same newsletter, but on a much later page (which I saw only after my previous post about the G & L article).

Lu, Mitrofanov, Chan, Howe, Harrell, Ashley Lin, Krasnozhon, Emilie Mao are on the list of new members.

Weathergal

Medalist
Quite a few of G and L's skaters are listed among new members of SCOB -- in the same newsletter, but on a much later page (which I saw only after my previous post about the G & L article).

Lu, Mitrofanov, Chan, Howe, Harrell, Ashley Lin, Krasnozhon, Emilie Mao are on the list of new members.
:thank:

surimi

Record Breaker
Right, I updated the OP. I listed Rika K and Satoko as well.
Who could Matteo be switching to, I wonder?
I see that my own favorite, Sota, is the coaching change record holder for this year, unless someone else switches and re-switches by the end of the year.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
How about pairs skaters?
Anastasia Mishina / Aleksandr Galliamov from Ludmila, Nikolay and Vasily Velikovs to Tamara Moskvina and Artur Minchuk.

surimi

Record Breaker
I will be happy to update the OP, but can you be more specific please? I don't follow pairs enough to know who Ludmila is, who Mishina/Galiamov went to, and who the Velikovs brothers(?) left.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I will be happy to update the OP, but can you be more specific please? I don't follow pairs enough to know who Ludmila is, who Mishina/Galiamov went to, and who the Velikovs brothers(?) left.
Former coaches of Mishina/Galliamov: Ludmila Velikova, Vasili Velikov, Nikolai Velikov
Current coaches of Mishina/Galliamov: Tamara Moskvina, Artur Minchuk.

Is that understandable?

surimi

Record Breaker
Ah I see, sorry about the misunderstanding. Seems I can't read :laugh:

hanca

Record Breaker
Velikovā€™s brothers! Thatā€™s hilarious! It is grandfather (Nikolai) and grandmother (Ludmila) with their grandson (Vasilii), not brothers.

surimi

Record Breaker
Velikovā€™s brothers! Thatā€™s hilarious! It is grandfather (Nikolai) and grandmother (Ludmila) with their grandson (Vasilii), not brothers.
As I said, I misread the poster's sentence. For some reason I saw a full stop after 'Ludmila' instead of a comma, and thought the two guys were another transferring couple of skaters. I am not too familiar with Russian coaches :shrug:

hanca

Record Breaker
As I said, I misread the poster's sentence. For some reason I saw a full stop after 'Ludmila' instead of a comma, and thought the two guys were another transferring couple of skaters. I am not too familiar with Russian coaches :shrug:
I am sorry, I shouldnā€™t laugh. It was just too funny. I am sure Nikolai would be happy to be considered Vasiliiā€™s brother, I am just not sure whether Vasilii would consider it to be a compliment. There is about 50 years age difference between them after all.