Summer 2020 US Competitions | Golden Skate

Summer 2020 US Competitions

haribobo

On the Ice
From what I gather, these are the competitions that are still happening or have not yet been cancelled? I am sure I am missing some but I wanted to get a list going...

Cup of Colorado - Aug 14-16
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=21

Golden West- Sep 4-6
http://allyearfsc.com/2020-golden-west-championships/

Here are the recent results from Skate Shakopee which seems to be the first in-person competition of the season.
https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29627/index.html

So far we have the June 2020 scores from this brilliant Cyber Series, hopefully July comes soon.
https://www.colonialfsc.com/colonialcyberseries

haribobo

On the Ice
Cup of Colorado roster that I found so far-

SENIOR PAIRS- Labazina/Nyman, Burden/Rounis, Crafoord/Crafoord, Deardorff/Johnson, McIsaac/Sadusky
SENIOR MEN- Camden Pulkinen, Tomoki Hiwatashi
SENIOR LADIES- Pooja Kalyan, Paige Rydberg, Sierra Venetta, Julia Fennell, Angelina Huang, Mandy Chiang
JUNIOR LADIES- Maryn Pierce
JUNIOR MEN- Joseph Klein, Daniel Tioumentsov

ice coverage

Record Breaker

JUNIOR MEN- Jacob Klein, Daniel Tioumentsov

Is it possible that the correct name is Joe Klein :luv17:, not Jacob?

(Joe does train in Colorado on a part-time basis.)

Anyway, thanks for the thread :thank: and for the Cup of Colorado :popcorn: entries.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

SENIOR PAIRS- Labazina/Nyman, Burden/Rounis, Crafoord/Crafoord, Deardorff/Johnson, McIsaac/Sadusky
SENIOR MEN- Camden Pulkinen, Tomoki Hiwatashi
SENIOR LADIES- Pooja Kalyan, Paige Rydberg, Sierra Venetta, Julia Fennell, Angelina Huang, Mandy Chiang
JUNIOR LADIES- Maryn Pierce
JUNIOR MEN- Joseph Klein, Daniel Tioumentsov

Will there be a livestream? Please :pray:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Update as of Aug 7:

Golden West has been postponed to Dec 11-13.​

ETA (on Aug 14):
I have deleted a now-obsolete link for Cup of Colorado starting orders/results. Updated links are in my new post below from today.

Will there be a livestream? Please :pray:

Cup of Colorado historically has not had a livestream (at least for the past several years when the competition has been on my radar).

That said, 2020 overall is a highly unusual year, so who knows?
I would be very surprised if a livestream were available this year, but I cannot definitively rule it out.

ETA (on Aug 11)

:hap85: Happy to be pleasantly surprised that Cup of Colorado now has added *links for livestreaming*.

Hat tip to Sylvia for the update.​

Skate Wilmington is scheduled for Sep 1 - 6.

Still happening, AFAIK.
On Aug 4, the club posted a reminder on Facebook about that day being the registration deadline.

haribobo

On the Ice
Hershey Open starting today has a live stream from their facebook, linked from here

https://www.hersheyfigureskating.org/hersheyopen

Hershey schedule (Eastern)
Thursday
Novice Ladies SP - 4:23pm-5:54pm
Novice Men SP- 5:54-6:01
Senior Ladies SP- 6:29-6:53
Junior Ladies SP- 6:53-7:59
Junior Men SP- 7:59-8:09

Friday
Junior Ladies 11:54a-12:44pm
Junior Men 12:44-12:50pm

Saturday
Novice Ladies 8:47am-9:30 and 9:35 to 10:18am
Novice Men 9:30-9:35am
Senior Ladies 12:21-12:57pm

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Among the Resources for Cup of Colorado, which starts today:

Results page (where starting orders now can be seen):

(The Starting Order page is less convenient, IMO. It links to Google Drive, which has links to individual PDFs.
But for those who want names of judges and officials for each segment, they are included in the starting order PDFs.​

My previous post had a now-obsolete link, which I will delete.)​

For viewers of streaming, I think the most convenient way to quickly see the Schedule is via haribobo's Entryeeze link.

IJS competition segments (as well as some of the other segments) are scheduled for the Hamilton rink.

The Resources page also has other ways to see the schedule.​

Repeating the page with Livestream links:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Is anyone else having issues with the stream from Cup of Colorado? I am hoping to be able to watch the senior ladies and men tonight but this stream is barely functioning for me.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Interesting that USFSA has apparently decided to use the “q” call that was introduced and then rolled back by the ISU this summer, but not the other changes.

gkelly

Record Breaker
ISU Communication 2254, in which the "q" call was first introduced, was indeed canceled, but it has been replaced by a new SINGLE & PAIR SKATINGLevels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking Grade of Execution, season 2020/21 document ISU Communication 2334.

As per ISU Communication No 2332 “Decisions of the Council” the ISU Council decided to suspend the ISU Communications 2323 (Single & Pair Skating Scale of Values season 2020/21) and ISU Communication 2324 (Single & Pair Skating Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for making Grade of Execution and Program Components Season 2020/21).

In the meantime, the Council and the Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee have evaluated the need for an update of the above-mentioned Communications and the Council decided that

ISU Communication 2323 is definitely cancelled and consequently ISU Communication 2253 remains in full force for the season 2020/21.

ISU Communication 2324 is definitely cancelled.

ISU Communication 2254 is herewith replaced by this new Communication 2334

The replacement document Communication 2334, also includes the new q sign:
JUMPS Underrotated (<): Missing rotation of more than a quarter revolution but less than half a revolution. GOE reduction -2 to -3.Landed on the quarter (q): Technical panel will indicate this with a sign “q”. GOE reduction -2.

and
Downgraded (sign << )-3 to -4
Under-rotated (sign < )-2 to -3
Landed on the quarter (sign q)-2
Less than quarter missing(no sign)-1

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New autumn dates for Glacier Falls:

Event Dates:
October 30 – November 1, 2020

Entry Deadline
October 4, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)

"Due to restrictions related to Covid -19, spectators will be limited. ...
The entire event will be live streamed at no cost."

http://glacierfalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-GlacierFalls-Announcement-October-2020.pdf

"2020 Virtual Challenge Skate," Sep 16-17, is on the USFS calendar. :popcorn:

ETA (on Aug 19):
USFS calendar has added a notation of "by invitation only."​

My guess is that it will be a virtual edition of U.S. Challenge Skate (USFS junior/novice domestic competition), which in past years has been held in conjunction with U.S. International Classic (the Challenger event).

(U.S. Classic is not happening at all this year.)​

ETA (on Aug 24):

Cancellations:

Skate Wilmington

Wagon Wheel Figure Skating Club's Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational (scheduled for Sep 11-13) was cancelled on Aug 20.

PSC&HS Challenge Cup (scheduled for Sep 17-20)​

But ... Centennial Skating Club's Colorado Springs Invitational (in Monument, scheduled for Sep 10-13) seems to still be happening. :)

Entryeeze page has a link to the schedule.

(And indicates that the announcement was updated on Aug 22.)

Live scoring link: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29382/index.html

And BTW, "Due to COVID-19, CSI will be live streamed to allow for viewing of the event from personal devices."​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For fans of Aerial Figure Skating Challenge, two separate things are coming up.

(1) On Sat Aug 29, World Arena's in-house version for skaters who train there.

It will be shown live from 1:00 - 2:30 pm MT on @coachtomz's Instagram.
(Hat tip to apgold who posted an alert on Tuesday in the fan thread for Josh Farris.)

Guest judges: Josh, Max Aaron, Mirai Nagasu (with their names on the signage that I believe was created by Max Settlage, BTW).

Skaters of many levels (senior down to at least pre-juvenile) will participate in this in-house version of Aerial Challenge.
Per today's Instastory from Tom Z, the senior entries: Tomoki, Vincent, Pooja, Maryn Pierce, Paige Rydberg, Bradie, Sierra Venetta. (Only one junior skater: Avril Phillips.)

TZ also is encouraging other rinks/clubs to (safely) hold their own in-house versions of Aerial Challenge.​

(2) Plus a virtual edition of Aerial Challenge will be announced "soon" (to be held at later dates TBA).

"... It will be offered for ALL levels from PrePre through Senior including Adults and Collegiate as well as skaters in the Ice Skating Institute family. Just as in 2015 and 2017 a back flip event will be held.

If you are not yet back on the ice don’t worry because a dryland version of the event will be offered, too! And this includes all the skaters who can do backflips off the ice :)

... I have partnered with a major sponsor (soon to be announced) and the Sharp4sports.com platform to bring the event to you through a weekly “show” which will feature the five best jumpers at every level judged by celebrity skaters. And did I forget to mention there will be medals and prizes? YASS! ..."

ETA (on Sep 3):

Full details of the Virtual Aerial Figure Skating Challenge were announced on Aug 31.

I think(?) the idea is that the weekly (online) "viewing parties" will be accessible to the public.

The final week is for the category of Elite Int'l Athletes:
In the live viewing party on November 13th, the top 10 best scores from the semi-final round will advance to the final round and the top 5 best scores from the final round will advance to the Championship round.

On Nov 6 (the penultimate Friday), the categories for viewing parties are Senior, Collegiate, and Backflip Challenge.

The weekly viewing parties start on Fri Oct 9 for Pre-Preliminary and Preliminary.

[:luv17: Max Aaron and Josh Farris :luv17: once again will be among the "celebrity" judges.]​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISP Points Challenge -- USFS virtual competition -- is coming up soon.

More information will be available next week, per today's Fan Zone article re Green/Parsons.

ETA:
Tamnhi Huynh's Instastory says she just finished the ISP Points Challenge, and shows her triple lutz from her FS.​

ETA (on Sep 7):
Lest anyone wonder: 2020 Virtual Challenge Skate (for Junior/Novice), which was mentioned in a previous post, is something different from 2020 ISP Points Challenge (for Senior/Junior). They are two separate USFS virtual competitions.​

... Centennial Skating Club's Colorado Springs Invitational ...

Entryeeze page has a link to the schedule. ...

Live scoring link: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29382/index.html

And BTW, "Due to COVID-19, CSI will be live streamed to allow for viewing of the event from personal devices."​

Vimeo live streaming links for Colorado Springs Invitational (Sep 10 - 13) now have been added to the Entryeeze page. :popcorn:

crzesk8dad

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Glacier Falls Summer Classic, once rescheduled, has been cancelled due to the California regulations regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. The USFS entries website shows it as cancelled.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some positive news from the east coast:

Because of "overwhelming interest in the 2020 Boston Open, the competition will be extended an additional day to accommodate all registered competitors."​
IJS segments will go forward on Sep 24 - 27, and non-IJS segments (ETA: also Excel, Adult, etc.) now have been moved to Oct 10.​
The numbers (as of Sep 17) on this year's IJS schedule show the interest this year: For example, Senior Ladies SP has 12 entries (compared to 2 competitors in 2019).​
Link to Results page:​

(It does not have starting orders yet.)​
(FYI: "Due to music copyright restrictions, there will be no sound during the livestream."​
The livestream will be on the Facebook page of the vendor.)​
Skating Club of Boston's beautiful new facility in Norwood is the venue. 🥰
Good luck to all the competitors. 💪

Glacier Falls Summer Classic, once rescheduled, has been cancelled due to the California regulations regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. The USFS entries website shows it as cancelled.

Thanks to crzesk8dad for the update.

No question that it is important for safety to come first.
But I am sorry to hear about the cancellation. 😢

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some positive news from the east coast:

Because of "overwhelming interest in the 2020 Boston Open, the competition will be extended an additional day to accommodate all registered competitors."​
IJS segments will go forward on Sep 24 - 27, and non-IJS segments now have been moved to Oct 10.​
The numbers (as of Sep 17) on this year's IJS schedule show the interest this year: For example, Senior Ladies SP has 12 entries (compared to 2 competitors in 2019).​
Link to Results page:​

(It does not have starting orders yet.)​
(FYI: "Due to music copyright restrictions, there will be no sound during the livestream."​
The livestream will be on the Facebook page of the vendor.)​
Skating Club of Boston's beautiful new facility in Norwood is the venue. 🥰
Good luck to all the competitors. 💪

Thanks to crzesk8dad for the update.

No question that it is important for safety to come first.
But I am sorry to hear about the cancellation. 😢
I can't wait to see the new sporting club in Norwood. It would be nice if a JGP could be held there in the future.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Update as of Aug 7:

Golden West has been postponed to Dec 11-13.​

On Nov 17, All Year FSC announced cancellation of Golden West Championships.

It also said:

... Even though the competition, at Great Park Ice, is being cancelled, All Year FSC is excited to announce that we have been working on a reimagined opportunity for many of the skaters who have continued to work and train, so hard, during these very difficult times. We will be launching the Golden West Round Up and evaluation. We are working on a combination of providing in-person presentations and evaluations, as well as creating a virtual event that will also provide opportunity for an evaluation and a feedback from Tech Panel and Judging members. ...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USFS has cancelled 2021 National Qualifying Series, per announcement today.

... Although the 2021 NQS is canceled, each local competition host is encouraged to evaluate the feasibility of their own competition with an emphasis on local athletes, coaches and officials participating .... Each competition will make its own decision to move ahead with its non-qualifying event. ....

Information regarding the 2022 U.S. Figure Skating Qualifying Season will be announced no later than April 1.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI re 2021 U.S. Collegiates, per today's USFS press release:

The 2021 U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships will be held in conjunction with the Philadelphia Summer Championships hosted by IceWorks SC.

Additional information including registration details will be announced in May.

Aston, Pennsylvania | July 26 to Aug. 1, 2021

Off topic for this thread, but as USFS promised in March, today's press release also has information about USFS qualifying season -- which I have posted in the Championship Series thread.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI re 2021 U.S. Collegiates, per today's USFS press release:

The 2021 U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships will be held in conjunction with the Philadelphia Summer Championships hosted by IceWorks SC.​
Additional information including registration details will be announced in May.​
Aston, Pennsylvania | July 26 to Aug. 1, 2021​

Off topic for this thread, but as USFS promised in March, today's press release also has information about USFS qualifying season -- which I have posted in the Championship Series thread.
Yay!!!!!!! I’m so danged excited y’all just do not know.

Last edited: