2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I am very pleased and happy! All sports has started and why shouldnt figure skating? All you, who wishing that isu will cancel all events, think for athletes...they have been working hard for years and if isu will cancel all it will kill the motivation of this generation. For what they should train? And all you who is thinking that there shouldnt be competition before vaccine then you should know that it takes time at least 3-4 years at least all the world will get it...so it is not reasonable to stop living for next 4 years. We should learn to cope with this virus and start live with new sircumstanses! I belive all athletes are happy about this news! They will have season and reason...yippikajee!!!!

Is the risk of getting covid and ending up with damaged lungs and heart really worth it for an athlete?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gosh, I didn’t expect that. But by the sound of it, it is going to be sort of like grouping the skaters that are already living/training in the same country, more like nationals that are opened up to international skaters with minimal travel. Still, their stress level must be through the roof, poor folks.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, we still are though. i don't know what the current US international travel restrictions are, but i pay pretty close attention to air travel/plane tracking, and there are MANY international passenger flights coming into major airports all over the country.

same in canada... flights are happening but the borders are closed. One can travel to be reunited with immediate family, for important business matters, for education granted they have a visa, supplies are still shipped in ... etc... but borders are closed for leisure and tourism.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder why... * looking at protests in the middle of a pandemic* .....

Anyway, we can't hide forever. Other sport events moved on, people go on vacation, to work, kids go to school. Only your immune system is going to protect you from viruses, waiting for a vaccine is a waste of time.

i don't think you can tell that to athletes who need to be more than 100% healthy to compete... lungs are often damaged even with mild corona and nobody really knows if the healing process will grant full recovery...

and you can't also tell that to many of the fans, elderly people, who are at risk...

finally, almost every single time i have been at a skating event, i got a cold/flu... sitting down in a closed area with many people for hours is exactly how you can get the virus. The last time it happened to me, short track speed skating 4 continents in January... got bronchitis from my weekend at the rink... who knows.. maybe it was something else

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Guys, in Europe we can travel to many countries freely. For example I was in Sweden and I will go to Netherlands in next week. My daughter was on holiday in Croatia and my other daughter will go to Mallorca. We can travel just must check the country and must know our goverment's regulations toward the destinations. Yesterday evening I have seen many tourists in Budapest. They weren't so many as usually but they were there. I can imagine competitions without crowd.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding is that they meant skaters already in a country?

So Jason could go to events in Canada, for example. I am of course all for that:agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
all events in canada have been cancelled until the end of August. We will see if that is prolonged in September. Autumn classic already shows as postponed.

There are many athletes from abroad in all disciplines who train in Montreal and Toronto. It could be possible but it would definitely have to be without an audience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Guys, in Europe we can travel to many countries freely. For example I was in Sweden and I will go to Netherlands in next week. My doughter was on holiday in Croatia and my other daughter will go to Mallorca. We can travel just must check the country and must know our goverment's regulations toward the destinations. Yesterday evening I have seen many tourists in Budapest. They weren't so many as usually but they were there. I can imagine competitions without crowd.

canadians can also go to europe (we were put on the list of safer countries, not USA) but our gvt doesn't recommend it : travel insurance is not available for corona which is a deal breaker when doing a quarantine on the return is not bad enough to slow one down.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
all events in canada have been cancelled until the end of August. We will see if that is prolonged in September. Autumn classic already shows as postponed.

There are many athletes from abroad in all disciplines who train in Montreal and Toronto. It could be possible but it would definitely have to be without an audience.

Yes, can you imagine the Ice Dance comps in Canada:)

I'm fine with no audience too. I'm not someone who believes that the skating season must be replicated in every way, shape or form as "normal times" and I think the skaters would appreciate some kind of season. So far the bubble appears to be working for the NBA and the NHL <crossed fingers>. Skating can't afford that, so let's see what can be done safely.....

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
canadians can also go to europe (we were put on the list of safer countries, not USA) but our gvt doesn't recommend it : travel insurance is not available for corona which is a deal breaker when doing a quarantine on the return is not bad enough to slow one down.

I believe the total ban on travel is worse than a disciplined trip. Look at what happened in Berlin! Millions demonstrated against the strict rules. I believe the humanity must learn the life with COVID because the economic crises is going to make much more problems than the virus.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Is the risk of getting covid and ending up with damaged lungs and heart really worth it for an athlete?

By this logic, one could also argue (for example): Is doing quads and ending up with awful injury worth it for a skater?
Figure skaters are individuals who would risk a lot, and I mean A LOT, just to have a chance at some competitive success.
And the list of analogies could go on for skaters who not only risk getting bad injury, but also spend years and years, invest money, etc etc.
Especially taking into account how very short a career is in this sport and even one competition less can mean a last chance gone.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Its once in a lifetime chance at the Olympics for many of these athletes. Esp Summer Olympics cos its in 2021.

In our respective countries, we have already gone back to work months ago. Still risking getting Covid but.... If dont work, no food eat.

humbaba

Final Flight
Guys, in Europe we can travel to many countries freely.

Didn't the EU extend the travel ban for Russia about a month ago? If skaters from EU countries go to a competition in Russia, would they be allowed back into their home country?

Of course, much could change by autumn. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

icetug

Medalist
same in canada... flights are happening but the borders are closed. One can travel to be reunited with immediate family, for important business matters, for education granted they have a visa, supplies are still shipped in ... etc... but borders are closed for leisure and tourism.
On the other hand you can easily cross most of EU borders. There were international summer camps in Telf, Austria and Champery, Switzerland, with German and Italian skaters joining Swiss national team and non-Swiss residents in Champery (Deniss Vasiljevs and Koshiro Shimada) as well as Rika Kihira. They were training together in group of 20-30 people both on and off the ice. Many skaters (including Katia Kurakova) came to Courchever in France to get choreo from Benoit Richaud. There was even a show for the public in Champery (guests were asked to fulfill a questionnary and wear masks).
It's a matter of safety and all possible safety measures shall be taken, including transport to the rink and wardrobes dedicated to each team, smaller groups for practicing, regular test 14 days before and during the event, no fan meetings etc.
GP involves a limited group of athletes and the series shall show what is to be done to have safe championships.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Ironic they made this decision online. I don't see how holding competitions for people in one country is the same as a grand prix series. Did they make this decision with no actual idea of how to do it

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
By this logic, one could also argue (for example): Is doing quads and ending up with awful injury worth it for a skater?
Figure skaters are individuals who would risk a lot, and I mean A LOT, just to have a chance at some competitive success.
And the list of analogies could go on for skaters who not only risk getting bad injury, but also spend years and years, invest money, etc etc.
Especially taking into account how very short a career is in this sport and even one competition less can mean a last chance gone.

Yeah, but infectious diseases put PUBLIC in danger. You can't pass an injury through a cough and potentially kill your grandma because you trained a quad, yannow.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Didn't the EU extend the travel ban for Russia about a month ago? If skaters from EU countries go to a competition in Russia, would they be allowed back into their home country?

Of course, much could change by autumn. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

:thumbsup: And what is the figure skating without the Russians??? :cry:

GBs mom

Rinkside
It's not just the location of the athletes though, but also the judges. How can they ensure unbiased representation in judges with so many travel restrictions?

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Yeah, but infectious diseases put PUBLIC in danger. You can't pass an injury through a cough and potentially kill your grandma because you trained a quad, yannow.

That's why there will be (I assume) testing before and after competitions and quarantines for individuals if needed plus rigorous measures in place (like no audience, masks, etc). You put "public" in danger by going to work everyday as well. You even have people going on vacations these days...