2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Korean girls will probably be sent to China as their ladies field is not very strong.

Will it be worth it though if it includes 2-week quarantine periods both to China and back home?
The Korean girls seems to be the biggest losers in this GP layout.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What about the Grand Prix Final? Will it consist of the winners from each competition?

I don't think the athletes would be interested in competing in such a final. They will probably concentrate in preparaing for EC/4CC/Worlds.

I don't think that they care so much about the field.
History will just retain that they got in GPF and that they got a medal.

MintGreen

On the Ice
I think ZHU Yi will likely go to Canada for ladies competition as she trains with Brian Orser.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I belive that all european girls who has spots will participate in France. Like Paganini, Kiibus, Peltonen, Schott.

zounger

Medalist
I don't think that they care so much about the field.
History will just retain that they got in GPF and that they got a medal.

I think the event/competition that they preparing will not be qualified as GP/GPF. The winners will just be winners of something that was organized in autumn of 2020.

Personally uninteresting, probably will skip it.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
In Russia atm.

Also, Kurakova hasn't made it back to Canada yet, in Poland I think.
Did Zhou get back to Canada? The last pics I remember seeing of him were in the U.S.
I think Cha is still in Korea, and does anyone admit to knowing where Hanyu is?
As per Instagram on July 15 looks like vincent and young you are in Colorado https://instagram.com/wewearmaskscampaign?igshid=u74b65p17rhr

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Artemisa

Final Flight
I'm lost in most of the rules but I think:
_ for skaters who train in other countries.. they could skate in 2 GPs without a lot of trouble.. For example who trains with orser could go to canada and then go to there home country and continue the practice there like medvedeva (or even usa .. probably rules will losen to USA-Canada)
_ The worst will be Russia GP because will be very difficult for them to go to canada or usa or even japan .. so they will loose a lot of spots
_ The best maybe USA and is normally closer to canada .. canada I think has more foreign skaters than usa ..
_ It will depend on the rules of the country .. and I think we won't see usa skater's in russia or the opposite
_ Skaters from usa, china or russia will have her life very difficult to enter other countries
_ I think japan will be the most severe in letting skaters enter ... so if someone in pairs or in dance could enter will be an easy road ...
_ France will be the easy entry

I think would be better:
_ they create a little championship with all skaters in one place ... two or 3 competitions .. so that every skater has the same opportunities
_ or his year choosing places that don't have skaters ...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
not true. USA is not letting people in and it has the most cases worldwide.

Actually, sadly, the US is still letting people in. They weren't for a short period but opened it again, and that is one reason why it won't GTFAway in that country, among many other reasons.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The participation in each individual ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event would be limited to

Competitors and Officials of the host country and
Competitors regularly training in the respective host country and
Competitors from other ISU Members who will be assigned to a Grand Prix of Figure Skating event in the respective geographical area, always subject to the applicable travel, entry and sanitary restrictions of the concerned countries.

This means that the Grand Prix events will be turned into open national championships for this season, mostly involving athletes who live in the countries where the stages will be held. All Russian skaters may only participate in the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, except for Evgenia Medvedeva who is training in Canada. Medvedeva can compete at the Canadian Grand Prix. Skaters are also restricted to just one GP event which is close to home. I guess this is a great idea to get around travel restrictions, by which athletes cannot go to certain countries.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Will it be worth it though if it includes 2-week quarantine periods both to China and back home?
The Korean girls seems to be the biggest losers in this GP layout.

Errr, not just the Korean girls... Austalians may not be the names that come first to mind, but they have a tiny field and given that they will have to pay for their quarantine... I doubt they'll be going anywhere :cry:

Evgenia is in Russia at the minute (and probably wishing she'd quietly stayed in Japan or Canada, I would be). I think Junhwan is still in Korea, and Shoma in Japan but he should be able to get to Switzerland if so. Rika is in Switzerland, presumably will make her way back to Japan - or maybe not, could she stay where she is, hire Stephane as temporary coach and compete in France first?

Yuzu... we think he's in Japan, but the few appearances he's made since January have been in front of the world's blankest whitest wall and there've been no hints even from the most rabid of press.

I imagine that most of not all of them either be restricted to one GP event or will decide to just have one rather than deal with a month in quarantine. Especially those who umm, have studies or other commitments. How that will translate into a GPF is anyone's guess, but I guess the ISU will fudge it.

icetug

Medalist
So we will probably have GPF with one Russian lady but with three Japanese ladies if Zhenya stays in Moscow, Satoko in Toronto and Rika in Champery :slink:

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
This means that the Grand Prix events will be turned into open national championships for this season, mostly involving athletes who live in the countries where the stages will be held. All Russian skaters may only participate in the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, except for Evgenia Medvedeva who is training in Canada. Medvedeva can compete at the Canadian Grand Prix. I guess this is a great idea to get around travel restrictions, by which athletes cannot go to certain countries.

Medvedeva is currently in Moscow, and unless something changes, won’t be able to get back into Canada anytime soon.

Tarasova/Morozov are in Florida and could very well/probably will end up at Skate America.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So we will probably have GPF with one Russian lady but with three Japanese ladies if Zhenya stays in Moscow, Satoko in Toronto and Rika in Champery :slink:

Oh, good, because the competition between the Russian ladies was so limpid. They totally need a new reason to spur them on. :eek::scratch2::palmf: Swim, Zhenya, swim if you have to.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Its once in a lifetime chance at the Olympics for many of these athletes. Esp Summer Olympics cos its in 2021.

In our respective countries, we have already gone back to work months ago. Still risking getting Covid but.... If dont work, no food eat.

i believe you are from denmark right? the issue with corona is that it spreads in very populated city... with just over 1.2 M habitants, Copenhagen is a tiny city compared to many others... and the next cities barely hit 200K people... in that sense, Denmark cannot be compared to some countries with big centres, where population is much denser.... for instance in Canada, the 4 provinces struggling the most with the virus all have denser cities, while the other provinces barely have seen any cases...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually, sadly, the US is still letting people in. They weren't for a short period but opened it again, and that is one reason why it won't GTFAway in that country, among many other reasons.

wow... well... our common border is closed...so they let enter other people?

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
In all cases, the skaters will have to contend with travel/quarantine restrictions. I imagine the ISU already has a pretty good idea of which skaters qualify for an entry & where they need to be assigned.

icybear

Medalist
Strange considering that European football Champions League is returning this week which means 2 group of people from 2 different country breathing and panting in each other within 0.5 metres of each other. But ISU grand prix is 2 months away plus skaters are usually more than 2 metres away from each other in practice or warm up.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not enough headdesk in the world.

Since they're going ahead with this omnishambles, though, I'll say that I can understand the rationale for no minimum TES eligibility from the events - as they're being run as domestic events, there won't be the required number of countries represented on the tech panels and judging panels to qualify them for that.

And I'll add that as they've stripped the barely-existent prize money out of the de-seriesed Challengers (along with World Standings points now apparently), I sincerely hope they do the same to the ex-GPs. The big names can skate 'for the experience' again and see how much they like it.

Nebelhorn and Finlandia (and possibly Inge Solar which is the most likely of the other Challengers to go on) are going to be flooded with skaters looking for the only chance at minimum TES at this rate, if they can scrape together the panel members to issue them.