2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I were on Zhenya's team, I'd be trying REALLY hard to get her back to Canada.

Given the latest Canadian news on borders staying closed, and the requirement for 2 weeks quarantine if she does get there, it may be too late if and when they do. Same with Junhwan and the others currently in non-GP countries, who are in a far worse spot. At least she has a GP to go to.

I couldn't see where the ISU actually mentioned the likelihood of live audiences. Even if they do decide to let people come, will enough actually take the risk of buying pricey tickets? Put it this way, even for my most loved skaters at 4CC - and that next year - would want it in writing - and triple official documentation - that full refunds would be given on cancellation or no way would I stump up.

:)think: ...Okay, maybe for three of them).

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Given the latest Canadian news on borders staying closed, and the requirement for 2 weeks quarantine if she does get there, it may be too late if and when they do. Same with Junhwan and the others currently in non-GP countries, who are in a far worse spot. At least she has a GP to go to.

I couldn't see where the ISU actually mentioned the likelihood of live audiences. Even if they do decide to let people come, will enough actually take the risk of buying pricey tickets? Put it this way, even for my most loved skaters at 4CC - and that next year - would want it in writing - and triple official documentation - that full refunds would be given on cancellation or no way would I stump up.

:)think: ...Okay, maybe for three of them).

Skate Canada isn't until the end of October, 2 1/2 months away. I don't know how likely it is she can get back to Canada, but I bet her team would do their best. One hardly needs to point out how much more favorable the ladies field will be outside of Russia.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought China stated they will not host skating until 2021. If so, South Korea needs to grab that spot.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Skate Canada isn't until the end of October, 2 1/2 months away. I don't know how likely it is she can get back to Canada, but I bet her team would do their best. One hardly needs to point out how much more favorable the ladies field will be outside of Russia.

Now is the time for Medvedeva to channel her inner Native American. Go to the farest east in Russia. Get a canoe to get over the Bering Strait to Alaska. Cross Alaska into Yukon. And voilà, she's in Canada! She can probably even get some ice practice during the trip!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Now is the time for Medvedeva to channel her inner Native American. Go to the farest east in Russia. Get a canoe to get over the Bering Strait to Alaska. Cross Alaska into Yukon. And voilà, she's in Canada! She can probably even get some ice practice during the trip!

Does the Bering Strait ever freeze over? Maybe if SC is held a bit later she could skate her way there :p

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Aaaand the Mounties meet her on the beach and send her back :devil:

Seriously however, there doesn't seem to be - as yet - a date by which the allocation of skaters to the different competitions needs to be made, which doesn't exactly make it easy to allow for those skaters who are based overseas. If Junhwan makes it back to Canada in time, he can be slotted there, if not I assume the Koreans go to China... but what if the borders are still up in the air at the time it needs to be decided? Mae-Berenice is in the US, as I understand it, but would surely prefer to compete in France where she could place well, can she be allocated there while staying put and training till the last (quarantine directed) minute?

If Shoma does choose to head to Switzerland and his coach, is he now to be included in the IdF (given the admittedly rather vague ukase, I'm not sure), and if so, does he or his Federation get to choose whether that or NHK, and by which date?

And even for the ones at home it's not plain sailing. If say, SkAm is cancelled, do the US skaters get added to the Canadian list? If SC is cancelled after SkAm goes ahead, where do the Canadian skaters get allocated?

Decisions, decisions...

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I don’t go to work, luckily I work from home. Which I think every company should be doing.
There’s a difference between necessity and everything else.
There are many jobs that require us to work on site/go out to work. Say construction: they do have to go to site to actually build the stuff. Mechanics have to look into the car/bike/machine to see what is wrong.
This Work from home thingy dont work in many sectors, esp 3rd world countries.

My job requires me to meet people everyday & I(as do many people) need to work to pay the bills.

Whether its safe or not depends which part of the World you are in. My country in Asia reported 1 case yesterday. People can travel freely within the country and between Msia to Spore(those with work permit). Which some people do on a daily basis, ie cross border to work everyday.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And even for the ones at home it's not plain sailing. If say, SkAm is cancelled, do the US skaters get added to the Canadian list? If SC is cancelled after SkAm goes ahead, where do the Canadian skaters get allocated?

The US-Canadian border is closed and probably will remain so for a while.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The US-Canadian border is closed and probably will remain so for a while.

True. Whether it will be in October/November is in the lap of the gods... which makes the job of allocation even more fun.

I don't like the ISU and don't think they ought to call this a GP series anyway, but I can sympathise - a little - with the problems they are trying in their way to work through.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Does the Bering Strait ever freeze over? Maybe if SC is held a bit later she could skate her way there :p

Exactly! Great training session. And I don't think the Alaska/Yukon border is much guarded. The only ones crossing the border is probably the occasional ice bear, and in this case, Zhenya!;)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I feel for the Korean Ladies. I looked at the SB list from last season and there is actually 9 potential skaters (4 in the top 24) that are eligible for senior GPs.

Someone mentioned that Young You is in America and might compete there. But all the others? They probably won't get to compete at all.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Yes, yes, we haven’t seen the like enthusiasm for recreating historic travel routes since Thor Heyerdahl and Kon-Tiki. Even the absence of the land bridge didn’t stop figure skater Medvedeva from completing this historic voyage. All that remained, was a hard trek to Ottawa, across the manless wilderness. That’s when the boot started to give out...

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion. Will Medvedeva make it in time for the practices? Can she still land triple-triple?

eaglehelang

Final Flight
i believe you are from denmark right? the issue with corona is that it spreads in very populated city... with just over 1.2 M habitants, Copenhagen is a tiny city compared to many others... and the next cities barely hit 200K people... in that sense, Denmark cannot be compared to some countries with big centres, where population is much denser.... for instance in Canada, the 4 provinces struggling the most with the virus all have denser cities, while the other provinces barely have seen any cases...

No, far away from Denmark. I'm from South East Asia, the way Asia control it is more strict during the lock down stages of March & April. More strict compared to Western countries when it came to say - entry at airports, social distancing, mask wearing.

We even had one huge Islamic gathering that had 15,000 people attending during end of Feb. This contributed to a big cluster which infected participants & close contacts up 5th generation infection.
By yesterday we had only 1 reported case. Average new cases per day less than 15, majority are those returning from other countries.

Densely populated areas can be controlled. Hong Kong did it, Spore did it. Spore though most cases were foreign workers at hostels.

b-man

Final Flight
I don't see the point of having minimum TES this season. How would a comeback skater like Gracie, or a first year senior who didn't skate well as a junior last year, even qualify? My guess would be that the ISU eventually waives the minimum score requirement for the big events this year.

I read the ISU will revist the TES minimum issue at their Oct meeting.

Do you think NBC will still want to televise this event, now with less international competition.

Will be interesting if SA cancels the lease with the Orleans Hotel venue. It holds plus or minus 8,000 people. Last years attendance varied between 2,000 and 3,000 among the disciplines. They could probably sell 1000 seats, minimize risk with social distancing, and still have more than enough money to rent the Orleans arena.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
A quick google search seems to indicate that, hypothetically, Zhenya would indeed be permitted to enter Canada from Russia, with the correct visa (which I feel she could probably obtain). No where else is as much of a shitshow as the US is right now.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I read the ISU will revist the TES minimum issue at their Oct meeting.

Do you think NBC will still want to televise this event, now with less international competition.

Will be interesting if SA cancels the lease with the Orleans Hotel venue. It holds plus or minus 8,000 people. Last years attendance varied between 2,000 and 3,000 among the disciplines. They could probably sell 1000 seats, minimize risk with social distancing, and still have more than enough money to rent the Orleans arena.

Nevada is still in phase 2 of reopening, which means gatherings of more than 50 people are prohibited. There is no projected timeline for entering phase 3. They cannot have any spectators at Skate America.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, far away from Denmark. I'm from South East Asia, the way Asia control it is more strict during the lock down stages of March & April. More strict compared to Western countries when it came to say - entry at airports, social distancing, mask wearing.

We even had one huge Islamic gathering that had 15,000 people attending during end of Feb. This contributed to a big cluster which infected participants & close contacts up 5th generation infection.
By yesterday we had only 1 reported case. Average new cases per day less than 15, majority are those returning from other countries.

Densely populated areas can be controlled. Hong Kong did it, Spore did it. Spore though most cases were foreign workers at hostels.

damn... sorry for the confusion, i thought i had read from someone from denmark... so whoever it is... my post is valid for that LOL.. .

in case of South east asia, some countries did very well... others not so much.. the philippines are in big big trouble right now.. but vietnam did so well.

rain

Record Breaker
If I were on Zhenya's team, I'd be trying REALLY hard to get her back to Canada.

Definitely. She'd have to quarantine for two weeks, if she can even find a way in given the current rules, but I'd think it's in her best interests to try to not have the compete in Russia (though who knows? with all the crazy that's been going on in the ladies field there lately, maybe her relative stability could give her an advantage).

Is Satoko actually in Canada right now? This could be good for her, too. Will be interesting to see if Kihira and Hanyu compete in Canada as well. These fields are going to be very, very interesting.