2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Yes, yes, we haven’t seen the like enthusiasm for recreating historic travel routes since Thor Heyerdahl and Kon-Tiki. Even the absence of the land bridge didn’t stop figure skater Medvedeva from completing this historic voyage. All that remained, was a hard trek to Ottawa, across the manless wilderness. That’s when the boot started to give out...

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion. Will Medvedeva make it in time for the practices? Can she still land triple-triple?

...And after her boot gave out, Medvedeva, experienced as she is, picks out her spare boot! The hard trek to Ottawa, across the manless wilderness, turned out to be nothing compared to all the monstrous creatures she used to face back in Tut-land. The Zags, the Shcherbs, the Trusvs and the Kostorniaks turned out to be a great learning curve - she crosses the horrid wilderness with ease and posture, and arrives in Ottawa in a most dignified Biellmann way. She is ready for Skate Canada! And ready to begin her journey to slay those monsters at Worlds in Stockholm in March!

Midian

Rinkside
I think they would, if it will really take place in Beijing in the Oly arena (IIRC).

Also, I wonder what happens to skaters who represent countries with no GP, nor in the immediate vicinity of one. I've read here that Tursynbaeva and Kerry train in Russia, but I wonder about the Israelis for instance - they aren't guaranteed any GP anyway, but it seems they don't have much of a chance of getting one, even when skaters compete just once.

Are there any guidelines on the number of participants in the four disciplines? Is it 12-12-10-8 as usual? And is there any limit on the number of entries per country, like skaters up to a certain WS position, or is there an unlimited number of host spots? Hypothetically speaking, could a country reject a skater from a neigboring country who is guaranteed a GP, eventhough the travel between them is possible?

This is what I worry about. The spots and who will get them, and how would that affect the Final.
In fact I'm super happy that there will be at least some kind of substitutionary season but some of these new rules seem a bit unfair for me and make it somehow pointless to take this GP series seriously. I hope there will be some adjustments later on.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The US Open should not take place. And likely will not if stars keep withdrawing - Nadal was the latest.

The college football season is on the verge of being cancelled (or at least postponed until the spring). If America can't find a way to keep college football going, then you know things are bad.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight

sakurano

Final Flight
I'm just over waiting and want to know what's happening. They're announcing the entries but not information?

on another tweet it has udaptee , that at the weekend we will be skating where and answers . more than waiting . but it worries me . for example when I wrote to FFSG to find out if they maintain the GP , they answered yes and with the public by respecting barrier gestures and hygiene standards . but they didn’t have any more information.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Since the ISU site itself doesn't say anything about the announcement, I am not sure how valid this report may be - but I would like to remain hopeful. I would have hoped to attend this year's IdF, but with the situation seemingly going nowhere I wouldn't bother. There will be so many restrictions and controlls, it would totally kill the fun of attending an event. Not worth it.

sakurano

Final Flight
Since the ISU site itself doesn't say anything about the announcement, I am not sure how valid this report may be - but I would like to remain hopeful. I would have hoped to attend this year's IdF, but with the situation seemingly going nowhere I wouldn't bother. There will be so many restrictions and controlls, it would totally kill the fun of attending an event. Not worth it.

I’m not sure either but it seems to me that it is a TLS columnist the same guy who warned that there would be a report of Benoit and Rika soon .

One can only wait and inquire , I regader indeed on the site isu there are not yet the entries .

you’re right I think I’ll do the same , last year was the first competition I was attending and it was just magical , if I go there this year it would ruin everything .

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since the ISU site itself doesn't say anything about the announcement, I am not sure how valid this report may be

Paul Peret is francetvsport's figure skating producer/press officer and has a lot of connections in the skating world, and he doesn't do gossip. If he's reporting this it is, at minimum, something he's heard from a source he trusts.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Surely they would not be stupid enough to have crowds at the GP?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This article really makes me think that perhaps all competitions should be canceled. Professional athletes are in serious danger of heart disease if they exercise during a COVID infection.

https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-just-had-covid-exercise-might-not-be-good-for-you/

The ISU and the feds aren't listening, presumably because they aren't the ones who will suffer long term. Look at the Russian test skates and how utterly careless they all were.

In a few years, we may see just which skaters didn't even know they had the virus... when it's too late.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This article really makes me think that perhaps all competitions should be canceled. Professional athletes are in serious danger of heart disease if they exercise during a COVID infection.

https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-just-had-covid-exercise-might-not-be-good-for-you/

I think it's important to keep in mind this quote: "Because the athletes' hearts weren't imaged prior to their Covid-19 infections... it's impossible to say whether the virus caused the observed damage." Anecdotally, we're seeing elite athletes recover and perform well after infections, such as Novak Djokovic.

If we allow sports to continue, athletes can always opt out if they don't feel safe participating; in addition to Yuzuru Hanyu skipping the GP, #1 tennis player Ashley Barty has decided to stay in Australia rather than compete in the Grand Slam tournaments this fall. For athletes willing to take a risk, and given that they understand to potential problems even with the mitigation efforts that sports federations are undertaking, I think they should be allowed to compete. In many cases, these people rely on competition to earn a living through prize money and endorsements. Additionally, for sports like figure skating, the window for the athlete's peak ability can be as short as a few years.

ruga

Final Flight
How do tennis tournaments take place currently? It's an individual sport so maybe its organization elements can be applied to figure skating. Football has been going as usual lately too, without bigger incidents, but since it's such a highly financed sport where teams have hotels and private planes, their ways can't be applied for figure skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How do tennis tournaments take place currently? It's an individual sport so maybe its organization elements can be applied to figure skating. Football has been going as usual lately too, without bigger incidents, but since it's such a highly financed sport where teams have hotels and private planes, their ways can't be applied for figure skating.

I'm sure they'll isolate skaters and their coach in the hotel, away from the public. Not allow them to leave "the bubble" created (i.e. just back and forth from the rink and hotel). Test every athlete and coach regularly before and during the event.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sure they'll isolate skaters and their coach in the hotel, away from the public. Not allow them to leave "the bubble" created (i.e. just back and forth from the rink and hotel). Test every athlete and coach regularly before and during the event.

Yep, they'll take all the precautions that were clearly in evidence in the Russian test skates. They were damn lucky that that one girl's fever - which was apparently ignored on the day - didn't prove to be the virus, or we could have the entire group of elite ladies out.