Looking for new blades! | Golden Skate

Looking for new blades!

kristine

Spectator
Hi folks!
I'm currently in the process of trying to go from Jackson Freestyles with coronation ace blade, to the Risport RF1 Elites and unfortunately I can't use my old blades since they're too large. I've been trying to find good deals on the CA blades on eBay and am really struggling so I figured I'd see if there were any comparable/ better blades? If any of you are able to send me listings that'd be great, if not just some recs would be great! I'm looking for a 10" blade! (Also I'm not too in tune with the actual metals so if someone could tell me the difference between 1085 carbon steel and 420 or 440 steel that'd be great cause I just need to know how it affects sharpening and the smoothness of skating!)
(for reference, I'm finishing singles, starting doubles and axel). If I forgot to mention something that helps your recommendation feel free to ask :)

Thanks!
xoxo Kristine

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Coronation Ace or MK Professional would be your choices and they're both good choices.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Just a caution on "good deals" on Ebay or other sites. Unless you buy from an authorized retailer (or someone you know and trust), you don't know if you are getting the real thing. Also, if the blades are used, it can be hard to know if they have been sharpened properly or if they've lost the profile due to bad sharpening. An expensive blade whose profile has been trashed through improper sharpening is not a "deal" and will be worth less than a crappy new blade.A very real benefit of buying in-person at a reputable pro shop (which I know may not be possible nowadays) is that they can quality check the blades (even new ones can be "bad" sometimes) and make sure that you have a proper blade on your boot. Also, if there is a manufacturing defect or anything else that comes up later, you'll probably have better luck getting your warranty coverage through an authorized retailer.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I strongly agree with SmallAminal on not buying blades off of ebay.

Find a reputable pro shop or dealer.

kristine

Spectator
Definitely! I actually have a really great pro shop near me that is my go to for my boots but I just wanted to make sure that in my research I wasn't skimming over any blades that could've been good! I appreciate your help!! I can't wait to get my new boots and blades!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi folks!
I'm currently in the process of trying to go from Jackson Freestyles with coronation ace blade, to the Risport RF1 Elites and unfortunately I can't use my old blades since they're too large. I've been trying to find good deals on the CA blades on eBay and am really struggling so I figured I'd see if there were any comparable/ better blades? If any of you are able to send me listings that'd be great, if not just some recs would be great! I'm looking for a 10" blade! (Also I'm not too in tune with the actual metals so if someone could tell me the difference between 1085 carbon steel and 420 or 440 steel that'd be great cause I just need to know how it affects sharpening and the smoothness of skating!)
(for reference, I'm finishing singles, starting doubles and axel). If I forgot to mention something that helps your recommendation feel free to ask :)

Thanks!
xoxo Kristine

<<Emphasis added.>> Since you are referring to these three specific grades of steel, I assume you have watched the Paramount video on Manufacturing (https://www.paramountskates.com/videos). The 1085 grade is one grade of plain carbon steel; the 420 and 440 grades are two different grades of stainless steel. The 1085 grade will rust if you do not dry the blades thoroughly after skating, and if you do not store them in a dry environment (protect them with a light coat of oil for long-term storage). The 420 and 440 grades will not rust even if they are not thoroughly dried after skating and even if they are stored in a damp environment (here I'm talking about a normal indoor residential environment where the blades are not exposed to salt or other corrosive chemicals).

The chemical compositions of the three grades vary. What is important to note is that for the same grade of steel, the physical properties important for a blade (such as hardness, toughness, and edge retention) depend on the specific mechanical and thermal treatment of the steel. So, if two different manufacturers use exactly the same grade of steel, the physical properties may be different due to different processing.

Specifically with respect to Paramount blades, edge retention increases from 1085 to 420 to 440 grades. Higher edge retention translates to a longer interval between sharpenings. The price increases from 1085 to 420 to 440, but you recoup at least a good chunk of that from savings in fewer sharpenings over the course of the same number of sessions. Fewer sharpenings for the same number of sessions translate to a longer total service life (maximum number of hours skated before the blade needs to be replaced). Fewer sharpenings also translate to a more consistent spin rocker profile and sweet spot position over the course of the same number of sessions. [Assuming a competent sharpener, of course.]

The grade of steel does not directly affect the "smoothness of skating" (by which I assume you mean ease of glide and edge control). That is mainly dependent on the quality of sharpening. The caveat here is that stainless steel is more difficult to sharpen than plain carbon steel. So if you purchase a stainless steel blade, make sure you go to a sharpener who has experience with stainless steel blades.

You will often hear that stainless steel blades are noisier than plain carbon steel blades. That is not true; the louder noise in some blades is due to the construction, not the material. For example, I have skated on both the Wilson Coronation Ace and the Riedell Eclipse Aurora. The Wilson Coronation Ace is fabricated from plain carbon steel; the Eclipse Aurora is fabricated from stainless steel. They both share the same traditional construction (runner with stanchions brazed to heel and sole mounting plates). The Aurora is as quiet as the Coronation Ace. Meanwhile, a friend of mine (advance freestylist and coach) has worn Paramounts with both plain carbon steel and stainless steel runners. They both share the same two-part Paramount construction (steel runner attached to an aluminum-alloy chassis). They are both equally noisy (and both noticeably noisier than a traditional blade). I currently skate on the Paramount version of the Gold Seal with a 440 runner; it is noticeably noisier than the Coronation Ace and Aurora. Skaters who skate with Jackson Ultima Matrix blades (two-part construction with stainless steel runner screwed onto an aluminum-alloy chassis) also notice more noise compared to a traditional blade.

Adultsk8ter

Spectator
Hi folks!

Thanks!
xoxo Kristine
I have a 10” CA that I used for 3 months and they are for sale if you are interested. I purchased from skaters landing in Greenwich, CT. I ended up going with an 8 ft rocker and is the only reason they are now collecting dust in my closet.