Russian Junior Test Skates, 10-19 August 2020, Novogorsk | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior Test Skates, 10-19 August 2020, Novogorsk

hanca

Record Breaker
A couple of thoughts:

I really wish Akhanteva/Kolesov got a new free skate. They're already not the most interesting pair and Shine On You Crazy Diamond does them absolutely no favors :noshake:

I enjoy Artemeva/Nazarychev quite a bit, but man they sure struggle with that throw flip a lot. I noticed it last year, but her rotation on it is SO delayed, that could've been what caused the big issue today. Still really like them (and that ridiculous free skate) a lot though!

I guess Akhanteva/Kolesov had even less time than other pairs because they had some sort of drama in the off season. According to the Russian forum, they broke up the partnership (not sure for how long) and didn’t skate and then again got back together... so that would have impacted on their decision to keep the program because they didn’t have much time. I don’t particularly love the program, I find it boring, but I think Akhanteva/Kolesov are the most polished from all current junior pairs. Saying that, of course they are polished, they have been competing internationally for four season (this season is their fifth). So one could say, their progress have been much slower than the progress of some other pairs (who already moved to seniors), but at the same time, it is a pity to throw it away when they have the chance to be on top this season and move to seniors next season. I have no idea what their problem is with each other, what lead them to question whether they should skate together or not, but if there is something between them that doesn’t allow them to work effectively and makes it unpleasant experience to skate together, maybe it would be for the best to split up. But it would be a pity!

Re: Artemeva/Nazarychev, I wouldn’t worry about the throw yet. Don’t forget how little time all these pairs had this off season, thanks to Covid-19. Most pairs made mistakes on side-by-side jumps or had some issues on throws (e.g. touching the ice to stabilise herself, or landing on both feet).

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I like Akhanteva/Kolesov for nice lines, speed and moving like a pair; Artemeva/Nazarychev for performance quality; and Petushkova/Malikov because after that nasty fall at Jr Nats they are both bouncing back awesomely :) Definitely missing the Mozer teams, hopefully we'll see them at local competitions soon.

Agree with posters that A/K's LP isn't very flattering. I like their new SP though, they suit playful - I still remember their cute Kung Fu Panda programme from years back. They've really improved by miles since then, so I hope they can stick together and keep developing. Among the new LPs I like P/M's Addams Family (which either uses some lesser-known music cuts or is mixed in with other music, either way it doesn't force a comparison with other Addams Family programmes).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I haven’t heard news from anyone yet on the matter, but is it safe to assume that Russian Fed will refuse to invite another junior girl to the test skates next week to replace Valieva?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I finally saw pairs. Overally it it can be seen many programs are still raw and that there is a need of more time and training, though there was much less skipping of the parts of programs then there was with ice dancers. In comparison with the last year I would say there were less interesting moments but considering the circumstances it is understandable. Most refined pair are of course Akhanteva/Kolesov, though they were more clean during the new SP than during "Diamond" program which they repeat. If they split and then reunited though, I don't know what to expect from them, though they should probably rule this season in juniors if they manage to put troubles aside. Other more noticeable than the rest were of course Artemeva/Nazarychev (though I still somehow don't count them among my personal favourites, and Raskovalova/Butaev, who seem to have good technique. The rest can show themselves during the season. And of course I'm curious about the Mozer's pairs we haven't seen here.

hanca

Record Breaker
I haven’t heard news from anyone yet on the matter, but is it safe to assume that Russian Fed will refuse to invite another junior girl to the test skates next week to replace Valieva?
Why should they ‘replace’ Valieva? They didn’t replace Moser’s teams in pairs and therefore there were only six pairs on the test skates. There is still 8 junior ladies invited. I can’t see anyone from those who will be junior eligible this season (and haven’t moved to seniors yet) who would deserve to be invited. In fact, I think they were pretty generous inviting Shulskaya and Osokina. Osokina ended up 10th at the juniors nationals and 8th at the Russian cup final. Is that a high level skater? To me, she would be considered great if she was skating for my country, but in Russia it is quite nothing special. Shulskaya did not even compete at the junior nationals, although she ended up 8th at the senior nationals.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Why should they ‘replace’ Valieva? They didn’t replace Moser’s teams in pairs and therefore there were only six pairs on the test skates.

Two a bit different situautions. Mozer asked for her teams not no participate because they are not ready to show their programmes. And it was the fed's decision to push Valieva to senior test skates. I myself thought Valieva should be substituted. I don't follow ladies skating much and junior level almost at all, I didn't even think that we don't have a very deep field there. I thought it's the same competitiveness as in seniors.

hanca

Record Breaker
Two a bit different situautions. Mozer asked for her teams not no participate because they are not ready to show their programmes. And it was the fed's decision to push Valieva to senior test skates. I myself thought Valieva should be substituted. I don't follow ladies skating much and junior level almost at all, I didn't even think that we don't have a very deep field there. I thought it's the same competitiveness as in seniors.

So you are saying that it should be substituted, but you can’t name even one skater who would be deserving to get the chance? In theory, everyone who has been 15 before the first July can move to seniors. That means that anyone who could (anyone who was good enough) moved to seniors. So internationally, there are only two years of eligible skaters. Skaters born between 1.7.2005-30.6.2007. The skaters younger, who were born after 30.6.2007, are not junior eligible internationally. They can skate at the nationals or home competitions such as the Russian cups, but not at JGP and junior worlds and are not invited to test skates. Skaters older than born before 1.7.2005, if they were so great, they would already be in seniors. So there is not many that would be good enough to deserve JGP or go to test skates. (I am not saying that everyone always moves to senior as soon as they are eligible, but we are talking about the good ones, because why waste the spot on those who are not good?) If you look at it from the point of view that the majority of skaters skating junior internationally are from those two years, having some eight or nine skaters is not so bad at all.

The competition will be much stiffer with getting to the nationals because there will be plenty of extra youngsters who are not junior eligible yet, such as Akatieva.

klena

On the Ice
Boys/SP/18 Aug 14:00 msc

1st warm-up

1. Mark Kondratyuk

2. Eugeny Semenenko

3. Andrey Kutovoy

4. Maxim Belyavsky

5. Ilya Yablokov

2nd warm-up

6. Kirill Sarnovsky

7. Vsevolod Knyazev

8. Gleb Lutfullin

9. Artem Kovalev

10. Matvey Vetlugin

Girls/SP/18 Aug 15:30 msc

1st warm-up

1. Elizaveta Osokina

2. Maya Khromykh

3. Anna Frolova

2nd warm-up

4. Adelia Petrosyan

5. Sofia Samodelkina

6. Daria Usacheva

7. Sofia Muravyova

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
The versus: Petrosyan vs Samodelkina vs Usacheva it's the most interesting of the day, we will see some quad?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It’s almost 9pm here in the states; at what time will the junior ladies short program begin, so I can set my alarm , because I believe it all begins very early Eastern time?

sparklestan

On the Ice
It’s almost 9pm here in the states; at what time will the junior ladies short program begin, so I can set my alarm , because I believe it all begins very early Eastern time?
I believe Jr ladies will start at 8:30 am ET. But someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
I think Moscow is 7 hours ahead of New York City.

hanca

Record Breaker
The versus: Petrosyan vs Samodelkina vs Usacheva it's the most interesting of the day, we will see some quad?
I would also add to the mix Muravieva, now when she is with Pluschenko. Maybe not ready to fight yet during the test skates, but by the time of nationals, I think she might be ready.

Skuratov

On the Ice

For Wednesday. Tomorrow is the SP.
Samodelkina has a trixel for her SP. She was trying 4S on practice with sucess.
Daria...Only promises with the Trixel.
Maia: Will she finally be able to land a 4S?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Totally looking forward to today, especially the boys! Shame, Samsonov won't be there but a good few of my faves will make it a great event for me. :hap10: