Why don't single ladies skaters do 3S as solo jump for short programs? | Golden Skate

Why don't single ladies skaters do 3S as solo jump for short programs?

MrMC18

Rinkside
Hey all, this is a question I've had for a long time. I've always thought that doing triple salchow as the solo jump would help a lot of ladies skaters who get penealized for flutzing/lipping, yet most of them usually either go for 3Lo or just choose to get penealized for doing a 3F/3Lz on the wrong edge. For example, Mao Asada would often go for the 3F-3Lo combo in her short program bc she struggled w the 3T, yet she would do the 3Lze and get an edge deduction rather than go for 3S as a solo jump. Another example would be Gracie Gold, who sometimes got lip calls and struggled with the 3Lo, yet she just went for the 3F anyway instead of doing a triple sal. Is it not allowed or do skaters not want to go for it bc it has a low bv?

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Well, it’s just too low base value. There are a couple that do, so unless they can only do 3 triples everyone does 3Lo/3F/3Lz

concorde

Medalist
In Juniors, there is a required solo jump and the rules specify which one it is. This solo jump rotates between loop/lutz/flip and not sure if there is any order.
Last year it was the loop, this year it is the lutz.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think some skaters see it as worth the risk to do the 3F or 3Z instead of the 3S. Often they only have an edge issue with just one of the jumps (i.e. either their lutz or flip has a clear edge), so then they do that and a 3L. If they can't do a 3L, then they might be forced to do a 3S.

A 3S was actually one of Mao's least favourite jumps, and she was much more comfortable going for the 3F+3T/3L/2A, 3F+3L/3A/2A, 3F+2L/3L/2A short program layouts.

There is also a perception that if you do a salchow instead of a flip or lutz, your program is inherently easier, so that could temper your PCS scores because you are perceived as playing it safer/easier than others who do go for the harder jumps.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey all, this is a question I've had for a long time. I've always thought that doing triple salchow as the solo jump would help a lot of ladies skaters who get penealized for flutzing/lipping, yet most of them usually either go for 3Lo or just choose to get penealized for doing a 3F/3Lz on the wrong edge. For example, Mao Asada would often go for the 3F-3Lo combo in her short program bc she struggled w the 3T, yet she would do the 3Lze and get an edge deduction rather than go for 3S as a solo jump. Another example would be Gracie Gold, who sometimes got lip calls and struggled with the 3Lo, yet she just went for the 3F anyway instead of doing a triple sal. Is it not allowed or do skaters not want to go for it bc it has a low bv?

Some do, especially those who don't have a full range of secure triples. Zahra Lari does 3S, for instance, because it's her only strong triple jump. But for others who can do triple jumps with higher base values, they'll often reason that doing a slightly less secure jump with a higher base value is worth the risk.

One thing I'd like to see more of is salchow combinations, though. For some reason people seem to be fine with 3T3T combinations but side-eye 3S3Ts as too easy, and 3S3Lo is very difficult but if done well really should provide a solid GOE bonus on top of its base value. Kurt Browning used to do a 3S3Lo combination sometimes, and it looked amazing.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some do, especially those who don't have a full range of secure triples. Zahra Lari does 3S, for instance, because it's her only strong triple jump. But for others who can do triple jumps with higher base values, they'll often reason that doing a slightly less secure jump with a higher base value is worth the risk.

One thing I'd like to see more of is salchow combinations, though. For some reason people seem to be fine with 3T3T combinations but side-eye 3S3Ts as too easy, and 3S3Lo is very difficult but if done well really should provide a solid GOE bonus on top of its base value. Kurt Browning used to do a 3S3Lo combination sometimes, and it looked amazing.

Evgenia Medvedeva does a beautiful 3S3Lo.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Some do, especially those who don't have a full range of secure triples.

Yes, very much so. If you watch more of the senior field beyond the elite skaters, the easier triples are much more common.

(As mentioned earlier, juniors have a required solo jump which is never salchow or toe loop. But many mid-level juniors will do those jumps in their combination.)

One thing I'd like to see more of is salchow combinations, though. For some reason people seem to be fine with 3T3T combinations but side-eye 3S3Ts as too easy,

I don't know that they think it's "too easy" compared to 3T+3T, but rather that it's easier to get higher GOE for the 3T+3T, so if they're going to do an easier combination they want to maximize the potential reward.

and 3S3Lo is very difficult but if done well really should provide a solid GOE bonus on top of its base value. Kurt Browning used to do a 3S3Lo combination sometimes, and it looked amazing.

The nature of triple loops at the end of combinations makes it difficult to maximize GOE, since it's hard to earn the "good height and distance" criterion.

In free skates, there are three combinations allowed, and at most two triple toes, so skaters who can will look to put other triples at the end of combinations (loops, or euler+salchow or flip). In short programs, there's only one combination, so skaters will usually strategize what is likely to earn them the best base value+GOE.

Evgenia Medvedeva does a beautiful 3S3Lo.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rika will be at the Olympics for sure and I think she is the only one guaranteed to be on the podium. The Russian ladies could have an entirely different team by next year. They will have a threat to Rika. I am curious though who will be on the Russian team come Beijing. I am guessing Valieva. Then who knows other than I doubt it will be ET. Unless she gets a quad. So I am guessing Russia, Rika, Russia, Liu, Kaori,, Russia, Chen to Tennell, (and no Canadian in the top 15.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
3T-3T is much easier than 3S+3T (at least for me, as toeloop followed by the same jump has easier momentum to manage and easier to control for me personally), and salchow only has 0.1 increase in BV, hence why I stick to training 3T+3T and then the harder triples+3T, and totally ignore 3S+3T.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
3T-3T is much easier than 3S+3T (at least for me, as toeloop followed by the same jump has easier momentum to manage and easier to control for me personally), and salchow only has 0.1 increase in BV, hence why I stick to training 3T+3T and then the harder triples+3T, and totally ignore 3S+3T.
I find the only people who are the opposite and prefer 3S+3T are people with shaky toes like myself. They're my worst toe jump so if I mess up the first jump even a little bit (which is much less likely to happen with the sal for me) I can't do the second jump well. So when I get good T+T (any rotation) they're really good, but S+T is more consistent and therefore smarter to put into competition.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I despise sal toes, haha! I prefer sal loop combos, as for me, the timing is easier.

See, I'd rather see a very well executed 3S rather than a poorly executed 3Lz or 3F though, but I know that doesn't score as well, sadly.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I despise sal toes, haha! I prefer sal loop combos, as for me, the timing is easier.

See, I'd rather see a very well executed 3S rather than a poorly executed 3Lz or 3F though, but I know that doesn't score as well, sadly.
If GOE was used properly and the difference is as stark as you are implying, the sal would score better. Sadly, GOE is not used properly.

S+Lo is a fun combo for sure and I prefer it to S+T also, but I prefer S+T over T+T.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I find the only people who are the opposite and prefer 3S+3T are people with shaky toes like myself. They're my worst toe jump so if I mess up the first jump even a little bit (which is much less likely to happen with the sal for me) I can't do the second jump well. So when I get good T+T (any rotation) they're really good, but S+T is more consistent and therefore smarter to put into competition.
Combos don't make a difference to me on rotation less than triple. At this point I can fire 2T off any jump (in fact even 2T+2T+2T off a terrible landing). With 2Lo, I can do off any good landing and 2Lo+2Lo off most landings.

With triple toe as second jump, things change for me as the momentum off 2T/3T helps me shoot the second toe, and off 3S I just don't get the landing assisting me (often I have to try reload for the combo (similar to the current top russian girls) instead of just naturally picking and being carried through the second jump.