Everyone OK? | Golden Skate

Everyone OK?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Havent been in touch much. MFarone keeps me up to date on things although I cant understand a word or idea the ISU or the USFS has to say......I have been social distancing at campgrounds around WA, ID, WY, SD and MT , taking four trips on my bikes as all my other events have been canceled. Waiting for the hammer to fall on SkateAmerica and Nats. Other than that, just trying to stay healthy working around my ranch. What have y'all been up to trying to pass the time?
Mt. Rainier NP.

Attachments

• aaa mt rainier.jpg
    aaa mt rainier.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 132

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Havent been in touch much. MFarone keeps me up to date on things although I cant understand a word or idea the ISU or the USFS has to say......I have been social distancing at campgrounds around WA, ID, WY, SD and MT , taking four trips on my bikes as all my other events have been canceled. Waiting for the hammer to fall on SkateAmerica and Nats. Other than that, just trying to stay healthy working around my ranch. What have y'all been up to trying to pass the time?
Mt. Rainier NP.

Hello! I did wonder how you were (I wonder and worry about pretty much everyone in the rest of the world this year) and am glad to hear you are okay. What a lovely picture!

To be honest, we've been bored and bickering, mostly, so what else is new?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since the gym is closed (I miss the pool in particular), I make sure I take walks around the neighborhood every day (for about 45 minutes). Doing a lot of "Zooming" for synagogue activities (services, adult education, virtual concerts). On weekends we have been walking around in local parks. One day we drove to one of the Northern New Jersey shore points - Point Pleasant Beach. It was a pleasure to be there (even though it was crowded). We wore our masks & practiced social distancing, of course.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hello! I did wonder how you were (I wonder and worry about pretty much everyone in the rest of the world this year) and am glad to hear you are okay. What a lovely picture!

To be honest, we've been bored and bickering, mostly, so what else is new?

I cant imagine anyone around the world being confined to an apartment during the quaranteen. Here, nothing changed much out on the ranch except I couldnt meet with friends and had to wear an N95 mask when I went to the grocery store....
I was deeply saddened to learn this today....
Sudden death of Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya...

And this.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/australia/victoria-coronavirus-state-of-disaster-intl/index.html

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Since the gym is closed (I miss the pool in particular), I make sure I take walks around the neighborhood every day (for about 45 minutes). Doing a lot of "Zooming" for synagogue activities (services, adult education, virtual concerts). On weekends we have been walking around in local parks. One day we drove to one of the Northern New Jersey shore points - Point Pleasant Beach. It was a pleasure to be there (even though it was crowded). We wore our masks & practiced social distancing, of course.

If you have any questions about masks, I am highly trained in them as I had to deal with virus in my work that had a 40 percent mortality rate. The training we had to have took a half day. It was very well done.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oddly, the campgrounds are all full and the hotels all half empty. I was able to stop and see the visitor's center at the Heart Mt. concentration camp. Very sobering and emotional.
The docents were wonderful and very knowledgable. One appeared in the epic KSPS special, "Looking like the Enemy"

Attachments

• aaa heart mt.jpg
    aaa heart mt.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 130

Ross74

Medalist
Oddly, the campgrounds are all full and the hotels all half empty. I was able to stop and see the visitor's center at the Heart Mt. concentration camp. Very sobering and emotional.
The docents were wonderful and very knowledgable. One appeared in the epic KSPS special, "Looking like the Enemy"
Well-done visitor's center, isn't it?

Did you happen to see anyone on their way to Sturgis?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My next door neighbor went to Sturgis. Trailered his hog out there.

Luckily we are anti-social and only ever see them outside anyway:biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My next door neighbor went to Sturgis. Trailered his hog out there.

Luckily we are anti-social and only ever see them outside anyway:biggrin:

My neighbors went to Sturgis (they live 200 yards away from me). They are party animals. I am not a biker and wont go into what I think about them all but if you watch the NYTimes figures on covid, things arent looking good for the three SD counties involved in the street party. I can not believe SD sold the health of their citizens for money....
Chris the motorcyclist...the one with the helmet and mufflers. Who doesnt drink and drive.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I avoid any trips that take me anywhere near Sturgis riders....just sayin'
I would love it if the Concentration camp, that is still in govt use, at Tule Lake would have a great visitors center. My friend Tosh was in one in California and was actually put in a stables in CA before the camp was built, with George Takei, Mr. Sulu from Startrek.

Attachments

• a reno tule lake.jpg
    a reno tule lake.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 130

Ducky

On the Ice
I cant imagine anyone around the world being confined to an apartment during the quaranteen. Here, nothing changed much out on the ranch except I couldnt meet with friends and had to wear an N95 mask when I went to the grocery store....
I was deeply saddened to learn this today....
Sudden death of Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya...

And this.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/australia/victoria-coronavirus-state-of-disaster-intl/index.html

Honestly, my biggest fear is getting diagnosed with COVID because then I would technically have to stay in my room for 14 days (except for the bathroom) - not even just staying in my apartment but my room - because my roommates might get infected.

Right now, NYC is in some weird phase 4 -- hooray, freestyle sessions are back! Boo, no indoor dining because I have so many friends have been unemployed since PAUSE was enacted and don't have health insurance AND don't have the $600/week coming in and are back to regular unemployment benefits... which will also run out next month -- and it's nice to be able to go out and sit at an outdoor restaurant/bar in the early evening and do work and read.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Chris! Was just thinking about checking in with everyone here at GS because I haven't posted in a while. How are you holding up? Was looking forward to possibly seeing you at Skate America again but who knows what will happen this season..

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Mt. Rainier NP.

Beautiful bike and beautiful view!
Late for the thread, but I hope all is well and going on steadily as possible :). Myself, I try not to think a lot about lack of FS-related travels, watching skating live and meeting people bc it makes me sad (even more grateful I made this WJC trip in March, just before lockdown in Europe!). Trying to focus on work (we are working remotely since mid-March, no signs of returning to the office this year as my employer is rather on careful side), baking/cooking, keeping contact with friends and crafting if my lazy behind feels like it hehe ;). I plan to finish couple of DIY cards projects I started and order some new crepe paper for flowers to make crowns to occupy my mind during autumn. Also, back in April I spent first ever Easter alone - my mom was in Germany at that time and we decided that she should stay there for safety reasons and not risk getting back to Poland in the midst of pandemic. There were tears, but me & my sister (who lives in different city thsn me) prepared Easter breakfast for each of our own and caught up with mom to let her 'supervise'our efforts from distance :). It was bittersweet experience that taught me to not take someone's presence for granted, ever.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Honestly, my biggest fear is getting diagnosed with COVID because then I would technically have to stay in my room for 14 days (except for the bathroom) - not even just staying in my apartment but my room - because my roommates might get infected.

Right now, NYC is in some weird phase 4 -- hooray, freestyle sessions are back! Boo, no indoor dining because I have so many friends have been unemployed since PAUSE was enacted and don't have health insurance AND don't have the $600/week coming in and are back to regular unemployment benefits... which will also run out next month -- and it's nice to be able to go out and sit at an outdoor restaurant/bar in the early evening and do work and read.

Its really nice to go eat breakfast in an outdoor place. My riding bud Joe is on the left. We are riding down to Utah's 5 National Parks in Sept. to social distance. For all you poor souls that have to work, this is what retirement looks like!

Attachments

• aaaa frosty s.jpg
    aaaa frosty s.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 131

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris! Was just thinking about checking in with everyone here at GS because I haven't posted in a while. How are you holding up? Was looking forward to possibly seeing you at Skate America again but who knows what will happen this season..

I know. It would be great to see all my friends in Vegas but I dont think its gonna happen. I am not even sure about nats...I doubt it.....No vaccine, no large events indoors. I just keep taking motorcycle trips. I miss you and your folks....tell them Hi for me and that I got to see the visitor center at the Heart Mountain Concentration camp....I dont know what's worse...missing the skating or all the friends I have made....

Attachments

• skateamerica vegas s.jpg
    skateamerica vegas s.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 127

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I miss the pool sooo much. I compete in Senior Olympics and ALL of them were cancelled for the year. Theoretically I could swim again as the Y is open once again. But my brother the MD says it is too dangerous and I must wait until Dr Fauci clears gyms.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I miss the pool sooo much. I compete in Senior Olympics and ALL of them were cancelled for the year. Theoretically I could swim again as the Y is open once again. But my brother the MD says it is too dangerous and I must wait until Dr Fauci clears gyms.
Its getting worse fast. I am certainly not celebrating T day outside of my wife and dogs......I am staying home on the ranch. I have a good friend who is old like me and he and his wife live off the beaten path in Northern Wisconsin, He went to town to stock up and got covid and gave it to his wife. He has no idea how. And he is very smart and careful. He and she will be fine but covid is no fun.....especially for us older folks.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very bad news in the area where I live, yesterday 2 people tested COVID-19 positive and now there's 17 and rising. This is an outbreak by Aussie standards and it looks like we'll have to go into a short lockdown over the weekend in the hope it will stifle the spread.

I'm a bit alarmed to be honest... I've made sure to wear a mask when out and about, but since COVID spreads so easily I'm not sure how much protection that offers.

And I've just realised I only have 1.5 rolls of toilet paper left...