Wagner's pain not limited to Olympic years | Golden Skate

Wagner's pain not limited to Olympic years

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightphoton

Medalist
Poor Ashley. 5 concussions, torn quadriceps, boyfriend breaking up with her just before Worlds ...

I'm really amazing that she had a torn quad when she won her World silver medal, and landing every jump was painful.

She partially tore the quad muscle in her landing leg. Wagner rated the initial pain as a seven out of 10. It lessened, but it would bother her for two months.

Wagner had the performance of her life at worlds, ending a 10-year U.S. women’s medal drought by taking silver.

“You’re going into a jump, and you just know it’s going to hurt,” Wagner remembered. “There’s a lot of anxiety that comes with an injury like that, but you have to turn your head off at that point.”

Wagner chose not to discuss the injury in interviews before or right after worlds. She did reportedly mention it at Skate America six months later.

“I didn’t want that to be the story [at worlds],” Wagner said. “I was already mentally dealing with so much. The last thing that I wanted to see was a reminder of my injury left and right.”

:luv17: but the last quote is classic Ashley. I love how she sets a clear goal, and she's taking concrete steps to achieve it. No "I'm just skating for fun and I only want to do my best hehehe" from Diva Wagner.

“The only reason why I signed on for four more years in the sport is because I think I’m capable of getting an individual medal,” she said when asked to rate her medal chances after Skate Canada. “How I skated at Skate Canada isn’t going to get me a medal, but also Skate Canada isn’t the bar that I’m setting for myself at the Olympics. I will be better. I will be prepared.”

leafygreens

Final Flight
“The only reason why I signed on for four more years in the sport is because I think I’m capable of getting an individual medal,”

Anything is possible. Ashley has so far been the luckiest skater ever, clinging on to medals for simply being the last one standing (and sometimes not standing.) This gives her a bit of delusion. If you take out all but three skaters for the top countries she is still ranked about 12th or so this season. And she is not the only one who is hungry.

Ashley is a competitor but not a high scorer. I believe she has reached the peak of where she can go compared with who has surpassed her, score wise. Her highest score ever was 215.39 (late in the season) and she has not shown that form in a year and a half. Five skaters have surpassed that score already early in the season. File me under Ashley's beloved naysayers.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2017-18/sbtslto.htm

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley is a competitor but not a high scorer. I believe she has reached the peak of where she can go compared with who has surpassed her, score wise. Her highest score ever was 215.39 (late in the season) and she has not shown that form in a year and a half. Five skaters have surpassed that score already early in the season. File me under Ashley's beloved naysayers.

The thing is, anything really can happen at the Olympics. There will be medal favorites who falter. Ashley won't win gold, but I don't think there will be as much lobbying for Alina and Polina T (if that's the team) because not only are they from the same country as Evgenia, they share the same coach. So I think Russia is all in behind Evgenia. Ashley has problems with under rotations, but so does Mirai and she was able to rotate everything except her 3A in her most recent LP. Unlike Mirai, Ashley will get great PCS marks if she executes technically. I think to have any chance at an individual medal, Ashley has to win Nationals so she gets the full support of the USFSA going into the Olympics.

pearly

Record Breaker
I have been a fan of Ashley since her Worlds 2016 free skate. That won me over. Unfortunately I do not think she can win an individual medal in the current ladies field. But regardless of that I will root for her to skate clean and do her absolute best :)

Manitou

Medalist
You do not talk about conquering "demons", whatever those "demons" mean. You simply conquer them silently. If you need to talk about it then they are conquering you.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
She could win a medal, perhaps if she could jump without UR´s or two-footing. I suppose that at US Nationals her possible faults will be ignored, but hopefully the Olympics and Worlds are more strict?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I feel like articles like this are apology articles for skaters when there is a probability they will implode amidst massive expectations. :scratch2:

She could win a medal, perhaps if she could jump without UR´s or two-footing. I suppose that at US Nationals her possible faults will be ignored, but hopefully the Olympics and Worlds are more strict?

They ARE more strict, and USFSA is realizing that it has made a mistake of hyping up Ashley in the past several Nationals (especially in 2014) only to have her not deliver.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
There's ambitious and then there's delusional. She's not getting an olympic medal. I think a happy ending for Ashley would be 4th at the olympics and depending on how depleted the field is at worlds, another world medal.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The big question is how Ashley is going to skate at Nationals. The last 2 times when the Olympics were on the line she choked especially in 2014 and in 2010 she buried herself after the SP.

andromache

Record Breaker
You do not talk about conquering "demons", whatever those "demons" mean. You simply conquer them silently. If you need to talk about it then they are conquering you.

:rolleye:

Lol this is what interviews for athletes are for. Talking about their competitive history and how they plan to improve.

FYI for many, many people, verbalizing something, putting it into speech and telling it to others, is itself a part of making something real.

I don't think Ashley will win an individual Olympic medal. But if she doesn't believe that she can, or if she starts telling people that she doesn't think she can, then that means she DEFINITELY won't win anything.

Y'all calling her delusional are harsh. She's not a young up-and-comer whose turned themselves into a bit of an underdog (like, say, Marin Honda) or a has-been (like, say, Alena Leonova) - in either case, it would be perfectly reasonable for them to say "my goal is to place top 6" or "my goal is to place top 10."

She won WSM less than two years ago. Do we really WANT a skater in her position to set her sights lower than an individual medal, or, even better, to start making it known that she is setting her sights lower than an individual medal??

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I did not know that Ashley was injured / not fully healthy while skating in Boston and the fact that she skated like this, bringing Silver is mind-boggling in hindsight. :eek:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Funny thing is that in the lead-up to Boston, it was known that Wagner had that hard fall in the show and talk among gossip circles was that she wasn’t back to 100% because of it. In fact, it came to a head during Worlds practices where Wagner tweeted out “I’m injury free!” to dispel reports that she was practicing light and not jumping. Anyway, I certainly couldn’t really tell anything was off watching her practice. So CLEARLY she didn’t want word getting out. :laugh:
_______
I won’t knock her for stating her ambitions for Korea, even if I personally think it’s a *very* long shot (at this point). Better than the hackneyed “I want to skate my best” soundbytes anyway.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I just hope she can finally skate free. This is likely her last year and she should go all out in even if her tech cannot win a medal with the Russian and Japanese teens there and Kaetlyn. first step is her is proving she can win a fourth
US title. At this point if Ashley just said I will skate my heart out and let go of expectations it could happen. Her errors are always nerve related. This year there is no Gracie Gold nor Polina likely. Chen I think is her only real competition for gold. Mirai -who knows. But Bell is so inconsistent and there is now amazing newcomer to worry about. It’s likely some combo of Ashley Mirai and Karen. Ashley puts great pressure on herself. If only she would just let go of results and skate freely like in 2016 then medals can happen. Her demons are her self doubt and if she is healthy she needs to attack every element like it is her last skate ever. I hope she can let herself be free.

evasorange

Final Flight
Y'all are so damn harsh on Ashley! Reading this board over the years you would get the impression that she can barely do a spin, skates slower then a three year old, and has rotated two jumps in all of her skating career:noshake: If all the other girls were held to the same underrotation standard Ashley is...she might not be the absolute best in the field but she can hold her own against the best in the world and has many times over. It just never seems to be enough for some people. I mean the fact that she is even in contention for a second Olympic team at 26 years old...she is resilient as HELL and I believe if she can fully rotate jumps and keep her nerves at bay she is absolutely capable of getting an individual medal.

temadd

Final Flight
“The only reason why I signed on for four more years in the sport is because I think I’m capable of getting an individual medal,”

Anything is possible. Ashley has so far been the luckiest skater ever, clinging on to medals for simply being the last one standing (and sometimes not standing.) This gives her a bit of delusion. If you take out all but three skaters for the top countries she is still ranked about 12th or so this season. And she is not the only one who is hungry.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2017-18/sbtslto.htm

I agree that Ashley's chances for an Oly medal seem slim and that her personal best score is not enough these days. But I do believe that the inflation in scores this season has surpassed the actual improvement in content. Look at NHK where Evgenia got a 144+ with a fall and a very ugly lutz-kind of ridiculous. So perhaps if Ashley skates well:pray: her score will also be inflated.:pray:

temadd

Final Flight

Actually that was the title of the article but she was not quoted as saying that

Amei

Record Breaker
Y'all are so damn harsh on Ashley! Reading this board over the years you would get the impression that she can barely do a spin, skates slower then a three year old, and has rotated two jumps in all of her skating career:noshake: If all the other girls were held to the same underrotation standard Ashley is...she might not be the absolute best in the field but she can hold her own against the best in the world and has many times over. It just never seems to be enough for some people. I mean the fact that she is even in contention for a second Olympic team at 26 years old...she is resilient as HELL and I believe if she can fully rotate jumps and keep her nerves at bay she is absolutely capable of getting an individual medal.

That's not really a mark at how incredible she is but how poor the competition pool is in the US. She's gonna need to perform absolutely flawless and she needs others to mess up in order for her to podium at Olympics.

Nigel

On the Ice
Sorry....I have to say something ....as much as I give Wagner credit for sticking it out all these years, the "diva factor" rises to the top when she needs to build herself up. Do we really think she has the goods to go up against the top Russian ladies ( or Kostner....who, yes, still needs to up the ante technically, but choreographically, her programs are stunning this season) I don't care that Wagner talks about old injuries. The Olympics are about bringing it to the ice. IF she is going to go for a medal this year, then put it out there. No excuses ...old or new. The skating HAS to speak for itself. Technically and choreographically. This is a competition. Not a coronation.

temadd

Final Flight
Sorry....I have to say something ....as much as I give Wagner credit for sticking it out all these years, the "diva factor" rises to the top when she needs to build herself up. Do we really think she has the goods to go up against the top Russian ladies ( or Kostner....who, yes, still needs to up the ante technically, but choreographically, her programs are stunning this season) I don't care that Wagner talks about old injuries. The Olympics are about bringing it to the ice. IF she is going to go for a medal this year, then put it out there. No excuses ...old or new. The skating HAS to speak for itself. Technically and choreographically. This is a competition. Not a coronation.

She is well aware of this. It's not her fault that the reporter chose to ask her questions about previous world championships and then focused his article on the obstacles. She spoke nothing of her problems at 2016 and 17 worlds until reporters asked her about them months later. She is aware of her shortcomings and is working hard to overcome them. Truth is, right now the US has no one better.

Has she publicly called herself a diva or did that come from TSL? I could have missed it, but I have not heard her refer to herself as a diva.

Status
Not open for further replies.