2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 186 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Shayuki

Record Breaker
OMG, Sakhanovich beat Konstantinova and won the SP at Warsaw Cup! :hap10:

I'm very happy about that. Good to see her doing well. It also was good to see that Konstantinova doesn't get massively overscored for no real reason in international competitions.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Happy to see Sima skating well again, she performed with more confidence today. She looked very upset with her fall on 2A, she has worked so hard to fix it so I understand why, but other jumps were pretty good. Seemed a bit shocked she scored so well. :hap10: Onwards and upwards!

madison

Record Breaker
I'm depressed because of Zagi :(.
A GP final without her would not be a highlight, at least for me :(

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
OMG, Sakhanovich beat Konstantinova and won the SP at Warsaw Cup! :hap10:

I love Sima but with a fall and a score of 61, I'm not sure what people are so excited about. She wasn't exactly facing stiff competition. And there is still tomorrow...

Lily flowers

On the Ice

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. She seems much more comfortable with her free than her short, and she skated it clean every time this season iirc. And she already has a gold medal, so she still has a pretty good shot at the final.

madison

Record Breaker
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. She seems much more comfortable with her free than her short, and she skated it clean every time this season iirc. And she already has a gold medal, so she still has a pretty good shot at the final.

I hope she'll cope with the situation but things don't look good at all.
It's for the first time when I see her really down there in the K&C, almost crying.
I could see anger in her eyes after the short program, at Lombardia, and disappointment at COC.... but here it was something else.
I hope Eteri will do a magic overnight :D.
A positive thing is that she has a really close connection at an emotional level with Daniil. I checked their synastry chart and I found many aspects that indicate support, emotional connection and love.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I love Sima but with a fall and a score of 61, I'm not sure what people are so excited about. She wasn't exactly facing stiff competition. And there is still tomorrow...

It's not a competitive score, anyone can see that. But some improvement is better than none at all, and it could have been better if she got that 2A. She was very upset about the fall, so she might fight harder in the free.

I was kinda :scratch2: with the scores though because Stasya landed everything but somehow got lower TES.
Edit: Stasya's 3T was downgraded, got edge call on 3F and lost a few levels.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It was hilarious when the British commentators kept going on about Zagitova not medaling, not going to the gpf... I still think she’ll be at least silver tomorrow. She’s not my favorite skater, but I still think she can medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's astounding to me that Zagitova has yet to deliver a fall-free SP this season. :eek: I said last season that the hype is jumping the gun, but I still thought she would be doing better than this. She is lucky the field also messed up themselves. 62.46 wouldn't have even put her in the last 2 flights at Worlds last year.

What she delivers in the FS will be a true test. Honestly, I think tomorrow's FS will be a defining point in her season -- she needs to make a real statement to get momentum going into the GPF and Russian nationals.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Alina is very, very young, still a child.
It's her first Senior season. It's normal that she's having trouble adjusting and that she's yo-yo-ing a bit in her performances. It has never been fair, the expectations piled on top of this girl. So many expect her to be the next Zhenya in consistency, and be the Oly threat, and represent her country ... and she's 15.

Personally, I am not surprised at all this is happening. She's her own person, who is going to take the time she needs to adjust to it all. Even if the season is a bust, so what. But I actually think she'll pull through and grow into all of this. It just takes time.

In general, she (like Marin) is a good example of what I highly dislike, and that's putting so much pressure on someone so young. Give her room to breathe. I think fans should too. She needs both the failures, and the successes, to grow. Just my 2 cents.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The pressure and expectations aren't healthy for sure. Even looking at Medvedeva's senior debut who's seen as a paragon of consistency, it's not all that different from Alina's so far... fall at her senior B, falls at both her Grand Prix events, and it wasn't until the final that she delivered a clean competition. Even though Medvedeva had an undefeated junior season, she didn't have the same pressure because she was just a newbie debuting in the middle of the quad. Should be interesting to follow how Zagitova's season plays out.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Evgenia has throughout her senior career made numerous mistakes. The reason why it seems she is always so rock solid is because her mistakes are few and far in between. There is never an appearance of making mistakes over and over. She makes a mistake but performs the rest of the program as if there isn't any. She makes a mistake in one competition and performs better the next one. She's able to make people forget they happen. And unlike all of her peers she has never had a disaster skate that makes you close your eyes in despair. Of course being solid at all the big major events gives her an air of always being perfect.

NHK was the first time she made two big mistakes in a single program and the first time it was noticeable that she made a mistakes in back to back competitions. Of course she's currently nursing a slight ankle injury so that explains why. And despite this she was her usual great self in both SP programs.

Not to worry. A 4th in France would be enough for her to get into the finals. :yes:

Alina is very, very young, still a child.

It's her first Senior season. It's normal that she's having trouble adjusting and that she's yo-yo-ing a bit in her performances... Even if the season is a bust, so what.

The other side of the coin is this: the Olympics are coming in February, ready or not. Four years form now, who knows, Alina may be out of the sport. Go. go. go!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The other side of the coin is this: the Olympics are coming in February, ready or not. Four years form now, who knows, Alina may be out of the sport. Go. go. go!

It's true and personally, I think she'll be ready.
I just don't think it's healthy to put people who are so young under such enormous pressure, as in do or die. It's not. Even if she doesn't make it, it's not the end of the world. Her life is just beginning.
And if she makes it to the Olys, but walks out emotionally troubled, which we have seen happen, with quite serious consequences, is it really worth it?

So I definitely agree she should just go for it. But there has to be a line IMO to the pressure put on her shoulders. She knows it may be her one and only chance, I am quite sure of it, and this adds further internal pressure, that she herself applies. So how people behave, adults, is something that can be managed, and I do include fans here. So encourage her, and support her, and sure, push her to a healthy limit. But as I said, at least for me, there has to be a limit. Or bad things happen. Adults crumble at Olympics, never mind young minds.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I remember five-six years ago everybody believed that 2018 was going to be Liza and Adelina's time. And look at where they are now! Adelina was lucky that opportunity presented itself in 2014 and unfortunately Liza isn't so lucky. You got to take the chances you are given NOW and run with them otherwise........:confused2: This sport is very unforgiving and time is hardly ever on their side

madison

Record Breaker
I don't get all this hype of participating at the Olympic Games, even if you don't have a chance to medal :slink:

tars

Record Breaker
Can we even properly assess Alina's, Maria's and Liza's form on that rink full of water? :scratch2:

tars

Record Breaker
https://streamable.com/y4xb5

From this morning. Seeing this made me so happy(7 years old).
Ok guys, we've got serious talent alert right here. :shocked:

Her name is Uliana Vasilieva, b. 2009. I read she is from small town Pavlovo, 400km away from Moscow. Won Kudriavtsev's tourney two weeks ago with a fall(!) against 30 competitors. All jumps in second half, topped all charts: TES, PCS (SS, PE, IN).

What's the name of tournament in your video?