2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 157 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Yes, Polina was very decent. I think her chances of making the US team are quite good.

I don't think her chances are good. Athough our ladies have been very inconsistent we still have Mariah, Mirai, Karen, Ashley all fighting to stay on the team. These are the big 4. Polina does a 3sal as a solo jump which will never be competitive for even a top 10 spot in the Olympics. The 4 have way higher base value and I also don't see Polina puling herself out of 8th or 9th place here. Although the others had lack luster results at their gp's, at least we know when performed clean their programs would be competitive. Even if Polina performed that sp perfectly she still would have only made eighth place. With Mirai proving she can do fully rotated 3as + clean longs, Ashley has a gp medal(possible gpf?), its between Karen and Mariah. Karen, was the skater who got us three spots and although she skated poorly at Skate Canada she had only had that program for two weeks so SA will be a better assessment of where she stands. Mariah performed well at COR with a super strong field and skated an almost clean long and short and was on the world team last year. I will say, Mariah is the most vulnerable to be booted from the team. We also have Bradie T. coming up at Skate America who just can't seem to miss this season. She has the highest total score of any US lady internationally this season. If she performs well at SA she could be a real darkhorse for the team. I get that Polina has improved since Finland which is inspiring but she simply is not even close to the rest of the ladies..... Although, if she skates a clean long tomorrow and rotates her jumps I will eat my words :)

leafygreens

Final Flight
I know you should not compare across events, but these results are similar...
Courtney Hicks 58.43 at Warsaw
Polina Edmunds 56.31 at IdFrance

Why do people say you can't compare scores across competitions? The ISU does with their "bests" rankings. Unless there is some huge ethics controversy on the judging panel (rivaling what happened at '02 Olympics or '14 Olympics) then it seems more than justified to compare across competitions (not "well this tech caller was 'tough' and my favorite didn't place well so you can't compare"). IJS is a whole lot better of a comparison across competition than 6.0 was.

That being said, a SP in the 50s is not good enough to make the Olympic team for Courtney or Polina. Both need to improve by 10+ points ASAP to be competitive.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold already has her Olympic experience from Sochi, so she can move on holding that credential, and take that experience with her moving forward. A high achievement, even if some fans feel she might have been capable of more.

frida80

Record Breaker
100% expected, but still sad.

I expected more from Polina by this point in the season. Assuming she doesn't have a reliable 3Lz or 3F yet, her LP is probably going to be....not good. I don't think going to college full time is ideal for making the Olympics.

To tell you the truth, I didn’t expect more. She was off the ice for a year. Her body changed significantly. She couldn’t do her flip her Lutz until recently. Dealing with so many changes and set backs is really tough. It’s good that she’s confident and determined. She’ll need that to get back to her previous form.

The unfortunate part is, she’s going to have to work her way up from the bottom. A weak placement at nationals and a low season high, means no GP slot next year. She’s going to have to really have a break out summer next year to get SA. If she’s committed she can do it.

qwerty

On the Ice
To tell you the truth, I didn’t expect more. She was off the ice for a year. Her body changed significantly. She couldn’t do her flip her Lutz until recently. Dealing with so many changes and set backs is really tough. It’s good that she’s confident and determined. She’ll need that to get back to her previous form.

The unfortunate part is, she’s going to have to work her way up from the bottom. A weak placement at nationals and a low season high, means no GP slot next year. She’s going to have to really have a break out summer next year to get SA. If she’s committed she can do it.

Do you expect Polina to come back next year? I had assumed she'd focus entirely on college after this season. I don't get the impression that she's passionately committed to skating even this year (I'm not basing that assumption off anything terribly tangible, just that college seems to be a big draw for her.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know you should not compare across events, but these results are similar...
Courtney Hicks 58.43 at Warsaw
Polina Edmunds 56.31 at IdFrance

FWIW, from today's Sectionals:

Hanna Harrell won Junior Ladies SP at Midwesterns with 65.43.

Emmy Ma won Senior Ladies SP at Easterns with 61.45.

Good luck to all the ladies with their free skates.

And hugs to Gracie Gold :ghug:.

frida80

Record Breaker
Do you expect Polina to come back next year? I had assumed she'd focus entirely on college after this season. I don't get the impression that she's passionately committed to skating even this year (I'm not basing that assumption off anything terribly tangible, just that college seems to be a big draw for her.)

I have no idea. She's said nothing to the extent of quiting after nationals. But if that's what she wants to do, so be it. Mounting a comeback is really bitter and tearful work. She must feel so frustrated with herself right now. If she decides it's too much stress and school will make her happy, I support her.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don't dislike Polina but the fact that that program is one that's considered a challenger for an Olympic spot doesn't say anything good about the state of the US ladies...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I expected more from Polina by this point in the season. Assuming she doesn't have a reliable 3Lz or 3F yet, her LP is probably going to be....not good. I don't think going to college full time is ideal for making the Olympics.

I think that if Polina knew a year ago how wide open the field would be in the US for Olympic spots, she might have prepared with more intensity.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just spent some time on YouTube and came across an exhibition to LaLaLand by Polina. Why isn't she using this music it is charming. She has the dance and skating skills to really make it swing.

https://youtu.be/HPob7YZW-pI

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just spent some time on YouTube and came across an exhibition to LaLaLand by Polina. Why isn't she using this music it is charming. She has the dance and skating skills to really make it swing.

https://youtu.be/HPob7YZW-pI

This skate makes her look much more in shape and more lively than the plodding of the current sp and fs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This skate makes her look much more in shape and more lively than the plodding of the current sp and fs.

I agree...Wow!! See, she still has it, she's just got to keep herself together under pressure and she'll be ok. That was a great clip, Thank You!!!