2017 JGPF Ladies SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 JGPF Ladies SP

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kostornaya and Kihira are the most refined girls. My two best programs.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Regarding today's calls: Sofia got a ! on her lutz, and it was deserved. Panenkova got a ! on her flip, but I don't think it was deserved, honestly I don't see a lip there. Kostornaia on the other hand takes off her lutz on a flat edge and should get a ! like in past gps, but didn't get anything here. She hides it very well.

Grin

Medalist
These young ladies were like a fresh air to me, 6 beautiful performances. I wish politicians keep their dirty hands away from sports in general (and from figure skating in particular)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that Rika and Sofia had an exact tie on PCS score. They stood out as being noticably slower and especially on the steps and transitions but both had some nice quality movements and choreography that more than made up for it. Not much really to complain about here...all the skaters pretty much hit it and were able to showcase their strengths in different ways. Not the type of event where your favorite program will win but instead the execution of the elements and steps. That’s all good in my book.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Interesting that Rika and Sofia had an exact tie on PCS score. They stood out as being noticably slower and especially on the steps and transitions but both had some nice quality movements and choreography that more than made up for it. Not much really to complain about here...all the skaters pretty much hit it and were able to showcase their strengths in different ways. Not the type of event where your favorite program will win but instead the execution of the elements and steps. That’s all good in my book.

The one thing to complain about is Tarakanova's PCS being in that same ballpark. She's a much stronger skater than either. And she even got lvl 4 steps.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one thing to complain about is Tarakanova's PCS being in that same ballpark. She's a much stronger skater than either. And she even got lvl 4 steps.

I actually didn’t mind seeing it...Rika has good qualities too. They are just different and the judges recognized their differences in the marks pretty well IMO but I love Tarakanova so if you wanna throw her more points I’m all for it. :)

readernick

Medalist
Kostornaya and Kihira are the most refined girls. My two best programs.

I agree. Those two girls have a special quality that I really appreciate. They aren't frantic in their movements it is likely because they are more mature. All the girls were amazing though :)I hope they all nail their long programs. Especially Rika, her Japanese Junior Nationals performance was amazing. The best junior long program of the year (in my humble opinion) 3A 3T 2T and a single 3Al and she did not sacrifice on the performance quality. I hope we see something similar here.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
The best figure skating competition (SP) I have ever witnessed.

Unpopular opinion here but I find Tarakanova the best. Everything in her program clicked right here, even some of the awkwardness (notice her flailing arms during sit spin) seem to be telling of the story of a girl losing it in a mental breakdown. She is like a wild fire that is raw and powerful... and the most unique. Her spins are quite commanding too.

There is also something about Panenkova. Although robotic at times, her jumping technique is brilliant. I must say she has the saddest eyes I have ever seen from a performer, like within her, there is a fragile soul waiting to be discovered. If she is able to channel that properly in her program, she has the potential to be more likeable and popular.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Just now finished watching the SP and... This was the best SP competition! All the girls are just amazing, not one fall, not one major mistake, just perfection from all of them!
We all have our favorites, of course(mine is Kihira), but I don't really mind how this will end up. They are all so different and incredible and extremely talented. :love:
Best ladies competition ever!!!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Okay, I've finally watched this, and I... have a lot of thoughts.
1) Great job to all the skaters for being so effortlessly clean and engaging! Best event in a loooong time!
2) What great dresses these girls have! I particularly like Sasha's, Alenka's, Nastya's, and Dasha's the best.
3) PLEASE ladies try to work on your step levels. You are all so good and don't need to be losing points on step levels!!

Sofia:
What a charming program! I love watching this and I love seeing her singing along! Little forced on the combo, not sure why that got a full GOE point after factoring. Beautiful axel, and yeah, I think that the ! call on the lutz was correct. I agree with her score.

Daria:
I really like this program, and I may be in the minority for this. Her dress is great, I like the vocals, I like her performance. I don't think she deserved a ! call on her flip, and that hurt her combo GOE. It still should have been higher; that was a fantastic combo. Her lutz got nice GOE, though. Why so little GOE on the axel?? It was quite good and had an arm variation, with transitions and flow... Also her step sequence was moved up to Level 3, a call that I agree with. I think she lost a bit of points PCS wise, though. I would have put her at mid-67 range.

Rika:
Nice program, a little bland compared to the passion and intensity of the Russian ladies. She's improved a lot since last year, and I agree with her score.

Anastasia:
Wowwwww!! This program gets better and better every time! I love her intensity, her passion, and her focus. She did lose points compared to the others for having her triple-triple in the first half, but that was a smart move because her flip's not her best jumps. That insane lutz and the exit impresses me every time! I would have put her at about the top end of 69; I think her PCS was about 2 pts. too low.

Alena:
A charming, mature, and sophisticated program from Alena, complete with wonderful jumps and superb spins and steps. Her combo is gorgeous and she could put an arm variation on her flip if she wanted and felt comfortable with it, that's how good her jumps are. A very deserved world record, albeit for twenty minutes only. I'm very much looking forward to her free.

Alexandra:
That was incredible. There's no other way to say it. Ted's reaction to her combo is mine as well! And her cantilever is so impressive, but then she goes and takes it into a rippon triple lutz. THAT is awe-inspiring. I know a lot of people don't like the music, but if you don't think about where it's from, it fits her program well. And she's got a beautiful dress. Best of luck in the free with the quad salchow!!

xabia

On the Ice
No child should skate to Big Spender, just saying ...

Totally agree. Whatever were her coaches thinking of? To ask a prepubescent child to skate to music which says "let me show you a good time" is irresponsible and frankly shocking.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Totally agree. Whatever were her coaches thinking of? To ask a prepubescent child to skate to music which says "let me show you a good time" is irresponsible and frankly shocking.

I don't think they were thinking too much about lyrics, etc. Just a music(tempo) itself is a good match for Sasha's skills.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't really watch Junior skating, But i saw the scores in the junior ladies here and
was intrigued to see what Eteri is brewing over there at her rink :laugh:

Very impressive indeed, But i have to ask:

Why do you think the judges went with Trusova over Kostornaia?

It seemed like kostornaia's spins are more interesting, Her jumps a tad better,
Her overall flow more appealing Plus, And i don't mean to sound derogatory,
But she wasn't a 13 year old skating to "Big Spender"
She had music she could actually believably interpret

russianfan

Match Penalty
I don't really watch Junior skating, But i saw the scores in the junior ladies here and

Well their difference almost entirely comes from TES, and this is where Trusova obviously stronger - her technical content is insane. Regarding PCS, well for me they seem deserved(i don't care about song lyrics), but Kostornaya probably should've been a little bit higher than Trusova in PCS, with Trusova still being first overall. But that's just my opinion.

madison

Record Breaker

I wouldn't say that Kostornaya's jumps are better on the contrary (And I think she has also an edge issue on the lutz even if she wasn't called here)
But I agree that she's better on all other aspects. Overall I enjoyed her performance more than Trusova's. That short program is really very, very good.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Well their difference almost entirely comes from TES, and this is where Trusova obviously stronger - her technical content is insane. Regarding PCS, well for me they seem deserved(i don't care about song lyrics), but Kostornaya probably should've been a little bit higher than Trusova in PCS, with Trusova still being first overall. But that's just my opinion.

The only "obvious strength" Trusova has over Kostornaia is a triple loop imo