2017 JGPF Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2017 JGPF Ladies SP

skatenewbie

Medalist
This was a whole new level of inflation just like WTT 2017.... i agree that they are so skilled but everything get +2/3 GOEs is too generous and also that generous PCS... first time anyone get 30 in JGP, i guess next year 8 won't be uncommon in JGP. i agree that Trusova and Kostornaia should get near 70 or like 70/71 at max, but almost 72 and 73 is too much. Also i don't understand why Rika got so low in PCS, she should be getting 29 at least if Trusova and Kostornaia get 30

Artemisa

Final Flight
Congrats to all the girls they were simply amazing... and all great competicion needs a Ted is back :yahoo:

About the girls:
Rika KIHIRA --> she is so sweet and she didn't got "frighted" by the russian squad
Now to the russian squad:
Anastasia TARAKANOVA--> I just love the way that girl skates ... and the hug with eteri after her short
Daria PANENKOVA --> I'm becoming to like her program
Alena KOSTORNAIA --> The girl has champion material, a confidence
Sofia SAMODUROVA --> I love her program and music
Alexandra TRUSOVA --> best of the two worlds: techical and artistic

They all perfect in her one way

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hmm, Rika's not even close in PCS, really. The only issue I have with her PCS is that it should be about 2 points below Tarakanova's. Whichever way you go with that doesn't matter so much.

Trusova's transitions here for example - See the one after the 2A for example, that's not very easy to do staying on one foot after landing. The one before the... first spin, I believe? I really liked that too. I think even Trusova's inter was above Rika's in addition to the obvious stuff like performance, transitions etc., though perhaps Kostornaya should have had about 1 more PCS in comparison to Trusova.

treeloving

Medalist
For me Alena pcs is better than everyone by a mile, she is like junior Kostner. Even young Kostner didn't have the same refinement that Alena has now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
. Also i don't understand why Rika got so low in PCS, she should be getting 29 at least if Trusova and Kostornaia get 30

Really?? She is noticeably slower and lacked the execution in the movements compared to this field and especially the two you mentioned. TBH...if she had skated later I think we may have seen her scores suffer a bit more. Don’t get me wrong though ...Rika was great and deserves to be right in the thick of things but she isn’t as overall impressive as the top two who have a slight edge over her in nearly every component. I think the judges were spot on.

I actually prefer Tarakanova to Rika in presentation but the judges did a good job awarding their very different strengths. They gave Nastya the edge in SS and TR for her blistering speed and use of difficult steps and deep edges throughout her program. Look at her transitions for example because she utilized her Skating Skills throughout the movements without a hint of hesitation. Go back and watch her deep use of edge out of each jump and how her SS compliment and add to each element. They gave Rika the nod in Performance and Composition for her attention to detail and ability to use the music to accent her movements. She did well and I applaud her courage to go out and skate first. We always hear people say they’d love to see a skater go to Russian Nationals and compete...well...in a way Rika sort of is doing it and doing it admirably.

To me it’s cool how two very different skaters can get similar scores and the marks clearly reflect those differences. In the end the scores were pretty similar for the two but the variance of styles were noticeable when you look study the judges individual marks. That’s realig cool to see. I would have scored Tarakanova higher on my scoresheet but the judges are not out of line here and when factoring several opinions my preferences are irrelevant.

This was a whole new level of inflation

It’s reflective of the level of skating we are seeing though. Ted’s been doing this for years and even he said he’d never seen a junior field that was so talented and able to deliver such high quality elements. Go back a few seasons and watch the entire group of a JGPF for comparison. I’ve only watched Juniors closely since 2012 but this field is the highest quality I’ve ever seen. I predict this SP event will be better than the seniors probably :laugh:

skatenewbie

Medalist
well imo she does slower and russian girls have more transitions etc, but her IN scores should be higher, also PE and maybe CO too.. the gap between Kostornaia & Trusova with Taraknova is also too big, both Tarakanova and Kihira should get 29 at least. also even though they are better than JGP seasons ago but +2/3 in ALL elements accross the board is too much, including spins and also 2A. i agree that Trusova and Kostornaia 3-3 and solo triple is good with rippons etc, but 2A is so-so and not all spins is worth 2/3 GOE....

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well imo she does slower and russian girls have more transitions etc, but her IN scores should be higher, also PE and maybe CO too.. the gap between Kostornaia & Trusova with Taraknova is also too big, both Tarakanova and Kihira should get 29 at least. also even though they are better than JGP seasons ago but +2/3 in ALL elements accross the board is too much, including spins and also 2A. i agree that Trusova and Kostornaia 3-3 and solo triple is good with rippons etc, but 2A is so-so and not all spins is worth 2/3 GOE....

Lol...Trusova kinda gives us dud spins sometimes. Come on girl...Tarakanova even figured out how to make the butt spin look interesting.

https://youtu.be/mE9IXqb4wXs?t=2m44s

I never noticed how well she executed each position change on the accent of the music right up until she slips back into her straight jacket.

Highest scoring spin of the night by the way :laugh:

Alright...your turn now...link me a Rika highlight moment to drool over :love:

skatenewbie

Medalist
Lol...Trusova kinda gives us dud spins sometimes. Come on girl...Tarakanova even figured out how to make the butt spin look interesting.

https://youtu.be/mE9IXqb4wXs?t=2m44s

I never noticed how well she executed each position change on the accent of the music right up until she slips back into her straight jacket.

Highest scoring spin of the night by the way :laugh:

Alright...your turn now...link me a Rika highlight moment to drool over :love:
for me Rika's highlight is her StSq haha, her jumps was not the best today esp her 3Lz but lovely 2A as usual. i like Kostornaia sit spin, she mantain good speed even after change position, but her CCoSp get 1.29 GOE even though it was not special except that circus position (last position she held). i think Trusova and Kostornaia is the best, i still stands with Rika and Tarakanova PCS should be 29 or 28 close to 29. Rika gave more maturity and interpretation while Tarakanova is explosive and has her own style. Trusova gave the best explosive performance (because of music choice too) while Kostornaia also mature.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Watched this last night and what a fantastic competition! Kudos to all the ladies - nerves of steel, great job! My favorite was Kostornaia, but really enjoyed them all!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So with the same level of skating, i think that we can expect 64- 65 PCS for Trusova and Kostornaya. Just hope that Kihira and Tarakanova won't be too much lowballed. At least 60.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am so glad that I stayed up and watched the competition live. It is a much better competition than senior on multiple levels:
1. four of the six girls are first year competing;
2. Every SP is unique, no real warhorse music, and innovative to some degree;
3. Factors like reputation, or "body of work" play little role here;
4. Everyone skated clean.
Most of them are skating beyond their ages; Alena is so polished and is on the same level as, or even better than top senior ladies. Interpretation wise, Daria is on the weak side, and Rika is soft of average. All other girls demonstrated very strong musicality. Again, even better than most top senior ladies.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Wow, just watched this amazing competition. What a power! Surprisingly adequate scoring - no preference to a Japanese skater. I would agree with the placements - may be would tune scores a bit:

1-2 Trusova/Kostornaya with 73. This 2 girls showed the best junior SP performances ever. Alena is the overall killing package. Her pcs should be above everybody else, Trusova included. 32 sounds about right. What she should have gained in pcs she lost in StSq3 and not having out of this world 3F3Lo. So, I would say it's a draw.

3 Tarakanova with 70. She delivered as well. Amazing program and what a big personality for such a young lady! I would give her 31 pcs.

4. - 6. Kihira, Panenkova, Samodurova with 65 They were all good. But they are not at the same level with top 3 Eteri girls.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep going back and watching all the skates from last night. One thing that really stood out was Sasha's transition from big spender into jumping jack. Watch how she nails the 3f-3lo right into steps and then she transitions into the 3z via a well executed cantilever. Note the speed she gains from the crossovers into the cantilever. She gains so much speed and momentum and transfers it into her edges and even adds noticeable interpretation. When she lands the 3z it is as if she was already going directly into the choreography of jumping jack. The whole jumping pass has choreographical intent that compliments the music. This is why her scores are so high. She's attacking on so many fronts at the same time. The transitions include solid steps that also utilize her interpretation and mastery of the technical goods. I've time stamped the video to 1:44...watch it again and focus on how well she is boosting every PCS mark while showing the brilliance of the Composition.

https://youtu.be/RzPudHrgCSE?t=1m44s

Leonardo

Final Flight
I keep going back and watching all the skates from last night. One thing that really stood out was Sasha's transition from big spender into jumping jack. Watch how she nails the 3f-3lo right into steps and then she transitions into the 3z via a well executed cantilever. Note the speed she gains from the crossovers into the cantilever. She gains so much speed and momentum and transfers it into her edges and even adds noticeable interpretation. When she lands the 3z it is as if she was already going directly into the choreography of jumping jack. The whole jumping pass has choreographical intent that compliments the music. This is why her scores are so high. She's attacking on so many fronts at the same time. The transitions include solid steps that also utilize her interpretation and mastery of the technical goods. I've time stamped the video to 1:44...watch it again and focus on how well she is boosting every PCS mark while showing the brilliance of the Composition.

https://youtu.be/RzPudHrgCSE?t=1m44s

Yeah. At first I thought her score was too high in comparison to Kostornaia, but then going element by element and watching the details she actually deserved her score. Her skating forces the judges to give +2 or +3 to every element and the pcs are much better now. Very well judged event, btw.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Why didn't she throw the 3A in the short?

I think Juniors need to have a 2A in the SP. And she can't do a 2A AND a 3A. (I don't know where I read that, but I think that's the rule).

(someone will soon correct me if I'm wrong) :laugh: