I, Tonya | Page 8 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

anyanka

Record Breaker
Question: does the real Tonya get any money from that film?

Good question. I think she would have had to sell the life rights to her story, at the very least. As for any profit sharing, if there is any, it's not public knowledge, not at this time. She's not listed as a producer.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
The film itself was nominated for Best Picture - musical or comedy
this divisions into Drama & this makes me roll my eyes most of the time

isnt it Drama?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm not sure whether I can ask this here or not (I'm quite awkward as to Internet rules and so) but: is there a streaming link where I can watch it yet?

kimi492

Final Flight
A little off topic, but does anyone know if there is video of Tonya skating somewhat recently? I remember someone saying on here they had seen her at the rink doing huge double axels - I can't seem to find anything past the 90s

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I'm not sure whether I can ask this here or not (I'm quite awkward as to Internet rules and so) but: is there a streaming link where I can watch it yet?
Im a fan of pirated stuff but I havent seen it yet :laugh:
Usually for awards films there are often screeners sent out to critics/voters & then someone uploads them online ;)

Its released here in January so I can go to the theater & not dl it
I hope skating is filmed great & worthy of a big screen experience

btw the dubbed title here is :rolleye: its probably will go under **** on this forum cause it contains a b word :laugh:

cmk

Rinkside
She did sell her life rights so the movie could be made. Margot Robbie said Tonya isn't sharing in the profits. The producers also paid Jeff for his, and wanted to pay LaVona but couldn't find her. Inside Edition did find LaVona after the movie was completed.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Margot Robbie and Allison Janney just got nominated for a Screen actors guild award,
Combined with their Golden globe nominations
It is very likely that "I, Tonya" is going to the oscars

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
this divisions into Drama & this makes me roll my eyes most of the time

isnt it Drama?

I, Tonya is mostly a comedy, and not a great one. It does offer a perspective that not everyone will have considered, but should have been more complex and convincing, and without the cheap and repetitive gags that are used. There has never been a great film with an ice skating theme, so I could possibly call this one the overall best ever, but that's such a low bar that it's not very high praise.

Also worth checking out is this little seen French film about a young male skater, it's decent and one of the most realistic - http://imdb.com/title/tt0304363/

millie

Medalist
That was a sad time for figure skating....Tonya was the underdog and and under so much pressure. Nancy got all the attention and Tonya was always fighting for the spotlight. In my opinion, watching all this go down in the media, was hard to watch. Tonya was driven by fame and pressure and acceptance in her sport. I think that it all got to her and she was pressured into doing things that she was sorry for...This is a hard sport if you are not beautiful and feminine. My opinion....

Manitou

Medalist
..This is a hard sport if you are not beautiful and feminine. My opinion....

I don't know much about her femininity, but Tonya was actually really pretty. Much prettier than Nancy. Way prettier. Before the incident I really liked her. She would have been successful if she had not done that idiotic thing. BTW, Jeff Gillooly, or whatever the spelling was, used to have a tanning saloon in a walking distance from my home.
Anyway, Nancy was never my fave, either before and after the incident, I was going for Oksana and Josee back then. American trailer trash dramas never attracted me.

JustMe

On the Ice
Choosing to create a film based solely on contradicting testimonies was rather clever because it instantly allowed the director to reveal the absurdity of it all (the fact that Tonya Harding, and the incident, happened to the sport of figure skating, Shaun Eckhardt's delusion, Tonya's mom, and the media frenzy that followed the incident, etc). It is this "absurdity lens" that allows the film to progress and conclude. How else can a director present this film if not as a dark comedy/drama? And like most dark comedies, many viewers don't consider the "dark" elements comedic, but instead horrific (like the domestic violence). Now, if this were a film told through Nancy Kerrigan's point of view, it definitely would NOT be a dark comedy, lol. And even if Tonya admitted she plotted or had prior awareness of the attack, it wouldn't have made a difference to the effectiveness of the film, because in the end, who cares? She's lived the past (almost) quarter century, almost half of her life, like a guilty person anyways. I don't think you can dislike Tonya any more, but after this film, you might dislike her a little less. Just my 2 cents.

For what it's worth the actress who plays Tonya was on Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest (U.S. talk show) this morning, plugging the film. She said she enjoyed meeting the real Tonya in preparing for the role.

Barb

Record Breaker
there are great and inspiring stories in Figure skating and this is the story chosen to be told on the big screen and with oscar potential nominations? :eek:hwell:. Well, it's a good thing anyway to have a decent movie about figure skating.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Saw the press release of I Tonya in Boston two days ago! Was an interesting take on the story. It was interesting tosee the story laid out from start to finish.

da96103

Record Breaker
People wanted to be sympathetic to Nancy, but darn it, she didn't make it easy. Remember her, ahem, not entirely successful endorsement with Disney after winning her silver medal?.

Give me Tonya's redemption story any day.

The newsman said "Icy Nancy" :laugh2:

How come she did not looked happy? She just won the Olympic Silver Medal.

She must be so sheltered and did not know how the world works. And Disney paid her 2 million for this.

No wonder sponsors in US are running away from Figure Skating and endorse other sports instead,

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think Nancy was probably dealing some latent feelings and mental issues relating to the trauma from being the target of a conspiracy and an assault and battery. Not to mention having to deal with incredible amount of media attention and scrutiny with people projecting roles onto her that she didn't feel comfortable with or weren't true (ice princess, icy, spoiled, rich, etc.) that she didn't have time to properly deal with because she was just focused on recovering and training for the Olympics right after her attack. It probably started coming out in small ways and then in bigger ways during and after the Olympics. Nancy also didn't seem fully comfortable with all the media attention anyway and would rather just skate, compete, and live her life...which is pretty much what she did after her pro days (which also didn't paint her in the best way possible at times due to her professionalism).

No wonder sponsors in US are running away from Figure Skating and endorse other sports instead,

Figure skaters tend to get a lot of big time endorsements right before the Olympics. That tends to be how it works these days.