2017-2018 Team China update | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Team China update

bestolen

Rinkside
For the past few years, I have been going on about the way that Chinese Pairs skater Xie Zhong has been going through partners like nobody's business. And about how he had a good one a few years ago, but ditched her. And about how it was a big mistake, and that he should have stuck with her.

Zhang Mingyang / Xie Zhong: 2012 National Winter Games SP

Well, last week we saw that former partner, Zhang Mingyang, make her Senior GP debut at the Cup of China with her new partner, Song Bowen. And they did not disgrace themselves.

Zhang Mingyang / Song Bowen: 2017 Cup Of China SP

But what I found extra fascinating was that one of their coaches is another good Pairs skater who had disappeared without trace a few years back: Zhang Tianci, who was Peng Cheng's partner before she was paired up with Zhang Hao.

Peng Cheng / Zhang Tianci: 2012 National Winter Games SP

When I saw Mingyang and Tianci sitting together waiting for the results, it struck me how alike they are. And it started me wondering - are they by any chance siblings?

So, does anybody know if they are indeed related?

CaroLiza_fan

Never heard that they are sibling.
Zhang Tianci is the choreographer of team Luan Bo.
I think that is the reason he was in K&C.

By the way,last year some Chinese fans were very angry about Zhang Hao.
He was considered whom destroyed two promising pairs,Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang ang Peng Cheng/Zhang Tianci.

yqs100

On the Ice

He was considered whom destroyed two promising pairs,Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang ang Peng Cheng/Zhang Tianci.

Fans are too drama, I believe all these partner change the Fed did is to strength the team rather than benefit individual athelete, and result tell itself. Peng/Jin look greater potential than before, and Yu/ Jin seems match more in style

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Thanks for the reply. So, Zhang Tianci was there as a choreographer rather than as a coach. The graphic didn't make that clear.

As for the question, I was just curious because we hear hardly anything about what is going on in Chinese skating. So we don't know about what connections there may or may not be.

Fans are too drama, I believe all these partner change the Fed did is to strength the team rather than benefit individual athelete, and result tell itself. Peng/Jin look greater potential than before, and Yu/ Jin seems match more in style

Isn't that always the case? That fans are too much drama. :laugh:

Personally, I thought it was very unfair for people to be blaming Zhang Hao himself for everything. Big decisions like this are not done individually - they have to involve lots of people. But, I'm probably biased as I was a big fan of Zhang Hao / Zhang Dan.

Have to be honest, I wasn't familiar with the Peng Cheng / Zhang Tianci partnership when they were actually together. It was only a couple of years after she teamed up with Zhang Hao that I found out about him, when somebody on here started discussing her background.

As for the most recent switcheroo, I had my doubts at the time as the existing partnerships were very good. But the new partnerships have turned out to be even better.

I'm just happy that all four of them (Peng Cheng, Zhang Hao, Yu Xiaoyu, Jin Yang) are still competing at the top level.

It's just a pity that the same isn't the case for Zhang Tianci. But, hey, he seems to be doing alright for himself in his current role working with Luan Bo.

CaroLiza_fan

bobbob

Medalist
10 years ago, this kind of frequent partner switching amongst chinese teams would be unheard of--one of the strengths of Chinese pairs skating (and why Sui/Han and even Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong were so amazing) its the longevity of its teams from a young age. Now that pairs skating is growing as a thing in China, though, there are more and more partner options and switchups going on, which may be detrimental overall.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, I checked out how Mingyang and Tianci look. For me, they don't look like each other at all.

For the past few years, I have been going on about the way that Chinese Pairs skater Xie Zhong has been going through partners like nobody's business. And about how he had a good one a few years ago, but ditched her. And about how it was a big mistake, and that he should have stuck with her.

Zhang Mingyang / Xie Zhong: 2012 National Winter Games SP

Well, last week we saw that former partner, Zhang Mingyang, make her Senior GP debut at the Cup of China with her new partner, Song Bowen. And they did not disgrace themselves.

Zhang Mingyang / Song Bowen: 2017 Cup Of China SP

But what I found extra fascinating was that one of their coaches is another good Pairs skater who had disappeared without trace a few years back: Zhang Tianci, who was Peng Cheng's partner before she was paired up with Zhang Hao.

Peng Cheng / Zhang Tianci: 2012 National Winter Games SP

When I saw Mingyang and Tianci sitting together waiting for the results, it struck me how alike they are. And it started me wondering - are they by any chance siblings?

So, does anybody know if they are indeed related?

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Out of curiosity, I checked out how Mingyang and Tianci look. For me, they don't look like each other at all.

This is going to sound really weird. But, a lot of my judgement was based on their noses.

Most of the time, you can tell people are related by the shape of their faces. But sometimes it is something smaller and less obvious that can indicate being family. Like noses or ears.

As you alluded to, Mingyang and Tianci have very different shapes of faces. But their noses are exactly the same. And that was what started me wondering.

Alternatively, I might just be going mad! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

yqs100

On the Ice
Paving the way to the olympics, update from team China:

1) Sui/ Han will invite Zhang Yimou to polish their free program from artistic perspective, Mr Zhang is a movie director, and also the director for the Beijing olympics opening, he also directed the opera “Turando” in the forbidden city.

2) Jin Boyang is back on track, the injury is almost fully recovered.

3) this week is the Chinese national, most athletes will attend except Sui/ Han. And finally Wang/ Wang are recovered from injuries, will have their season’s debut.

4) Team China including Jin Boyang, Sui/Han, Yu/Zhang May attend next year’s 4CC which will be held in Taipei on 23-27 Jan.

Spinning

On the Ice
Sui/ Han will invite Zhang Yimou to polish their free program from artistic perspective, Mr Zhang is a movie director, and also the director for the Beijing olympics opening, he also directed the opera “Turando” in forbidden city.

:love: wow...they're going for the kill! Zhang Yimou is my favourite visual artist. I love his less renowned films like Not One Less and The Road Home.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
:love: wow...they're going for the kill! Zhang Yimou is my favourite visual artist. I love his less renowned films like Not One Less and The Road Home.

Completely off topic, but I love this movie too! I'm excited to see what changes they make to their FS. Seems like they know what they're doing; I'm curious to see who will attend 4CC

Eclair

Medalist

1) Sui/ Han will invite Zhang Yimou to polish their free program from artistic perspective, Mr Zhang is a movie director, and also the director for the Beijing olympics opening, he also directed the opera “Turando” in the forbidden city.

3) this week is the Chinese national, most athletes will attend except Sui/ Han. And finally Wang/ Wang are recovered from injuries, will have their season’s debut.

4) Team China including Jin Boyang, Sui/Han, Yu/Zhang May attend next year’s 4CC which will be held in Taipei on 23-27 Jan.
I hope Sui/han have spoken with Lori about that. It would be really disrespectful to ask someone else polish another choreographer work without their consent. Like David Wilson once said, he would never 'polish' or 'mingle' with another choreographer's work.

Also, didn't Boyang pull out of nationals too? As well as Zijun. And I thought Han Yan was first scheduled to go to another competition but now is back on the national's entry list?

Nirti

Medalist

Wang/Wang are scheduled to compete at EduSport Trophy in january!
I think the 2nd pair is Yu/Zhang, cuz YU XiaoYu/WANG XueHan would be a bit curious :unsure:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

All in bold are great news!

yqs100

On the Ice
I hope Sui/han have spoken with Lori about that. It would be really disrespectful to ask someone else polish another choreographer work without their consent. Like David Wilson once said, he would never 'polish' or 'mingle' with another choreographer's work.

Also, didn't Boyang pull out of nationals too? As well as Zijun. And I thought Han Yan was first scheduled to go to another competition but now is back on the national's entry list?

You worried too much. That’s the basic rule Coach zhao won’t break.

yqs100

On the Ice
Besides getting help from Zhang Yimou from artistic perspective, Technically Sui/Han have been practicing quad throw since the beginning of this season, and this element looks more and more stable now in practice.

Also Yu/ Zhang may add the quad twist back in the program later this season

Can’t wait to see Chinese Pairs in the olympics!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Besides getting help from Zhang Yimou from artistic perspective, Technically Sui/Han have been practicing quad throw since the beginning of this season, and this element looks more and more stable now in practice.

:( I want them healthy & clean. The quad throw helped them with neither and didn't help them win in 2016. Nor did Savchenko & Massot's messy jumps help them throughout the past two seasons. Nor did Shen & Zhao's risky throw help them in 2002. I was hoping China was past pushing their top teams into risking huge & distracting mistakes in the middle of their programs. S&Z were far more successful after they took out the impossible throw. And Sui & Han have been the same.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States

Also Yu/ Zhang may add the quad twist back in the program later this season

Can’t wait to see Chinese Pairs in the olympics!

If they're really considering the 4Th I hope there's a chance they can try it out in competition before the Olympics... It's been such a hit-or-miss element, it seems so risky

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

He is also phenomenal in visualy presenting martial arts. So he can surely help with some acrobatic elements and movements look better :agree: