Head Scratching Programs | Golden Skate

Head Scratching Programs

SmallAminal

On the Ice
What are some of the programs that have you totally scratching your head?

With the release of "I, Tonya", I am reminded of her "People are Still Having Sex" program....all I have to say is THANK GOD it was before you were allowed to include vocals in the music.

abbyar

Spectator
I saw I, Tonya last night, and was impressed with the editing and transformation of Robbie.

What I was not impressed by was the lack of knowledge of whoever chose the shot for the slow mo landing of the triple Axel. It shows her under-rotating the Axel and a spray of snow as she finishes the rotation. Why did the director choose that shot? Was it the only *good* landing? The reviews I've read of it is that neither stunt double could land a triple (of course) so they spliced together shots of many double Axels to come up with the look of the triple. If they had so many shots, why did they show a landing that was under-rotated? I found that tidbit annoying. The other piece: that anyone could do this and that they could do it on a waitress's salary. Today, anyone would be extremely hard pressed to find the money for proper training, forget the expensive costumes. They alluded to it slightly (that her coach was maybe not charging as much?) but still didn't go into details on the extreme expense of the sport.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, one program that makes me wonder what on earth they were thinking was that one FS by Laurine Lecavalier that they luckily did change halfway through the season.

Kinga

Medalist
Well, one program that makes me wonder what on earth they were thinking was that one FS by Laurine Lecavalier that they luckily did change halfway through the season.

Did she change that FS? Goooood.
Speaking of: another weird M. Monroe program: Ksenia Makarova FS from 2011-2012 season .

Weathergal

Medalist
The bizarre music cuts in Karina Manta / Joseph Johnson's FD. Even Charlie White, who is tremendously positive and encouraging toward developing skaters, talked quite a bit about how bad it is and how it isn't doing them any favors. It features Moulin Rouge songs chopped seemingly randomly, even changing in the middle of a step sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efAnl2kc6c&t=8s

rlopen

On the Ice
I'm not gonna lie but knowing the context behind Medvedeva's program last year still doesn't sit right with me (although the program itself was fine). But actually downright head-scratching programs were the aboriginal program at Vancouver, Makarova's Marilyn Monroe program, Tarasova and Morozov's candy man skate, just the bizarre difference of halves in Mae Berenice's FS this season, Da Bin's mama I'm a big girl now made me very uncomfortable watching it especially paired with the costume, I didn't find it head-scratching but Jimmy Ma's turn down for what short program had Johnny and Tara very confused. Also, while I liked it, I didn't get the point with Alena pairing Harley Quinn with something upbeat like it's Oh So Quiet (and I get it can be creepily upbeat like Harley...but Oh So Quiet isn't creepily upbeat like that IMO.) Also while I loved Kuchvalska's performance at Euros she weirdly put Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet and El Tango de Roxanne into a program.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I still shake my head at Domnina & Shabalin's "Aboriginal" Folk original dance. It was such a farcical caricature of actual Aboriginal culture, and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to wear fugly, dark-skinned costumes. Just no...

GGFan

Record Breaker
How head scratching? Totally horrendous or just in bad taste? Because we could fill pages upon pages with discussion of old ice dance programs from the 80s and 90s.

To this day I still don't know how Bestemianova and Bukin beat Klimova and Ponomarenko with that hot mess of a free dance at the 1988 Olympics. :drama::biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker
I've mentioned this 1 before, I listen to American country music and use Youtube playlists while I'm at work, I also watch figure skating competitions on Youtube (because the TV options stink)....and it led to this beauty ending up in my Recommendations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgerUyNnpk

desertskates

Medalist
I still shake my head at Domnina & Shabalin's "Aboriginal" Folk original dance. It was such a farcical caricature of actual Aboriginal culture, and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to wear fugly, dark-skinned costumes. Just no...

I love Dabin's skating. But that program made my husband (casual observer) uncomfortable watching.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Does a program I dreamt up count? :scratch:

Yes, yes it does. And I wish to hear of this imagined programme.

My dream mess programme would include tasteless costumery with as many flesh panels as possible a la Cello Butt etc. and horrible music cuts of all the main warhorses (think POTO with Turandot with Carmen with Moulin Rouge). I would have also said a horribly unbalanced programme with loads of backloading but since that's becoming the norm, I'm thinking not...

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Tarosova/Morozov Candyman FS is without a doubt the weirdest material I've seen this season. Everything from the music to costumes does this team absolutely no justice, I don't know who and why thought this was a good idea.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The bizarre music cuts in Karina Manta / Joseph Johnson's FD. Even Charlie White, who is tremendously positive and encouraging toward developing skaters talked quite a bit about how bad it is and how it isn't doing them any favors. It features Moulin Rouge songs chopped seemingly randomly, even changing in the middle or a step sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efAnl2kc6c&t=8s

while we are in ID bandwagon...what about 'Chicago' FD from Alla Loboda/Pavel Drozd? It's a cookie-clutter taken to the next level in so many areas, musical arrangement and expression dissonance in particular...:slink:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
while we are in ID bandwagon...what about 'Chicago' FD from Alla Loboda/Pavel Drozd? It's a cookie-clutter taken to the next level in so many areas, musical arrangement and expression dissonance in particular...:slink:

Nor Manta/Johnson FD Nor Loboda/Drozd FD can compete with Adelina Galayavieva & Laurent Abecassis FD. I cant find the video and i cant remember where i watched it, but you have some hints there - FD: Pop Hits through time: Hound Dog by Elvis Presley, Money Honey by Elvis Presley, Respect by Aretha Franklin, YounShould Be Dancing by the Bee Gees, Thriller by Michael Jackson, I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys, Can't Hold Us by Macklemore, The Shape of You by Ed Sheeran :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nor Manta/Johnson FD Nor Loboda/Drozd FD can compete with Adelina Galayavieva & Laurent Abecassis FD. I cant find the video and i cant remember where i watched it, but you have some hints there - FD: Pop Hits through time: Hound Dog by Elvis Presley, Money Honey by Elvis Presley, Respect by Aretha Franklin, YounShould Be Dancing by the Bee Gees, Thriller by Michael Jackson, I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys, Can't Hold Us by Macklemore, The Shape of You by Ed Sheeran :biggrin:

I have to boot my YT on the phone I search for it, then lament for those who made such choices in life...:palmf:, I see that there is also a competition for the worst:drama:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Yes, yes it does. And I wish to hear of this imagined programme.

My dream mess programme would include tasteless costumery with as many flesh panels as possible a la Cello Butt etc. and horrible music cuts of all the main warhorses (think POTO with Turandot with Carmen with Moulin Rouge). I would have also said a horribly unbalanced programme with loads of backloading but since that's becoming the norm, I'm thinking not...

Dream mess program: Adam Rippon skating to Turn If Off from Book Of Mormon.

Mostly because the skater and the music are so incongruous with each other.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Tarosova/Morozov Candyman FS is without a doubt the weirdest material I've seen this season. Everything from the music to costumes does this team absolutely no justice, I don't know who and why thought this was a good idea.

Patrick did a hilarious commentary on this... programe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7bGFkbtIk

I always found Tonya's Harding Jurasic Park program bit cringey. She was never the most graceful thing in the first place.... and when she did this program she was not at her fittest.

This is not from competition, it was shown on some Russia TV channel and became to known as "Holocaust on Ice" and it's the cringiest thing I have seen when it comes to figure skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FsrjBASNY&t