2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Oh dear, USFSA! :palmf: or :rofl: ?

Typical bureacracy. Paper credentials trump actual results and accomplishments. :palmf:

Brian Orser needs to prove he's a figure skating coach? :rofl:

Maybe they tried to pay him less for not being a real coach.

Ack.. I'm trying to remember. He was interviewed by TSL and Dave asked him why he didn't have any US skaters and he did say something about working with the USFGA or accreditation being the issue. Maybe someone else remembers the interview better?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I once got an infraction for discussing Yuzuru in a thread and going off topic.

Some people can't forget US Nationals. It's ok, I'm sure you guys can all form a support group.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Just reading this thread and I don't really think anyone should have expected Patrick to skate an SP at his Worlds 2017 level. Like dude had a meltdown at the end of October. Didn't even skate for a while. That he's back, even if he's falling on quads, is something else. Others in his situation have straight up retired. I know sympathy can be hard to find for Patrick for some of you but at least cut him some slack.

Yes, he still skated beautifully even with the errors. I hope his LP will be smoother.

Keegan performed excellently [shame about the popped quad] and I am rooting for Elladj, although he seems rather tense in the upper body and doesn't seem to extend his arms all the way.

So much suspense for the FS with the Canadian men!!!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Omg I just realized if Kevin had done the quad in the combo along with the triple with the same GOE, he would have been in the lead....

I really like this program for Kevin! Very good musicality throughout, you can see that he's very comfortable with it. It also does a good job at masking certain weaknesses he has. But his spins though are
miserable for this tier, and it was no different here perhaps bar 1 of them.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Tracy Wilson summed Patrick's problem up best, she said "he lost his confidence" after the Skate Canada championships. He is trying to rebuild but there is not enough time before the Olympics to bring back his old magic and the Patrick we were used to seeing out there on the blade. It's really heartbreaking. It's great that Kevin Reynolds is stepping up to plate and he's improved in his artistic abilities but he doesn't have the flare of Patrick. I think it's going to be a tough go for our male skaters at the Olympics. It's exciting though to see the wonderful new skaters that are on the horizon, like Stephen. I'm glad he has Brian Orser for his coach. I loved Elladj Balde's sp skate, it was awesome.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My thoughts. I felt so bad for Patrick. He has lost it. THe music doesn't work. It is so sad. We need to see some better skating than this. Me dialed it in and it was flat.

Kevin was okay but some basic things- better costumes and hair and he still lacks musicality. Pretty big mistake popping the quad sal.

I really liked Nam surprisingly; he has improved a lot speed, power and style. Its too bad about the lutz. I do think that he needs more power and muscle even the younger Nathan Chen has more body muscle and that might help but I see a real improvement and a real artist - if it were not for the fact Chen is a gold medal favorite I would say skating skill wise Nam was better but that is just me.

Balde was entertaining, poor Liam but he still has skating technique. I like Nadeau thoughhe skates young; he has personality programs for sure. Actually the top 7 or so men were entertaining. I still thought Chan deserved to win and the fact he threw in a triple toe to the triple lutz was impressive.

Too bad Gogolov popped the lutz still he is so so young and such promise:)

Overall nice try Canada's men! Patrick is not guaranteed his tenth title. He will have to skate for it. His pcs were not that high. He also missed a level on the step sequence.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I understand why Patrick's pcs weren't through the roof. While his skating is always a beauty, the program and his commitment to it were meh. At some point I felt like I was watching his 'journey' fs with random music tacked on

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Poor Patrick. I don't really know what to say. He didn't seem to own the ice like he used to. I swear I've seen this exact program from him but to different music. It didn't seem he was skating to Dust in the Wind, and that he was just freestyling to any random song they happened to be playing. I also don't think DITW could possibly be even remotely inspiring to skate to when he's pretty much at the end of his amateur career and barely hanging on ("Don't hang on. Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky."). It's a depressing song.

Kevin? Well, I've never enjoyed his skating, even if he lands all his quads.

Keegan. I soooo want him to make the Olympic team!

Icey

Record Breaker
Chan has been too indecisive about his training, as far as coaching goes, for too long. Maybe he should remove himself from Olympic team consideration if he can't "rebuild", as Tracy Wilson put it.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
There are not many male Ice Dancers that could skate and dance the way Patrick does. I could watch him do step sequences, crossovers and stroking all day.

His program is beautiful. Yes, he got late to the quad craze and he is personnally suffering from it. But if you enjoy figure skating for the skating part and not the competition, he is just incredible to watch. It's a rare quality. He is one of the few single skaters that should receive 9+ in skating skills.

He might not be very competitive. That's okay, nobody will take away his world titles and olympic medals. I certainly don't watch him for the jumps (in his case I couldn't care less). I hope in the years to come we'll find a male single skaters that has the lightness Patrick has on the ice.

GGFan

Record Breaker
There are not many male Ice Dancers that could skate and dance the way Patrick does. I could watch him do step sequences, crossovers and stroking all day.

His program is beautiful. Yes, he got late to the quad craze and he is personnally suffering from it. But if you enjoy figure skating for the skating part and not the competition, he is just incredible to watch. It's a rare quality. He is one of the few single skaters that should receive 9+ in skating skills.

He might not be very competitive. That's okay, nobody will take away his world titles and olympic medals. I certainly don't watch him for the jumps (in his case I couldn't care less). I hope in the years to come we'll find a male single skaters that has the lightness Patrick has on the ice.

Yes, we have to savor his skating! I would love for the world to give him a beautiful send off in Korea

moriel

Record Breaker
I think Tracy Wilson summed Patrick's problem up best, she said "he lost his confidence" after the Skate Canada championships. He is trying to rebuild but there is not enough time before the Olympics to bring back his old magic and the Patrick we were used to seeing out there on the blade. It's really heartbreaking. It's great that Kevin Reynolds is stepping up to plate and he's improved in his artistic abilities but he doesn't have the flare of Patrick. I think it's going to be a tough go for our male skaters at the Olympics. It's exciting though to see the wonderful new skaters that are on the horizon, like Stephen. I'm glad he has Brian Orser for his coach. I loved Elladj Balde's sp skate, it was awesome.

It is actually very sad about Stephen =(
Because pretty sure it is not healthy to practice so many quads at such a young age - he is what, 13,14? Will he remain healthy and able to jump when he is 17?

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like this program for Kevin! Very good musicality throughout, you can see that he's very comfortable with it. It also does a good job at masking certain weaknesses he has. But his spins though are
miserable for this tier, and it was no different here perhaps bar 1 of them.

Kevin is my guilty pleasure...there is no one else like him. His eccentricities (that hair! and his individuality) are what keep me watching even if I blanch at his weaknesses sometimes. If I wish I could've seen him in person once - Chambermiad Swing is my fave skate.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It is actually very sad about Stephen =(
Because pretty sure it is not healthy to practice so many quads at such a young age - he is what, 13,14? Will he remain healthy and able to jump when he is 17?

Only time will tell. I just wish they spent as much time on the performance side with him, because I still don't find him very engaging despite his technical talent.

Can someone catch me up... how many Olympic spots do the Canadian men have? I suppose it's a very long shot for Balde to make the team, but how beautiful that would be if it happened...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Can someone catch me up... how many Olympic spots do the Canadian men have? I suppose it's a very long shot for Balde to make the team, but how beautiful that would be if it happened...
Two, and I think that anything is possible about the second one...

slider11

Medalist
I had really hoped that Liam might make a move here. I understand he had a costume problem which might have affected his SP performance? I just love his La La Land FS. Really looking forward to that. His style on the ice is just mesmerizing.