2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS

Grin

Medalist
Of course they can ... if the jumps are scored according to what jump was actually planned and truly 'attempted' by the skater! (...Alhough, I do take your point that in theory, the Tech. panel could simply 'score' the 'lip' as a lutz, and the 'flutz' as a flip).

I watched Med quite a lot (live too), and it seems to me she has wrong or flat edge on lutz (aka flutz), but her flip edge is fine (inside edge). Same goes for Osmond (but I didn't see her live).
My point is there is no top skater who can't jump lutz from outside edge and flip from inside edge at the same time.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I watched Med quite a lot (live too), and it seems to me she has wrong or flat edge on lutz (aka flutz), but her flip edge is fine (inside edge). Same goes for Osmond (but I didn't see her live).
My point is there is no top skater who can't jump lutz from outside edge and flip from inside edge at the same time.
Speaking of which, Daleman got a ! on her flip in this FS and she flutzes.

Though, her flutz isn't that bad. But it's interesting if both of her jumps are at the ! level. Because indeed, usually both are inside or both are outside.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Very happy for Gabby! Going back to last year’s program certainly worked for her, and she celebrated her and her mother’s birthday in the best way: a national title and a ticket to the Olympics (which was guaranteed anyway but whatever)! :clap: Honestly, I’m not sure why her Rhapsody in Blue FS gets so much hate. Sure it’s kinda cheesy and is not the best program out there, but it’s fun and she gives tons of personality out there (especially during the footwork). Anyways, congrats!

Kaetlyn made a lot of costly mistakes in both programs, but this is probably the best place to do that in. I loved Kaetlyn’s reaction to the scores (she did not see that coming :laugh:)! As for this Black Swan FS, I think it’s getting better and better every time. In the first few outings, I agreed with most of you: it just didn’t work. But she made some changes for the GPF, and now I think it’s actually a pretty solid program (and much much better than Zagitova’s rushed one that never improved). Once people throw away the stereotype that only graceful people can skate to this music, they should see that this program is not bad at all.

sowcow

On the Ice

Indeed, Med clearly takes off on an (incorrect) inside edge for her (f)lutz jumps; BUT you are correct that she does take off on a (correct) inside edge for her flip jumps. [My mistake!]

I was going from memory of previously watched YouTube videos that analyzed Med's technique for her various jumps. I mistakenly recalled the videos pointing out that Med's flip jump technique caused her to take-off on an (incorrect) outside edge. However, my memory failed me on this occasion!
  • I just searched for and found one of the videos I had watched — and the flip 'error' it points out is that Med's technique causes her to excessively 'pull' the take-off edge (i.e. the take-off edge curls too far around) causing the toe-pick to be placed too far inside of the skating foot. This ultimately leads to too much rotation on take-off, poor body alignment, and typically a less controlled landing position.

[Apologies for my earlier 'misquoted' error call...]

waterblades

On the Ice
Larkyn...while she deserved the bronze here, I don't see why (Besides the fact she won bronze) they're jumping that she's going to the Olympics. It's not even official yet who will go.

Probably because Rod Black and Brian Williams didn't do their research to see that medaling isn't a given. I really hate that they keep saying it as I believe Aliane may go as she has done better internationally. I contacted all of the media people to point this out but nothing. So fustrating

waterblades

On the Ice
Why do we get all the trolls and negative comments on our boards at our nationals. Go post somewhere else. Hardly any of this on the USA national boards.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
In that case they might call Med’s, and then where would we be? Let’s call it a wash. :cool:

We would be in the right place, that's where.

Med had a ! on her Lz jumps in all but one competition last season, and this season she got an e at least once too. She should continue to be called for every e and ! So she's getting the calls. Osmond in the meantime is having a party where the panels suddenly start sightseeing the ceiling when that jump comes up.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m pretty thankful for the window into Canadian Skating afforded to us via live stream for this event. As luck would have it I was able to catch all of the ladies SP. I’ll try to catch up with the ladies FS but I’d like to give a huge thanks to all for posting throughout the day. It’s fun for me to read the reactions and PBP.

Seemed like a pretty nice event with just the right amount of drama. My only suggestion is a microphone at Ice level to capture the crowd and blade work. At least for the feed I saw it would have been nice. The music without the sound of skating felt a little sterile and disconnected. That’s a minor nitpick though. Ted is always a rock solid source of commentary and finds ways to bring us events that matter.

Congrats to Gabby!!! It was fun to learn more about the Canadian ladies and how they perform as a whole. :thank:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Thanks to the Videos Without Spoilers thread, I just watched the final group of Canadian women as it happened, without knowing the results. So I got to experience the excitement, the elation, the "oh nos," and so forth. It was a very thrilling hour!

1. Larkyn Austman. I've had my eye on her for awhile. Even when I felt she was almost, but not quite, up to expressing the emotions of her programs, there was something about her that I found compelling. It's really fun when I can watch someone bring more and more to her skating, and feel like I'm part of the journey. I felt like these two days were a real milestone in her travels. First, the SP to Mein Herr requires some maturity and flair in order to express that irony. She did that very well. I'd seen that earlier in the season from her. The FS was a different story for me; and how far she has come! That particular piece from Les Mis, with its idealistic overtones and tragic conclusion, takes some emotional range; and Larkyn almost performed that better today than she did the SP, in my opinion. It's a challenge also because it's a story song straight through. Tracey and Rod talked mostly about how much better she did the jumps than previously, so I was able to appreciate the program on that level too, without being hammered with it!

2. Kaetlyn Osmond. I'm extremely impressed with how she's been able to develop her performance of Black Swan over the season. There was much more subtlety in her response to the music than I'd seen in it before; at the same time there was more precision and overt expression of the rhythm and the accent notes. I was just absorbed in the emotion and drama of the piece and actually forgot to think about what jump was coming next. This is high praise from me! LOL. I want to be so caught up in the program and the story that the jumps are fully integrated into it. Don't think the jumps aren't important to me; they are. I love seeing jumps done beautifully, and there were examples in this skate; but also deflating examples of jumps. After she started making mistakes, I had a sinking feeling that the judges were going to inflate her marks wildly; and I feel that they did. Four perfect scores on elements? a little much IMO. But that doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed the program very much and really admire the depth that she's been able to bring to it over time.

3. Gabrielle Daleman. She's my favorite Canadian lady, so Gaby's skate just capped off my experience superbly! I loved Rhapsody in Blue last year; I felt it brought out her artistry and musicality in a way that I hadn't seen before, and I just love the passion and personality she brings to it. So needless to say, I'm extremely happy that she's reprising it. But her performance tonight was just plu-perfect. Has she ever skated it that well, even at Worlds? I don't think so. I feel that the music itself is so glorious that it can be an assist in Gaby's performance ... but at the same time there's always the danger that big music will overpower a skater. Not so with Gaby ... she skated right up to the power and exuberant ... not majesty exactly, because the composer and the piece are so exemplary of the opposite of a royal family or feeling. But akin to that quality, where you just know you're watching and experiencing something extra-ordinary. Gaby lived up to it. It was really a Herculean task, to win over Kaetlyn when the judges have been so obviously promoting her all year ... but Gaby really came through. Congratulations on your Canadian title! :yay::hap93::hap10:

I am happy for Gabrielle and a well deserved title, she had excellent programs and I am sure she will do well at the games, hopefully a podium for Canada. I am growing increasingly concerned with the direction of the sport toward the ultimate athleticism and Gabby certainly is a clear indication of where the sport is going. While her triple combo is absolutely knock it out of the park spectacular, she really doesn't do it for me, I couldn't watch her of skaters like her all day. I grow tired really quickly of watching her and by the time I hit the two minute mark I am back to Facebook bored. I feel the same with Evgenia but truly enjoyed some of the young Russian Juniors which proves that it is possible to get that balance right. I don't think Gabby is capable of it, she is so over the top in her makeup, her attire, her personality and it doesn't makeup for the absence of artistry.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yasss congrats Gabby!!!!! :clap:

Good skate by Osmond but she needed a loss to motivate her and Gabby is now back in the Olympic medal convo. :)

Alaine deserves the spot Baes on BOW but Austman was way more solid. They should duke it out at 4CC for the 3rd spot.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also... This is outrageous! Canada needs to give its 3rd spot to Japan!!!! Why aren't they giving up their 3rd spot and allowing another country to have it? It's soooooo unfaaaaaaiiiiiirrrrr!

:laugh:

abbykitty

Rinkside
wow, super impressed with how hard Gabby slayed this competition! really thought Kaetlyn was an easy win here, but obviously Gabby doesn't back down so easily. putting together 2 back to back brilliant, clean, and exciting programs at nationals after having major surgery just a few months ago, a subpar grand prix series, and pneumonia/strep throat on top of everything this week just goes to show how ferocious she truly is. definitely one of the best female competitors Canada has ever had...we need more ladies with her fighting spirit and mental toughness under pressure. I've seen her training some beautiful 3Lz-3Ts and 2A-3Ts, so I wonder if she was holding back here for health reasons....and maybe saving the quad toe and new FS layout for Olympics?

Kaetlyn was gorgeous and the first half of her program was brilliant...but the mistake on the 3Loop keeps coming back to haunt her, and ruins the flow of her program. she should consider switching the order of the 3Loop and 3F to see if that helps. changing the 2A to before the step seq was a good move, and her step sequence keeps getting better and better. also, she needs to take lessons from Gabby and Ashley Wagner on how to be more flirty in the first half, and give more crazy fierce diva eyes in the 2nd half. despite the errors though, the quality of everything she does is top notch and she never gives up even when she makes mistakes. hopefully being 2nd to Gabby will light a fire under her, and push her to bring her A-Game to Olympics.

devastated for Alaine...her practices and even warm ups were pretty flawless with 3Lz-3T and fully rotated jumps. yet when she gets to competition, her nerves just destroy her and her confidence is nonexistent. Larkyn showed a bit more fight and better performance quality...but she was still kind of a nervous mess too. hard to say who should get the 3rd spot, though it doesn't really matter. I actually thought Aurora Cotop had a surprisingly solid skate and showed the most future potential.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Liked Kaetlyn this time, and her program, actually, has grown on me. First when I saw her scores overall and her presentation components I got doubtful, but having watched I changed my mind. She got softer, her move across the ice not so bend as it was before and she hit the nuances pretty well too