Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I will wait to see what he actually does. I still think Orser is in "spin" mode. Has anyone actually seen Hanyu doing these jumps lately?

couple of weeks ago Javi said Yuzu is back to shape and is training well. Its not like we are spoiled by Hanyu updates about trainings even when he is not injured. He has been hiding 4lz until cor, when media asked him whether he is going to include lz in summer, he said no, and he did include it. So I think Orser is telling truth here, it would be weird for him to say "omg he is awesome and doing great" and people see he is not than Orser saying "he has little bit of pain" the way he said prior to ACI 17. I think Yuzuru is really fine, no way orser would raise expectations if he had any doubt in him :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What is spin mode? As in spinning stories?

Spin mode means projecting something more positive than what is actually the case. Like, any coach has to be optimistic to the media regardless of whether it is or isn't the case. It makes sense to keep people calm than create panic.

LadyLou

Rinkside
But if Hanyu is really in bad shape, in a few days all the world would see. It makes NO sense promotion-wise to say he can jump a 4 quad layout when instead he is barely doing one or two in practice. It would totally backfire.
PR-wise it would make much more sense to downplay things a bit, like saying "he's better but not expect miracles" and then let the miracle happen. It would have a higher impact on EVERYONE.
That said, I believe Orser is being absolutely honest here.

Anyway, thanks for reminding all of us that a skater who has BARELY had ONE month of on-ice training after injuring his RIGHT ankle is ONLY doing the EASY quads. I wonder why skaters who have been healthy al season aren't all doing those easier quads. And why the guys doing the harder quads and who were NOT side-lined for 2 months have downgraded their layouts all the same.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
The guy was on wheel chair in 2014 and few weeks later easily won GPF landing all planned quads

I don't think Orser is saying something that isn't truth.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
PR-wise it would make much more sense to downplay things a bit, like saying "he's better but not expect miracles" and then let the miracle happen. It would have a higher impact on EVERYONE. .

Well, that PR approach would certainly be a win-win scenario... if the athlete does well, then wow it's a miracle!... but if the athlete does poorly well, then ah well, it was an inevitability and we were warned not to have expectations.

Back in 1998 Olympics, there's a reason Elvis Stojko didn't talk about his groin injury/flu recovery prior to competing -- he didn't want it to be viewed as an excuse, and I totally respected him for that. Downplaying an athlete's status in order to lower expectations is not an approach I personally agree with, and respectable coaches and athletes shouldn't do it, IMO.

Anyway, thanks for reminding all of us that a skater who has BARELY had ONE month of on-ice training after injuring his RIGHT ankle is ONLY doing the EASY quads. I wonder why skaters who have been healthy al season aren't all doing those easier quads. And why the guys doing the harder quads and who were NOT side-lined for 2 months have downgraded their layouts all the same.

LOL, relaaax. I apologize if mentioning the fact that other guys do harder quads somehow triggered you (for reference: 4Z/4F/4L are hard quads, 4S/4T are easy quads -- please refer to the Scale of Values: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/14352-isu-communication-2089/file).

I was simply saying that Hanyu's chances at holding off the other guys are better if he does a 4L because other guys will likely be attempting 4+ quads, including 4F and 4Z. And I said it would be a shame if he didn't do the 4L at the Olympics since he's worked hard to get that jump, has found some success with it, and it helps his base value considerably.

If you want to twist/extrapolate my comments -- and follow up with deriding skaters who were fortunate enough to stay healthy this season -- then that's on you. You do you, boo. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
how many quads Patrick has though? :drama:

Well, that depends on how literally he wants to take my reference to his name as “Chiddy Chiddy Bang Bang”. Or maybe he’ll be Chiddy Chiddy Splat Splat, or Chiddy Chiddy Pop Pop. :biggrin::devil:

Personally, I would loooove to see a Chiddy Chiddy stay on your feet and land everything performance, perhaps one equal to that of his 2016 4CC freeskate. Ooooh, I’m gonna go rewatch it right now!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMWoPkP1cJk :love:

Congratulations SarahSynchro :hap10:. Best wishes for a healthy human who inherits, learns, and benefits from your wit and wisdom :)

Thank you! :ghug: Can you imagine: multiple generations of me, all posting at GS? Some will love it, some will likely want to gauge their eyeballs out with a fork and then put us all on permanent ignore. :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, if Patrick and Yuzuru skate back to back in the individual, I fear we will have another sequel to Pop-n-Splatz: Sochi Edition, and Pop-n-Splatz: 2016 Skate Canada International Edition.

No more sequels! I hated both of those movies! :ddevil:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Personally, I would loooove to see a Chiddy Chiddy stay on your feet and land everything performance, perhaps one equal to that of his 2016 4CC freeskate. Ooooh, I’m gonna go rewatch it right now!

:clap: I'd love to see all the guys go clean and show their best. After the hot mess of the last Olympics, the field needs to show the world they are capable of better (you know, along with the crazy technical content increases, lol). I think with a supportive Korean audience and after getting the craziness of this season out of the way, they're primed to shine. :)

chairmanmao

Final Flight
There is this thing they call sarcasm but someone does not get it :dance2:

Of course Dick Button would not refer to Hanyu because he wants someone with similar style as the Dick Button in the past (Javier) to win. I respect the old man but if he believe comical style is the best artistic way for men skating... :laugh: people get to be biased and it is ok but somehow it's too hilarious.

I highly doubt Boston 2016 was a comical performance. But I understand where the apprehension comes from:). Still there is really no need to shade everyone of Hanyu's closest competitors in a thread about his fitness. Just hope he is competitive ready first before going off exalting him as the one entitled to receive the gold medal.

Putina

On the Ice
I have absolutely no idea who is being bashed for fake quads and bad quality crossovers. Can someone enlighten me?

da96103

Record Breaker
I have absolutely no idea who is being bashed for fake quads and bad quality crossovers. Can someone enlighten me?

You must be new here. Stick around and you'll be in sync with all the inside stories at golden skate.

da96103

Record Breaker

The reason:

Fake quads: severe pre-rotation
Bad quality crossovers: excessive double-footed skating

Some fans took them seriously and got upset that judges do not take them into account. I personally don't really pay attention to those features too much.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I don't think that Rippon has a quad, fake or real.

Doesn't Rippon have a quad Toe? Only the injury from last season is making him unable to jump it now, so he switched to attempting the 4Lz, which yes, is not there.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think that Rippon has a quad, fake or real.

Actually he has a 4T and a 4Lz and I've seen them over time in practices, on warm-up, and so on. He stopped doing the toe after his foot injury.