Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history

ks777

Record Breaker
Thanks for the images Vanshilar, but the way you are determining takeoff direction is not correct. The image on the right actually shows the point where Mirai was already 1/4 revolution into the jump. There is a 90-degree "prerotation" before the blade leaves the ice, and that 1/4 revolution is counted as part of the 3 1/2 revolutions of a 3A.

But hey, if Mirai's 3A looks clean even when you rob her of 1/4 revolution, then that proves it to be squeaky clean. :laugh:

ETA: Here's the correct way to look at where a 3A should land based on its takeoff direction: https://youtu.be/kcKWfHDD0fg?t=5m6s The blue line is the actual takeoff direction.

Everyone prerotates their edge jump. Even men.

da96103

Record Breaker
went out of my boycotting of these games hybernation to congratulate dear Mirai!

I knew such persistent, disciplined, devoted, hard working & fun gal will go & achieve her goals!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow::yahoo::hap93:
I bet Tom Z & Papa Mishin are super happy for her!:dance:

Come back. Why are you boycotting the games when this is the bud that will make 3A the staple of ladies skating.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
So proud of her!! This is the fourth place finisher at the Vancouver Olympics and 8 years later she is doing a 3A and landed 8 triples!! AT THE OLYMPICS:yahoo::yahoo:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Eh I'm not sure what you mean. The image on the right is the last frame where she was still on the ice. A straight line from that point to her landing position is the line against which the blade needs to be within a quarter turn of (IIRC some considers it the imaginary curve continuing from the takeoff curve to the landing curve -- but from physics the body's center of mass is traveling in a straight line over the ice when in the air). It's just used to establish the direction of the jump when measuring the amount of rotation of the blade on the landing (the image on the left). I'm not looking at how much she's pre-rotated on takeoff.

The thing is, you do not draw that line starting from the point where her blade leaves the ice (in your words, the last frame where she was still on the ice)... Rather, you draw the line in the direction she steps into the jump, which is 90 degrees earlier. So the correct line is actually perpendicular to the line you are drawing, and a fully rotated landing would mean her blade is facing our right-hand direction.

Everyone prerotates their edge jump. Even men.

Yes absolutely. The 90-degree skid is part of the axel jump. I think Mirai's 3A technique is exemplary, and this one in particular was landed squeaky clean.

I think that this feat will be "historic" in more ways than one. This will certainly mark the beginning of more and more ladies trying the triple Axel until in a few y=ears it will be de rigeur for ladies just like the quad is for men.

It is one thing for an incredible jumping machine like Midoori Ito to do it, or Mao Asada, one of the all-time greats in the history of the sport. But here is Mirai, deciding at age 23-24 saying, "Oh, I guess I'll go out and add a triple Axel to my repertoire. Why not?" This has got to have youngsters in juveniles and intermediates buzzing, "I want to do what Mirai did!"

Both Carolina and Mirai were sent strong messages by the judges.

They were? What was the message? To Carolina, all they said was, "If you skate well you will get good marks; if you skate not so well, you won't." To Mirai they said, "You go girl, that's what I'm talking about!"

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mirai's 3A looked even bigger than Tonya's and it definitely had more distance. How a skater who was known for chronic under rotations was able to pull off that giant jump is simply amazing. She worked hard for this and she'll have this moment for the rest of her life.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Is Mirai the oldest woman to land a 3A? When was the last time Mao landed a clean one?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's 3A looked even bigger than Tonya's and it definitely had more distance. How a skater who was known for chronic under rotations was able to pull of that giant jump is simply amazing. She worked hard for this and she'll have this moment for the rest of her life.

Part of it is because her double axel was always her best jump--big and never prone to underrotation. I think credit also has to go to Tom Z. Not only did he help her get her 3A, he helped her achieve excellent technique. Johnny has discussed how Rafael had changed Nathan's technique to the skid entry, which apparently is preferable--I'll let the experts weigh in on that. Johnny noted Mirai's skid entry in his commentary. What I noticed was the height she got. Not in Midori territory but not that far away, either.

Warwick360

Medalist
Yeah every local news channel here in Seattle were mentioning Mirai's 3axel. Also the ladies at the View were talking about Mirai today.

More amazing is the fact how the news of her achievement has been ubiquitously reported throughout the social media. It's all over the FB pages of British newspapers/broadcasters.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Happy for Mirai. Maybe she will be the next to land three 3As at olympics.
Hope that this will give Wakaba the motivation to land hers.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Hope Mirai stay away from all these media storm until the individual event is over.

The "Can she do it again?" pressure is going to be huge, and I just dread NBC is going to give her the Nathan Chen treatment before the SP.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
The thing is, you do not draw that line starting from the point where her blade leaves the ice (in your words, the last frame where she was still on the ice)... Rather, you draw the line in the direction she steps into the jump, which is 90 degrees earlier. So the correct line is actually perpendicular to the line you are drawing, and a fully rotated landing would mean her blade is facing our right-hand direction.

I'm not sure if you understand the line I'm drawing. I've uploaded another picture with the line in blue:

http://s898.photobucket.com/user/Va...u 3A Composite with Line_zps9gqbhl2n.png.html

If a skater prerotates 90 degrees, and I'm drawing a line from the takeoff point to the landing point, isn't the line from the direction she steps into the jump going to be in the same direction (except for the width of the takeoff "hook" part of the takeoff)? I'm not sure what line you're thinking of to measure the landing rotation against.

Full video from NBC.

Uh...I must say for 1080p...this quality is not that great? :scratch2:

And it's not in 60 FPS either :( NBC puts up all these cameras all around the rink, recording probably at around 20000 FPS or something in ultra high resolution or something, and what they put on youtube is...this. Oh well.

Hope Mirai stay away from all these media storm until the individual event is over.

The "Can she do it again?" pressure is going to be huge, and I just dread NBC is going to give her the Nathan Chen treatment before the SP.

Yeah I'm worried that she'll end up like Yulia. But I think Mirai is a much more seasoned competitor and a lot more used to the media. Let's hope for an even better performance in the individual :)

frida80

Record Breaker

She’s been on social media, but her tone is pretty calm. I think she’s relishing the attention, but I don’t think it’s hit her yet.

What I think will happen, is as soon as her parents land she’s going to get really serious. Her Dad never comes to her competitions, including nationals because he has to run the restaurant and earn a living. He’s actually closed it just to see her. Last time he did that it was Vancover. She’s going to want to show them a performance of a lifetime.

Imagine

Medalist
I just noticed...but are her skates duct-taped??? :unsure:

That’s allowed? Makes me think of the movie when Tonya was flipping out over the laces...who knew tape could’ve done the trick...

ks777

Record Breaker
I just noticed...but are her skates duct-taped??? :unsure:

That’s allowed? Makes me think of the movie when Tonya was flipping out over the laces...who knew tape could’ve done the trick...

well if you are not usually skating with duct tape around your skates, it's not good idea to use them in competitions. I have done that with hockey skates a few times and it was a bad idea. It throws off your edges.. I usually keep my skates not too tight but when I tighten them too tight, it throws me off.