Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just noticed...but are her skates duct-taped??? :unsure:

That’s allowed?

Not uncommon among other skaters. ... so I always have assumed that it is allowed.

well if you are not usually skating with duct tape around your skates, it's not good idea to use them in competitions. ...

And not uncommon for Mirai to use duct tape in competition (and in training).

alvina9894

Final Flight
Sorry but seriously you're ratifying the rotation of a jump with two STATIC photos? And one before takeoff and the other after landing - which clearly overestimates the jump by at least one frame.

No offense to Mirai I'm really happy for her to prove herself on the Olympic ice, but you really need at least a gif to ratify jump rotations

skatenewbie

Medalist
Is Mirai the oldest woman to land a 3A? When was the last time Mao landed a clean one?
if she land it by start of next season then she will be oldest, Mao did it at 25y 3 months, August this year or start of int competition she will be 25y 4 months

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If we count nationals, Midori Ito landed one at 1996 nationals. She was 26y4months.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Rika Kihira is the youngest i assume. I think that she was 14y 1month, Mao 14y 2months

Edit: Both were 14y 2months. But Rika is the youngest by days.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Rika Kihira is the youngest i assume. I think that she was 14y 1month, Mao 14y 2months

Mao landed a 3A at a Chubu Regional competition at 12 years 1 month.

Plushenko landed two triple axels in his free skate to win the 1997 Junior World title at 14 years 1 month, so I assume he was doing them before then as well.

ks777

Record Breaker
Mao landed a 3A at a Chubu Regional competition at 12 years 1 month.

Plushenko landed two triple axels in his free skate to win the 1997 Junior World title at 14 years 1 month, so I assume he was doing them before then as well.

Mao's jumps around 12yo were severely underrotated.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Stephen Gogolev must be the youngest. In internationals competitions i don't know if 3A is allowed in advanced novice. But there was many 13yo who landed 3A.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think with a strict panel that 3A might be called UR but since she did land all the jumps they gave it to her? I think even so she deserved the 2nd skate of the night. Truly a great story.

And by strict panel, you mean a blind panel, right? :laugh: That 3A was definitely clean. Not the smoothest landing, but one foot, fully rotated.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm usually a Nagasu microscope checker. That 3A was VERY clean. She stayed high on her blade through the exit which is what made the exit look wobbly-ish/ possibly short to some. The 3T was closer to < on the back of the combo

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just want to congratulate Mirai on her achievement, and hope she will be able to replicate it in the individual event. What a wonderful validation for all her efforts and perseverence.:)

Note: Unfortunately for me, I missed the moment live, as my TV broadcast chose the moment she took her opening pose to freeze up, and by the time I'd got it back on, it was into her program, and I didn't know at all what I'd missed. "She lands another jump", says the commentators, and I'm all "What 'another jump'?! Has she landed the 3A or not?!" Very frustrating.

renla

Rinkside
I'm recording everything, so I have to actively avoid any news updates on my phone. Her triple axel was spoiled when I checked my phone before going to work and I was pretty bummed because it would have been amazing to watch her land it without knowing beforehand.

Also, my coworkers know I skate so they've been watching, too! Some of them recognized 'triple axel' and understood that Mirai had done something very special. One asked me if it was too late for me to make it to the Olympics. :laugh2:

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Sorry but seriously you're ratifying the rotation of a jump with two STATIC photos? And one before takeoff and the other after landing - which clearly overestimates the jump by at least one frame.

No offense to Mirai I'm really happy for her to prove herself on the Olympic ice, but you really need at least a gif to ratify jump rotations

Um if you want to make a gif, go ahead. Putting a composite image of the jump takeoff and landing is much less work and has enough explanatory power.

The composite image establishes two things:

1. The direction of travel of the jump, i.e. the line against which the landing rotation is measured.
2. The amount of rotation of the skate when it touched the ice.

Now if you think gif's are better, go for it. But how is a gif different than showing a video in slow motion and then going "see! that was rotated!" or "see! that was under-rotated!"? It doesn't really *show* anything necessarily unless you provide the proper context, which a composite image does. It's basically data without information.

The frame before the one I used, Mirai still hasn't touched down -- or at least, it certainly seems to me like it hasn't touched the ice yet. You can choose either the one where she's already touched down or the one where she's still in the air -- the actual landing is somewhere in the middle. So a higher-FPS video is better, but I haven't found one. So if you'd like to provide one, go ahead.

Putina

On the Ice
^ I believe largeman is looking at the blades in those pictures while you use the blue line you drew to indicate the direction of the jump. I think both of you are correct.