2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 108 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

padme21

On the Ice
NBC did a horrible job marketing Nathan Chen they build him up as a medal contender even after his disastrous short program and now a lot of people are upset with the actual Podium finishers because they think he should be on the podium the reality is after his short landing and 17th Place he had no shot in the medal. Nathan did win the free skate though. Congrats to Nathan and Vincent for finishing in the top 6!

Kittosuni

Medalist
Could Nathan had done it the Yusuru way? I mean stay away from all attention and media. Or is he too dependent of commercial income?

i have the impression that half of it was set up by his own federation. Can he say no to his own federation? It also did not do him good that he is portrayed that everything about him is the quad (which he is right now) but zero mention to performance/PCS (which he is decent). Now common Americans fans thinks he is rubbed because he had 6 quads.

American media also set him up as the one to beat instead of the underdog narrative.

i think with the less hype going to worlds, he is going to do great there.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Now Nathan should focusing on getting world medal! Who would not participate? Javi and Patrick have the highest chance. In 2014 Yuzu did compete at WC but its in Japan so its kinda expected? I mean this time its his 2ND OGM so he might want to rest for awhile. The other podium contender probably would participate WC like Shoma/Boyang. But i can see Kolyada withdraw idk why lol.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so thrilled for Nathan, and proud of him. Coming back from that SP to skate so triumphantly in the Free Skate took guts. And it took the ability to let go of what he couldn't do anything about ... especially the immediate past! Six quads! That was some great skating. Talk about a triumph of will over crushing disappointment. You showed your character, Nathan! :bow: :luv17::hap93::bow:

Congratulations to Vincent, Adam, and Nathan. All three in the top 10 ... and together they show a wonderful diversity of style and skating values in our American men. I'm particularly happy that we had Adam there to show that we value artistry and purity in skating. And Vincent, what can I say, wears his heart on his sleeve which I find endearing, and hey, he did five quads himself.

Our men's team acquitted themselves very well. :hap10:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One more thing. Nathan won the Free Skate at the Olympics !!! That is a big effing deal, in that field of competitors! :)

concorde

Medalist
Congratulations to Vincent, Adam, and Nathan. All three in the top 10 ... and together they show a wonderful diversity of style and skating values in our American men. I'm particularly happy that we had Adam there to show that we value artistry and purity in skating. And Vincent, what can I say, wears his heart on his sleeve which I find endearing, and hey, he did five quads himself.

Our men's team acquitted themselves very well. :hap10:

:2thumbs:

They did great!

I still think that Vincent is the still the most undervalued US man. It must be hard that he is always #2 to Nathan when he is amazing in his own right. You have to wonder if in a could more years, we will have a another Hanyu / Uno situation. Uno is now the reigning Olympic and World Silver medalist, but is still the #2 Japanese man.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
:2thumbs:

They did great!

I still think that Vincent is the still the most undervalued US man. It must be hard that he is always #2 to Nathan when he is amazing in his own right. You have to wonder if in a could more years, we will have a another Hanyu / Uno situation. Uno is now the reigning Olympic and World Silver medalist, but is still the #2 Japanese man.

What Vincent needs is consistency. I think he's heading in the right direction with his last few events. Next season will really be his chance to make a strong international statement as to his competitiveness.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Programming note:
Coming up next on NBC is Tirico live interview with Nathan, Vincent, Adam. :popcorn:

ETA:
The interview was fine, but nothing special. Only a few minutes total in length, so each of the three had a chance to speak for barely a minute or so. I think Tirico was coming up against a hard out. The interview was the last segment before 11:00 pm ET.​

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I hope Nathan is relaxed for the long program now that he's out of medal contention, and that he goes out with a bang and decides to do a six quad long....something like this:

Quad Lutz+Triple Toeloop
Quad Flip
Quad Salchow
Change Foot Camel Spin
Step Sequence
Quad Toeloop+Double Toeloop
Quad Lutz
Quad Toeloop
Triple Axel
Triple Lutz+Double Toeloop+Double Loop
Choreo Sequence
Fly. Change Foot Comb. Spin
Change Foot Combination Spin

I'm happy to see that with the exception of a few minor last minute switches, nate took my advice, lol!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are some more of those cool longer-exposure photos. The first one is incredible, of Nathan in the middle of a quad. In another one, his legs seem to disappear ...

It's a whole series of photos of Nathan, Vincent and Adam during their Free skates. https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/F...The-Time-Of-Their-Lives-At-Olympic-Free-Skate

From Meryl Davis' recap of the men's free skate with TeamUSA.

As an athlete myself, I’m grateful for the reminder that you have neither to be perfect nor must you win in order to possess the qualities of a champion. https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/F...letes-Everywhere-Giving-Up-Is-Never-An-Option

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
that was so heratbreacking like asada's skate in 2014.... spoiled short and goregous free... i hope nathan didn't upset about that so much... i mean he beat everyone in the free program and he was not even in the top 3 overall.....

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll always have the image in my mind of Nathan's joy, as he performed his FS and at the end. I think it was his best performance of Mao's Last Dancer ... possibly, for me, because it was so emotionally resonant. In a way, you could hypothesize that Nathan felt the program more because his experiences of the past week moved him closer to the character. But also, he skated free.

And yes, there's that ,,,, he won the free skate, by a whopping 8.91 points, when he'd been behind Yuzuru by a staggering 29.41 points, going into the FS. It's hard even now, for those numbers to sink in.