Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

jaylee

Medalist
The major part of TES is what the technical panel assigns.

In the FS, Osmond has only 4 jumping passes in the bonus zone; Medvedeva has 5 and Zagitova, 7. Osmond will always be behind in TES on that basis alone, and if she isn't completely clean, her TES shrinks even more.

Osmond will always be behind in TES? You never know...they could implement a rule stating that the bonus only applies to the last 3-4 jumping passes, or that it only applies in the last minute of the program. Depending on the change, it could definitely erase Medvedeva and Zagitova's TES advantage over the field. Or, hey, a rule limiting the amount of times a tano can be used to fulfill a +GOE feature.

Rules that are exploited by skaters typically get changed.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Anyways is there any idea when we can next expect to see Medvedeva? A summer competition or ice show? I'm sure many will be curious to know what programs she has next season. Maybe we need to wait for an interview by Ilia?

She was confirmed for some ice shows in Japan, but idk if it still stands given the news of the time she needs to avoid jumping. Perhaps she could go and skate without jumps? I think her Sailor Moon EX would be just as entertaining without them :biggrin: but it's probably still too soon to talk about next season's programs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please stay on topic. Do not re-litigate the results of Sochi in a completely unrelated thread.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Anyways is there any idea when we can next expect to see Medvedeva? A summer competition or ice show? I'm sure many will be curious to know what programs she has next season. Maybe we need to wait for an interview by Ilia?

Medvedeva has been on a radio show yesterday and she said that she will probably still do the shows in Japan, and that she wants to learn the 4S in the near future :) As for competition, we'll probably have to wait until September for a CS event. She usually does one before the Grand Prix begins.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Please stay on topic. Do not re-litigate the results of Sochi in a completely unrelated thread.

It was just an example.

I didn't bring the whole "Osmond should have won" discussion here.

Anyway i hope Medvedeva will spend some time to make her programs more difficult because that's clearly where she lost the gold. Add a 2lo on the 3 jumps combination for example.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
This is also when Wakaba was clean and Alina wasn't perfectly clean. Now that Alina is clean, I think it's fair that she's farther ahead of Wakaba...

Yeah, because her PCS suddenly skyrocketed about 8 points from junior season for the exact same program, but even more rushed. Meanwhile, Wakaba was underscored and was not getting the GOE she deserved. Wakaba should've been ahead in that competition in PCS for sure, and overall about 2-3 points ahead of Alina. In fact, Wakaba got lower PCS for a perfect performance in CoC than Rostelecom, which just doesn't make sense, since her actual skating and PE was better at CoC. Shame on the judges.

Also, I'm with yume on this one. That's a lot of ice shows and jumping for someone who's injured. Hope it doesn't, erm, exacerbate the condition,

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Yeah, because her PCS suddenly skyrocketed about 8 points from junior season for the exact same program, but even more rushed. Meanwhile, Wakaba was underscored and was not getting the GOE she deserved. Wakaba should've been ahead in that competition in PCS for sure, and overall about 2-3 points ahead of Alina.

Look, I love Wakaba and I think she definitely deserves 2-3 points more than she usually gets in PCS, but Alina should not receive the same PCS she did when she was in juniors! She has improved a lot and that should show.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Look, I love Wakaba and I think she definitely deserves 2-3 points more than she usually gets in PCS, but Alina should not receive the same PCS she did when she was in juniors! She has improved a lot and that should show.

:thumbsup:
if you watch Alina from previous year and this one - the difference is striking...
for example watch her JGPF performance and compare with Olympics, the difference will be huge

singerskates

On the Ice
The major part of TES is what the technical panel assigns.

In the FS, Osmond has only 4 jumping passes in the bonus zone; Medvedeva has 5 and Zagitova, 7. Osmond will always be behind in TES on that basis alone, and if she isn't completely clean, her TES shrinks even more.
Yeah, our Canadian ladies need to start backloading all their jumps and throwing in 3 quad jumping passes to rule the world. Unfortunately, Canada believes in well balanced programs. It's mentioned in every competition package in Canada.

Grin

Medalist
Yeah, our Canadian ladies need to start backloading all their jumps and throwing in 3 quad jumping passes to rule the world. Unfortunately, Canada believes in well balanced programs. It's mentioned in every competition package in Canada.

Actually Canadian ladies can have balanced programs with quads (in theory)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So, in the hypothetical scenario that a skater would have a total of 3 quad/3A jumps in the first half and 4 jumping passes in the second, what would make the program imbalanced?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm actually really starting to come around to the theory that if I believe that skating is more than jumping then I should be okay with all the jumps at the beginning or end because the other elements should matter as much. In that case, if the elements are equal, all elements in the back half (spins, footwork, jumps) should get a bonus or no bonus at all.

It still doesn't feel quite "right" to me. I want to see the elements more evenly split. I think the ideal might be 3-4 (get the bonus for the last four but it's not like watching a jumping drill with all of them one after another, after another). I prefer to see a jump or two, a spin, a jump, a spin, a footwork sequence, a jump, a jump, a choreographic sequence and/or a spin or jump. Also, if you want to put all the jumps at the beginning or at the end can you please chose music that reflects that.

moriel

Record Breaker
So, in the hypothetical scenario that a skater would have a total of 3 quad/3A jumps in the first half and 4 jumping passes in the second, what would make the program imbalanced?

Depends.
If that is a russian skater, surely it will be imbalanced. I mean, you don't just stick all quads and 3As in first half and have just triples in second? Also, TES for quads is way too high, so the artistry ends up undervalued. The skater is too young to do quads anyways. Also, this is an example of the very wrong direction figure skating is taking.
If its a north american skater, thats a balanced program (unlike those nasty backloaded programs) and displays the great athleticism of the skater. Amazing, lets all clap.

Welcome to goldenskate.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

I think 3-4 is the ideal set up if you can do it. I'm okay with Evgenia's 2-5 split. I don't notice it as much. I have to say Alina's backloading is very noticeable to me and it's not to my taste but I do admire her for being able to do it. The rule is there to be used to the benefit of those who can do it and if Alina is the only one who can do it she should profit. To me, the PCS should reflect that it does have an effect on the program just as front loading does.

I think we shouldn't just shrug off that it's difficult to do, as some people do, because if it was so easy a lot more people would do it.

I just personally prefer a program that feels balanced to me. 4-3, 3-4, 2-5 and even 5-2 at least feels more balanced to me.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

She will be behind on base value, but can (and maybe should) make up that difference with GOE. Of the three medalists, Kaetlyn's jumps have the best height, distance, and flow out. The Russians have more difficult entrances and exits, as well as different air positions. Depending on what a judge values more, the GOE awarded can vary substantially.

Grin

Medalist
Depends.
If that is a russian skater, surely it will be imbalanced. I mean, you don't just stick all quads and 3As in first half and have just triples in second? Also, TES for quads is way too high, so the artistry ends up undervalued. The skater is too young to do quads anyways. Also, this is an example of the very wrong direction figure skating is taking.
If its a north american skater, thats a balanced program (unlike those nasty backloaded programs) and displays the great athleticism of the skater. Amazing, lets all clap.

Welcome to goldenskate.
No, we don't discriminate skaters based on their nationality. But if your coach is Eteri or you train in Moscow/St Petersburg your jumps, spins and steps in the second part should perfectly mirror the 1st part ( you'll have to spin and rotate in opposite direction too)

Jedi

On the Ice
Okay ah I thought this thread was about Evgenia withdrawing from worlds' nothing about the state of women's skating and the need to up the tech. I hope Evegenia can heal and I also hope this withdrawl has nothing to do with her losing Euros and the OGM. I hope this has NOTHING to do with a psychological break down. It is so sad that we live in a world where possibly "life" is over for an 18 year old who really does a lot of backloading and hard tricks but the world is getting precarious scarey with even more difficult tricks.

russianfan

Match Penalty

:laugh2:

I can show you how stupid all complaints about backloading are. We can take Olympics as an example.

Alina SP backloading bonus: 1.11(3Lz+3Lo) + 0.53(3F) + 0.33(2A) = 1.97
Evgenia SP backloading bonus: 0.96(3F+3T) + 0.51(3Lo) + 0.33(2A) = 1.8
Kaetlyn SP backloading bonus: 0.33 (2A) = 0.33

Alina FS backloading bonus: 0.6(3Lz) + 0.76(2A+3T) + 0.84(3F+2T+2Lo) + 1.11(3Lz+3Lo) + 0.44(3S) + 0.53(3F) + 0.33(2A) = 4.61
Evgenia FS backloading bonus: 0.53(3F) + 0.51(3Lo) + 0.59(2A+2T+2T) + 0.87(3S+3T) + 0.33(2A) = 2.83
Kaetlyn FS backloading bonus: 0.51(3Lo) + 0.53(3F) + 0.75(3S+2T+2Lo) + 0.33(2A) = 2.12

Total scores without backloading bonuses:
Alina: 239.57 - 1.97(SP Bonus) - 4.61(FS Bonus) = 232.99
Evgenia: 238.26 - 1.8(SP Bonus) - 2.83(FS Bonus) = 233.63
Kaetlyn: 231.02 - 0.33(SP Bonus) - 2.12(FS Bonus) = 228.57

As you can see Kaetlyn still third. Russians are still on top with a convenient margin. The funny thing is that even without any backloading bonuses for both russians, they still would have higher scores than Kaetlyn with all her backloading bonuses included... May be problem is not in the backloading? May be something else is a problem? Like, technical content(3Lz-3Lo vs flutz)?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I think 3-4 is the ideal set up if you can do it. I'm okay with Evgenia's 2-5 split. I don't notice it as much. I have to say Alina's backloading is very noticeable to me and it's not to my taste but I do admire her for being able to do it. The rule is there to be used to the benefit of those who can do it and if Alina is the only one who can do it she should profit. To me, the PCS should reflect that it does have an effect on the program just as front loading does.

I think we shouldn't just shrug off that it's difficult to do, as some people do, because if it was so easy a lot more people would do it.

I just personally prefer a program that feels balanced to me. 4-3, 3-4, 2-5 and even 5-2 at least feels more balanced to me.

To me Alina's program gotten better with time, but it's still bit strange to watch. I was watching it with my mom (who has been watching figure skating since the 1960s) and she asked "don't you have to jump" in first half of the program:D, eventhough she really loved her overall. But still the first part feels empty and then it's cluttered with jumps, too fast...

I get the technical difficulty... but I would prefer if she jumped throughout the whole program (I actually LOVE when skaters jump within first seconds of their program). Also if she held her positions for few seconds more.