2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
Are Bobrova/Soloviev retired for good now? I notice they arent going to Worlds.

It’s one of those things where they say they are definitely taking a year break and then will come back if they feel like it! 99% of skaters who say that never feel like it!!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Congratulations to the new queen and king of Junior Ice Dance figure skating 2018! :clap:
Kids Ushakova/Nekrasov also did pretty nice job, the bronze medal! :clap:

Sad about pure beauty Sofia Shevchenko, though. :cry:

🥇🥉💔

bramweld

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the new queen and king of Junior Ice Dance figure skating 2018! :clap:
Kids Ushakova/Nekrasov also did pretty nice job, the bronze medal! :clap:

Sad about pure beauty Sofia Shevchenko, though. :cry:

🥇🥉💔

These two Arina and Maxim are amazing, the winners are also good but not my faves. Not feeling Sofia and partner, but they are young and have improved a lot this year. As I said the future of Russian ID lies in their juniors. There is something about Arina and Maxim that leads me to believe that when they make that leap from juniors to seniors it will not be a problem. :thumbsup::love:

Marta25

Medalist
So, so happy about Skoptcova/Aleshin`s Gold medal :hap10: :luv17:
Hopefully, they won`t fall under the Russian ice dance curse and this will just be the beginning for them. Also, a great result for Ushakova/Nekrasov. They are only in their 2nd junior season and already in the top 3. :clap:

Looks like things are looking up for Russian ice dance, at least the talent seems to be there, now let`s see how S/A will deal with the move up to seniors.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Now that they are world junior champs the dream is they are just one moment away from being coached by dubreuil or spiliband or zueva or Fusar poli

bramweld

Record Breaker
Now that they are world junior champs the dream is they are just one moment away from being coached by dubreuil or spiliband or zueva or Fusar poli

No in Russia that is literally called treason it appears, so the best we can hope for is a consultancy. Keep dreaming gmyers.

Mattieu

Medalist

So gmyers if Dubreil, Zoueva and Fusar-Poli are so good, why are their teams not winning Junior Worlds?
Why are 2 Russian teams ahead of all of their teams?
I think the North Americans should be sending their Junior teams to Russia, as the Junior training is clearly better than in North America.

bramweld

Record Breaker
So gmyers if Dubreil, Zoueva and Fusar-Poli are so good, why are their teams not winning Junior Worlds?
I think the North Americans should be sending their Junior teams to Russia, as the Junior training is clearly better than in North America.

Yeah it just seems that they plateau there and don't know what to do with their seniors.

I wonder if its all psycholigical. It seems to me that American/Canadian/others ice dancers are treated as adults and they get greater leeway to choose the direction of their career. The coaches in turn support and help them. In Russia it seems a couples artistic vision is determined by their coach and to deem to want it any other way is seen as being arrogant and self-centered. But if my memory serves me right, NM stated that EI did the majority of the music selection for Sochi. It seems that having a point of view is not entirely supported in Russian ID circles. How else do you explain Zhulin insisting that B/S keep that dud of a SD, that TAT herself thought was unimportant? Her words not mine.

Barb

Record Breaker

I think Marina is not able to put the same attention to all their skaters. When V/M and D/W were in Canton, Maia and Alex were totally neglected, even a lot of people think that she could not give the same attention to D/W and V/M.
A thing I admire about Gadbois school is that they seem very committed to all their teams, not just the top teams.

Marta25

Medalist
If I review S/A`s 3 junior season, I would say that Kustarova did a good job improving them from season to season. When they first came to the scene, they were already good, they managed to qualify right away for the JGPF, but they were very messy and uncontrolled with flying arms and legs all over the place. Starting with their last year`s blues, there was a real change in their overall skating, much more in control with great lines and better unison. As it was stated in here, the move up to seniors is unbelievable hard, teams like Parsons or L/D who were both crushing their competition in their last junior season really struggled this season. Although, a part of it were the program choices the coaches made for them.
I`m not so worried about the Short Dance, since I expect the tango being a good fit for S/A, my fear is that Kustarova is going to stuck them with a weird music choice for the FD just for the sake of standing out.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No in Russia that is literally called treason it appears, so the best we can hope for is a consultancy. Keep dreaming gmyers.
I will keep dreaming! 4 years of world junior champions or world junior medalists leading to Not one gpf medal or world medal or Olympic medal!

Because they know seniors is what’s important! Developing juniors for seniors not to win in juniors by any means necessary! If you need bent posture for speed do bent posture! If you have weak skating skills just try to keep up and don’t improve yourself! It’s a horrible destructive system that has meant no success in seniors for 4 years.

Yeah it just seems that they plateau there and don't know what to do with their seniors.

I wonder if its all psycholigical. It seems to me that American/Canadian/others ice dancers are treated as adults and they get greater leeway to choose the direction of their career. The coaches in turn support and help them. In Russia it seems a couples artistic vision is determined by their coach and to deem to want it any other way is seen as being arrogant and self-centered. But if my memory serves me right, NM stated that EI did the majority of the music selection for Sochi. It seems that having a point of view is not entirely supported in Russian ID circles. How else do you explain Zhulin insisting that B/S keep that dud of a SD, that TAT herself thought was unimportant? Her words not mine.

They know exactly what to do with seniors! It’s exactly the wrong thing! It’s 6.0 ice dance with ijs elements. Almost tarasova input is awful. She did say after the Olympics that b/s should have done a different short dance but usually her input in horrible disaster because she knows nothing about ijs technical elements! She only comments on music and costume and know only what worked in 6.0 and is totally ignorant of all aspects of modern ijs ice dance tactics.

If I review S/A`s 3 junior season, I would say that Kustarova did a good job improving them from season to season. When they first came to the scene, they were already good, they managed to qualify right away for the JGPF, but they were very messy and uncontrolled with flying arms and legs all over the place. Starting with their last year`s blues, there was a real change in their overall skating, much more in control with great lines and better unison. As it was stated in here, the move up to seniors is unbelievable hard, teams like Parsons or L/D who were both crushing their competition in their last junior season really struggled this season. Although, a part of it were the program choices the coaches made for them.
I`m not so worried about the Short Dance, since I expect the tango being a good fit for S/A, my fear is that Kustarova is going to stuck them with a weird music choice for the FD just for the sake of standing out.
All of kustarovas teams are total failures in seniors. That’s all that needs to be known. She knows nothing about how modern ijs senior ice dance works. There is precedent for this!

bramweld

Record Breaker
The problem with Kustarova is she's a one-trick pony. She needs fresh eyes, the way she did with A. Najarro who created Carmen and Frida. Look at the winning programs she's had for junior teams all through the years, she's more repetitive then Igor.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The problem with Kustarova is she's a one-trick pony. She needs fresh eyes, the way she did with A. Najarro who created Carmen and Frida. Look at the winning programs she's had for junior teams all through the years, she's more repetitive then Igor.

Her teams if good at all only have a brief period where things come together. It’s like everyone just goes slack! There is no consistency. You wonder if she stops training her teams or something. They reach a level and then they phone it in! Go on autopilot. No keeping the foot on the gas.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Have S/A done lyrical dances? They are good with character dances but hopefully they are flexibale enough to do lyrical if needed. As we know senior judges prefer certain type of dance for now, not sure if that will change this quad.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Have S/A done lyrical dances? They are good with character dances but hopefully they are flexibale enough to do lyrical if needed. As we know senior judges prefer certain type of dance for now, not sure if that will change this quad.

SA’s free dance last year was lyrical.

gmyers

Record Breaker

The issue is now getting the proper coach of lyrical. Will they be allowed to be Coached by dubreil type or debureuil herself! Russians won’t be allowed to do it! The issue is too much belief Russian drama is right. Can Russians coach lyrical right? Will they make it do dramatic and theatrical.

Mattieu

Medalist
The issue is now getting the proper coach of lyrical. Will they be allowed to be Coached by dubreil type or debureuil herself! Russians won’t be allowed to do it! The issue is too much belief Russian drama is right. Can Russians coach lyrical right? Will they make it do dramatic and theatrical.

Lyrical is so last season...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lyrical was not Skoptcova & Aleshin. The fact that people don't even remember that they did it is a sign.

They have been far more successful with blues & tango.

A plethora of teams do lyrical. It works better for Shpilevaya & Smirnov.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lyrical is so last season...

It’s in as long as P/C are around and dubreuil controls ice dance.

Lyrical was not Skoptcova & Aleshin. The fact that people don't even remember that they did it is a sign.

They have been far more successful with blues & tango.

A plethora of teams do lyrical. It works better for Shpilevaya & Smirnov.

S/A had the wrong coaches and choreographers for their lyrical. If someone who knew it did it maybe it would work. Can car mechanics just be airplane mechanics or vice versa? No!