2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 115 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
SOI Japan, and Kaetlyn's performance. 'Lost' for words....just beautiful! :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJM7FW2rup8

And Meagan and Eric with some great innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmqVnn0AInM

Tessa and Scott with a Michael Jackson ditty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft08caC6Ms4

And Chiddy, ''oh what a night.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szAZ6pnRxA4

Finally, 3 ladies champions had a 'Dream'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4A0VYP7r0

Thanks for these links. What D/R are doing, is just fantastic. Wow. And aren't the three ladies just wonderful together?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
See what I mean.....Skaters are dorks. It doesn't matter how many medals they have, how much money they have, they're still playful and fun. I Love it!

i'd go jumping around spanking myself if i had those assets ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
all i am saying is that it's NOT mandatory to do a triple for the juniors... that's all :)

lots of boys on JGP do a double axel... lots of girls (not the Russians of course) do a double jump... so here, Canada wants to encourage our juniors to develop as fast as the other countries which is good... but honestly, knowing Aurora doesn't yet have a stable 3lutz and her 3t-3t is iffy, i would have preferred to see her focus on her combo and just to a nice big 2lutz-rippon. Skating clean is also something that needs to be learned... and getting used to it is quite a task...

I will give you an example : the later you get into a clean performance, the more pressure you have to remain clean... some skaters get too excited after let's say the 3 jumps and will mess up a spin or steps... some skaters will indeed mess up the last jump after being clean for the entire program.. there seems to be a' hey!!! i am skating clean" curse... similar things happen in concerts for some performers with less experience... it's a focus on results... instead of process...

SO... that's something that needs to be learned as well... I wonder, since I am using Aurora here, how she would have dealt with her SP if she had been trying a double lutz...
instead of a jump that she knows may mean a huge fall....

in any case, Aurora is young.. if she remains in junior this year, she will enjoy her 3flip ;)

They can't make the solo jump a mandatory triple because the junior grand prix/Worlds is meant for skaters to develop. Of course the best junior ladies now are so good they are even better than the senior ladies. So you really have to up your game to be competitive. Realistically speaking developing skaters can have different goals. Like making top 10 at a JGP event. Or making the FS cut off at JWC. But simplifying your layout will hinder you in achieving those goals.

I think most skaters know if they simplify their layout they will go clean, if not cleaner. But it makes them less competitive. When you've got people backloading to get an extra 10% then why would someone want to actively do that? Unless they're injured.

See the fed doesn't really agree with you. They want you to go clean and land harder jumps. Actually going clean and getting the feeling of skating a clean program with simpler jumps is not supposed to be something you learn in junior. It's supposed to be something you do in novice and pre-novice. By junior you're a step away from senior. You should be more ready to compete than you've ever been. If you feel you're not ready for junior you can stay novice even longer. Skate Canada gives you three years to do it iirc. The one exception for this of course is pairs. Getting a triple twist takes time and there's growth spurts to be taken into consideration.

Aurora's problem this season was that she just learned her triple Lutz. She did not have one last season. And yet all that 3Lz practice did help her land a few. One off the top of my head was at Nationals in the FS. Doing a 2Lz in the SP would have hurt her even more because her 3T+3T isn't stable so she would be in a big points hole. A 2Lz is worth 2.10 points while a 3Lz is worth 6.00 points. With a fall on the 3Lz (-2.10 GOE and -1.00 for a fall) the points (2.90) work out to still be higher than a 2Lz with positive GOE. Meaning it's better to just go for the 3Lz, even if you risk a fall.

She subbed out the 3Lz anyways for a 3Lo in the SP at Nationals. And fell on that too. Despite doing a 3Lo all season in 2016-17 in the SP. Her problem is how late she's learned her jumps and how quickly she's progressing. Her and Stephen shot through the ranks at the same time. Basically coming out of nowhere in 2014-15/16 to the top of the junior ranks by 2017. But Stephen had more triples than her to begin with. She's catching up now. However the depth in ladies is deplorable so she's 5th as a junior lady despite her jump issues. She did put in a solid FS at Nationals though.

Aurora should stay junior and get one JGP. The 5 JGP spots should be divided amongst 5 ladies. And they should also be given another international assignment. No point giving two JGPs to anyone since no one seems likely to make JGPF.

There are also ladies with a full set of triples (Schumacher, Gran, Bockneck, Blanchard?) who can outscore Cotop. If they compete next season domestically as seniors you'll get to see who amongst them is the best at landing all those jumps.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
BV calculations are always done on paper. You can't avoid it. Unless you're Patrice Lauzon and can do these things in your head. :)

I'm totally willing to let the girls duke it out over the summer. Whoever wants those JGP spots should get their 3F sorted out and get a 3Lo3T or 3Lz3T lined up. And don't be dumb enough to try doing pairs at the same time.

I'm more interested in watching senior pairs, junior men, and junior ice dance this summer anyways. New teams, 14 JGP spots for men and ice dance respectively. It's gonna be fun. Though I'm sure some of you'll just focus on one good looking Danish dude. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
BV calculations are always done on paper. You can't avoid it. Unless you're Patrice Lauzon and can do these things in your head. :)

I'm totally willing to let the girls duke it out over the summer. Whoever wants those JGP spots should get their 3F sorted out and get a 3Lo3T or 3Lz3T lined up. And don't be dumb enough to try doing pairs at the same time.

I'm more interested in watching senior pairs, junior men, and junior ice dance this summer anyways. New teams, 14 JGP spots for men and ice dance respectively. It's gonna be fun. Though I'm sure some of you'll just focus on one good looking Danish dude. ;)

i am not as good as Patrice or Meagan but i can count BV quite fast... but i leave out spins and steps :) just jumps LOL

i think 3t-3t + 3f would be good enough ;) that's how Kaetlyn started out IIRC :)

Or ditch singles, get a new and better partner, and only do pairs ;) Schumacher-Boudreau-Audet for the win!

I think i am excited for JGP this season... i really wish though that L/L will stick to junior and even perhaps Conrad and Jo if they still can... and this is the big year for GOGO isn't it???

I cannot wait to see the Canes ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
i am not as good as Patrice or Meagan but i can count BV quite fast... but i leave out spins and steps :) just jumps LOL

i think 3t-3t + 3f would be good enough ;) that's how Kaetlyn started out IIRC :)

Or ditch singles, get a new and better partner, and only do pairs ;) Schumacher-Boudreau-Audet for the win!

I think i am excited for JGP this season... i really wish though that L/L will stick to junior and even perhaps Conrad and Jo if they still can... and this is the big year for GOGO isn't it???

I cannot wait to see the Canes ;)

Lol do you also do the backloading bonus? And what about URs and edge calls? :)

Yeah Aurora got that message and did the 3T3T. Hey if it works for Gabby then why not the junior girls? Though the BC girls appear to be headed towards 3Lz3T which is good.

L/L, Conrad, and Joseph should all stay junior. Two almost made the podium at Junior Worlds. Jo should aim for JGPF too. And Conrad should know he's going nowhere as a senior without a strong junior season with scores over 200 points.

Yup Stephen finally gets his turn on the JGP. If his 2018-19 season goes as his 2017-18 season did then I know posters here will bring out the knives. But that kid is so much better than that. I know it. He's shown it. I'll get to see who's ready to bully him though. ;)

Isn't that terrible? I already know to expect the worst here. But you learn these things after being here a while.

Lol Canes sound like the Hurricanes. Is this the official nickname now?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
h looked good with sumire ;) so why not ;)

who are these people? lol

Please just let Alison do singles! I'm sure there are some beautiful ladies in Quebec willing to do pairs, no? QC has been the place for pairs skating for a while now. Actually a few people were surprised that Francis posted a bio on IPS since it was just assumed Bruno or Richard would have a partner lined up for him.

Laurent is a skater from Quebec. Hannah is a skater who represents Ontario but trains in Quebec. She is Christian Reekie and Daniel Villeneuve's former pairs partner.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Please just let Alison do singles! I'm sure there are some beautiful ladies in Quebec willing to do pairs, no? QC has been the place for pairs skating for a while now. Actually a few people were surprised that Francis posted a bio on IPS since it was just assumed Bruno or Richard would have a partner lined up for him.

Laurent is a skater from Quebec. Hannah is a skater who represents Ontario but trains in Quebec. She is Christian Reekie and Daniel Villeneuve's former pairs partner.

Laurent Guay?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canadians.....Is there a clear #3 Lady from Canada. You hear so much Kaetlyn and Gabby but not much about the rest of ladies. I would guess it's Alaine Chartrand, right? Are there any other senior ladies threatening at Nationals?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canadians.....Is there a clear #3 Lady from Canada. You hear so much Kaetlyn and Gabby but not much about the rest of ladies. I would guess it's Alaine Chartrand, right? Are there any other senior ladies threatening at Nationals?

i feel this question was held up by the system for a few months....

right now.. there is nobody IMHO... let's wait and see if Alaine fixes her jumps with Krall (she won't fix anything with Joanne)

Larkyn remains a wild card... will her performances (subpar) at Worlds and Olympics motivate her to upgrade her jumps?

will Alicia Pineault, Aurora Cotop, Sarah Tamura, Emy Decelles, Kim Decelles, Kim Deguise Léveillé or even junior Sarah-Maude Blanchard fight their way to their third spot?

we will know a bit more this summer with the National Summer Series

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Alaine currently has the highest scoring potential among the ladies that aren't Kaetlyn and Gabby, but she's had a rough season and a lot of ur problems etc. If she can return to her previous form, she'd solidly be the #3 lady, as she was for the past few years (well one of the top 3, she's placed 1 and 2 before as well)

Many of the other ladies are quite inconsistent. At this point, there are a lot of possibilities for who will be #3, but it's hard to tell who will stick.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
L/L, Conrad, and Joseph should all stay junior. Two almost made the podium at Junior Worlds. Jo should aim for JGPF too. And Conrad should know he's going nowhere as a senior without a strong junior season with scores over 200 points.
I expect they all will. For L/L, especially, the ranks above them are so clogged that the Junior circuit has far more opportunities to earn laurels anyway. Grab one of those junior titles and you can hang your reputation on it through the early adult seasons where you’re generally waiting your turn to get a chance to move up.

Joseph, I’m sure, is dreaming of a 2019-20 debut senior season capped with a win at Nationals and a strong showing at the Montreal Worlds (right in his neck of the woods).

Lol Canes sound like the Hurricanes. Is this the official nickname now?
I vote for “CanaDanes”.

As related above, not really.

Chartrand must really be crushed by how this season went. All she had to do to go to the Olympics was keep it together, and she couldn’t do it. It’s an opportunity I expect she knows won’t come again.

There’s a fair bit of jostling below the top two. I could see Larkyn getting the nod again next year (she’s got presence to burn; the tech needs work), or it could be somebody completely different.